Suspension question 5-door owners plz help!

fam

:
10 Mazda5 GT AT, 10 Mazda3S GB GT 6SPD
Ever since I blew a tire on a HUGE pothole ( you could have put a newborn in it and it still wouldnt have filled it) I have been worried that I missed up (bent or misaligned) the suspension. I noticed that my back tires\wheels are very very slightly bowed in on the top of the tire\wheel and wider on the bottom (i know ricers that cut their springs get this unwanted effect). If someone would go make sure that your 5 door does the same thing and let me know please! :)

I think I might have answered my own question, this is a pic of when my car was 0 days old, you can kinda see that the back wheels are at an angle. I am paranoid and am smoking crack :p

Picture021.jpg

fam said:
Ever since I blew a tire on a HUGE pothole ( you could have put a newborn in it and it still wouldnt have filled it) I have been worried that I missed up (bent or misaligned) the suspension. I noticed that my back tires\wheels are very very slightly bowed in on the top of the tire\wheel and wider on the bottom (i know ricers that cut their springs get this unwanted effect). If someone would go make sure that your 5 door does the same thing and let me know please! :)
That is normal on this car, even stock. When you drop it can be even more. These cars have a lot of positive camber in the rear. It is a good thing. Look at sport cars. The same look on many of them. Ask your dealer about it.

All our cars have negative camber stock. Personally, I can't stand it. As soon as a refined camber kit hits the market (waiting for all the bugs of current kits to be worked out), I will be putting one on my car.

So yes, the negative camber is normal from the factory. Whether or not you change it is up to you.

Negative camber in the rear is a very good thing.

There is a reason that the 3 posts such good handling numbers. It's because under high cornering loads, the rear tires are very square with the pavement, maximizing total grip.

If you take out the negative camber, the rear will slide more and do less total work, upsetting the balance of the car and making it slower through the corners.

(no)

My Probe dosen't have negative camber and it handles very well stock. It's got some wider meatier tires on it than the 3 does, so my plan is go to wider on the 3. I dont like the looks of the rear wheels or the uneven wear.

badAzLava3 said:
Negative camber in the rear is a very good thing.

There is a reason that the 3 posts such good handling numbers. It's because under high cornering loads, the rear tires are very square with the pavement, maximizing total grip.

If you take out the negative camber, the rear will slide more and do less total work, upsetting the balance of the car and making it slower through the corners.

(no)
Well explained. I am not going to do any thing else to my car as far as handling. Not going to change the camber in the rear. I will rotate the tires to even the ware. I feel that it is very well balanced. I don't think that it really needs much after market help. Putting the RSA s on a 7 " rim really affected the feel of the car. Stiffened up the side wall for better responce and handling.

Some negative camber helps with cornering but any negative camber will adversely impact tire wear. That's why the maintenance schedule says to rotate the tires every 5,000 miles.

Personally, I'd rather have my tires last longer than be able to take a freeway ramp at 70mph.

But that's me.

Back