rx8 rims on mazda3

barod60

:
red Mazda 3
I found a set of rx8 rims for sale on ebay. i also found a place oo have them chromed. they look great. i asked my dealer if they would fit. they said yes but they weren't too convincing. has anyone tried this yet? do you think
i can get them on with out screwing something up? If i do get them, i'll
be putting a set of 17's up for sale.

barod60 said:
I found a set of rx8 rims for sale on ebay. i also found a place oo have them chromed. they look great. i asked my dealer if they would fit. they said yes but they weren't too convincing. has anyone tried this yet? do you think

Yes the RX8 rims will fit a Mazda3 with stock suspension for sure. I don't know about aftermarket springs. I have a set of RX8 rims with no tires that I traded my stock 17"s with RSAs for. If you use a 225/40/18 tire, its almost a perfect fit, you can check on Miata tire calculator for yourself. They weigh the same as our stock 17"s and the offset is 2mm off which is negligible. So they fit fine and you won't lose any performance.

I am planning to put the Fuzion ZRi rubber on them this summer.

barod60 said:

Yeah, they'll fit. I have a set myself and am waiting for my stock rubber to wear out to put them on. I saw a hatchback in Autralia with the OEM RX8 wheels on it.

if you put the rx8 wheels on don't you have to have the tpm system? i am not to sure how that works but aren't all rx8's equipped with that and isn't there some extra crap on the wheel that you need to hook up, or not hook. if you don't have it i guess you could just leave it or take it off or something along those lines. i was thinkin bout the rx8 rim myself. though i am swinging towards the light weight market now....

RedRaptor said:
Yes the RX8 rims will fit a Mazda3 with stock suspension for sure. I don't know about aftermarket springs. I have a set of RX8 rims with no tires that I traded my stock 17"s with RSAs for. If you use a 225/40/18 tire, its almost a perfect fit, you can check on Miata tire calculator for yourself. They weigh the same as our stock 17"s and the offset is 2mm off which is negligible. So they fit fine and you won't lose any performance.

I am planning to put the Fuzion ZRi rubber on them this summer.

is that 2mm in or out?

Saw them on a black Mazda 6 and they looked very nice.

tsunami said:
if you put the rx8 wheels on don't you have to have the tpm system? i am not to sure how that works but aren't all rx8's equipped with that and isn't there some extra crap on the wheel that you need to hook up, or not hook. if you don't have it i guess you could just leave it or take it off or something along those lines. i was thinkin bout the rx8 rim myself. though i am swinging towards the light weight market now....

The TPMS system is basically a set of battery operated sensors on the valve stem of the tires that broadcast to a recieving unit attached to the idiot light/buzzer on the dash. If pressure drops below a certain threshold, the unit whines, the reciever picks up on said whining, and lights up your dashboard.

if you don't have said receiving unit/light (IE: you bought a MZ3 without TPMS) then signals simply wont be recieved... if you have a TPMS system then there is a chance the signals used in your car won't be the same as the ones in your tire, so you might have to get things recalibrated.

hey man you should probably specify that by "M3" you mean mazda 3, because it isn't quite the same thing as a bmw m3 lol.

Minus said:
hey man you should probably specify that by "M3" you mean mazda 3, because it isn't quite the same thing as a bmw m3 lol.
Yeah, I opened this thread with hopes of seeing a real M3 with RX-8 rims. It would look weird, but would be an interesting experiment :D

cbcbd said:
Yeah, I opened this thread with hopes of seeing a real M3 with RX-8 rims. It would look weird, but would be an interesting experiment :D

Me three.

Here are some pics of an Aussie's car (shuand23?) with the RX8 rims installed.

mypic5.jpg

mypic6.jpg

mypic7.jpg

Yea, I was like

BMW M3+ Mazda RX8 wheels = wtf?

Those wheels look badass on that mazda 3 though.

Are these 225/45x18 tires?. If so this will certainly adversely affect the overall gearing. The tires certainly look huge in diameter. RED SP23

RED SP23 said:
Are these 225/45x18 tires?. If so this will certainly adversely affect the overall gearing. The tires certainly look huge in diameter. RED SP23

I believe the total tire height is the same at the stock setup.

RED SP23 said:
Sorry not so. The 225/45x18 is a bit bigger than the stock 205/50x17 OE . The same overall diameter 18" tyre is 225/40x18.

Check out this site for calculations. Put in your tire sizes to see comparison
RED SP23
http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

I didnt mean to say they are the
EXACT same size. He said they LOOK HUGE. I was just pointing out that they are not that much bigger than our OEM 205s. Not only that...but who knows what size tires are in those pics. For all we know they are 225/40s!!

Geeze...some people.

Last edited:
Back