Climate Control - 6s

bilcgo

I have a new Mazda 6s (2004) with climate control.

Before I bought it, I heard that it the controls were almost impossible to figure out, but I didn't really believe it. Now I do.

The manual doesn't seem to help much.

When I am in automatic climate control mode, the A/C light is always on. Does this mean the A/C is always functioning? Even in cold weather, I get blasts of cold air. Is the automatic climate control intended for both cold and hot weather conditions, or just to control the A/C?

Also, in auto mode, if I press the button to start the windshield defroster, the whole system kicks into manual mode. This makes no sense.

Can anyone help?

yeah the climate control is a little tricky.. I didn't end up getting it, also because I have a 6i. The RX-8 has an essentially identical climate system for the most part.. you may have some luck researching that.

The automatic climate control on most cars functions very similarly. It's either too hot or too cold despite the thermostat setting. And yes the A/C coming on even when it is really cold is normal, it's not just the Mazda6 that's messed up.

I would turn off automatic climate control and manually operate it.

The system is constantly making adjustments, those are the quick temerature changes you feel. The longer the car runs, the more it should even out. Take note that the AC is on. The AC is also always on if the defrost is running.

I found the climate control a bit weird too. I just kind of ignore the A/C light. If you push AUTO the car will turn on whatever is required whether it be heat or A/C depending on what you have the temp set for. Therefore the A/C light will be on whenever AUTO is being used.

If you just want outside temperature vent air then turn off AUTO, turn off A/C, turn down the temp setting all the way (like the red/blue dial on most cars) and turn the fan on.

If you want MAX A/C then you turn off AUTO, turn on A/C, turn the temp setting all the way down (Blue) and blast the fan.

If you want max heat then you turn off AUTO, turn off A/C, turn the temp setting all the way up (Red), and blast the fan.

Hitting the mode selector just picks where you want the air to go and will turn off AUTO whenever you push it. This is because when you select where you want the air to go it overides where the computer thinks it should go. I'm not sure if there are humidity sensors as well as temp sensors on the car, but in AUTO mode it does a good job of knowing when your windows will be foggy. I think the system works pretty good, you just have to get past the fact that just because the A/C light is on when in AUTO mode that doesn't necessarily mean that the A/C compressor is engaged.

Hope that helps some. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back