SCOOP: Why our MSP's are not ready yet...

PERRY323

:
04 Titanium Mazda 3 GT GFX
Hi guys, i just hanged the phone with a "high rank" mazda contact of me, the guy in charge of all my region. I got the answer why our MSP are not ready and i know too that THEY DONT KNOW when well get them....

The reason is that there is missing parts in the turbo system : at least one of the parts is the hoses who make connection between the turbo and the intercooler... Callaway delayed the delivery of those for unknown reason.... He said that they tried to another type of hose to replace it to deliver them sooner and they decided to old shipment, because it was not safe enough. Especially in cold northern climate like canada .... He said that the issu was not as big in california and hotter hot place... there was less problems.

No good news at all so..... Parts can be there anyday, they dont know... they were willing to ship august at first....
On another subject, he asked me what i was willling to do with this car, (drive it winter and bad temperature or not? ) of course because i dont have any winter beater ...

He drove the car for a month and he warned me about the handling of the car on snow/ice/rain....
Told me that the car is very hard to steer on those condition because of the differential "locking" in turns with wheels spining... making you go "straight". Told me to put EXCELLENT winter tire on this one and not to be surprised if its undriveable....
Those impressions were taken after a few drive on water (but he also said that the fact that the tires were beaten 5k km was not helping...)

Damn.... anyway, who cares... its an old guy maybe he dont know the use of the "parking brake" ;-)

Any input on this one guys?

A+

Perry, qubec CANADA

I think your guy is out of the loop. According to Mazda in BC and the guys at Toyota yes Toyota, who own the port and are doing all the installs they have all the parts and are just trying to finish up the cars they have left. Mazda doesn't want to send any of them out until they are all done. So if they are missing as one screw they will hold up delivery until they find it.

what are you going to do if it doesn't handle so greatly in the snow, take it back and say you want another because this one sucks??? i doubt it but would love to see you try. its front wheel drive. it'll be fine

PERRY323 said:
Hi guys, i just hanged the phone with a "high rank" mazda contact of me, the guy in charge of all my region. I got the answer why our MSP are not ready and i know too that THEY DONT KNOW when well get them....

The reason is that there is missing parts in the turbo system : at least one of the parts is the hoses who make connection between the turbo and the intercooler... Callaway delayed the delivery of those for unknown reason.... He said that they tried to another type of hose to replace it to deliver them sooner and they decided to old shipment, because it was not safe enough. Especially in cold northern climate like canada .... He said that the issu was not as big in california and hotter hot place... there was less problems.

No good news at all so..... Parts can be there anyday, they dont know... they were willing to ship august at first....
On another subject, he asked me what i was willling to do with this car, (drive it winter and bad temperature or not? ) of course because i dont have any winter beater ...

He drove the car for a month and he warned me about the handling of the car on snow/ice/rain....
Told me that the car is very hard to steer on those condition because of the differential "locking" in turns with wheels spining... making you go "straight". Told me to put EXCELLENT winter tire on this one and not to be surprised if its undriveable....
Those impressions were taken after a few drive on water (but he also said that the fact that the tires were beaten 5k km was not helping...)

Damn.... anyway, who cares... its an old guy maybe he dont know the use of the "parking brake" ;-)

Any input on this one guys?

A+

Perry, qubec CANADA

this is exactly what i've heard from my corporate source. they have no clue if it'll be today,tomorrow,next month, next year. they are definately keeping it hush hush with this situation. not even my fathers friend of 30+ yrs of being a mazda tech now working corporate knows.

well about the drivablity of the MSP in the snow, the MP3 sucks so bad in the snow why would you think the MSP is any diffrent. when it snows my cars sits. i drove it only once in the snow to find out is sucks. BUT F it. it only snows like 20 days out of the year in NJ so i don't care.

I live in NJ and with winter tires, my mp3 was fine in the snow (knock on wood).

That really sucks if the LSD on the MSP "locks" around turns...is this normal?

Yes, it's not the MP3 that sux in the snow, just the Z-rated Dunlops...they are definitely not intended for the snow, so yeah I'd say you are doing exactly the right thing saided18(doesn't really make sense to buy winter tires for the few times it seems to be snowing there).

Ok, for you thats not a big problem since you dont really have snow, but here in canada we get 4-5months with snow/ice so the issue is really important... of course i will put really good winter tire on it (NOKIAN HAKA Q) , i hope it will not be too hard to drive...

i'm thinking some rims off a normal protege or mp5 with some blizzaks. how's that sound for you guys? any idea what that might run as far as cost wise?

PERRY323 said:
Told me that the car is very hard to steer on those condition because of the differential "locking" in turns with wheels spining... making you go "straight".

That just sent shudders up my back. This reminds me of a symptom that I think I heard a long time ago. The jist was for the old GMers with "posi-traction" (that had fully locked differentials) would slide straight in the snow when turning. You would also have sqealing tires on sharp turns. If it's that high a ratio, there is a hazard of snapping the differential on a very fast, very sharp turn (burning doughnuts). At least, that was the case with the old GMers. You can have different rates of locking (e.g. Porsches have/had options of 25% up to 80% or so).

Does anyone else know anything about this or about the rate for the MSP's LSD?

I don't think you got anything to worry about in the snow. If these guys had the stock z rated tires on.....and duh...they must of had them on, then he just got the same scare everyone has gotten with the MP3 and the Z rated rubber. It's probably got very little to do with the lsd. With my Dunlops, same thing happens, turn wheels in snow...nothing happens, just end up going straight.

We have REAL snow up here. I'm already shoveling the driveway twice a day...damn snow plows, but with 4 studded tires on, the car is fine in snow. Front wheel drive, good torque, I haven't got stuck yet. Get the right road, and she's actually quite a lot of fun as she still handles better then most cars, even with winter studs and on snow.

Don't worry about it, this guy probably drives a mini van evryday.

Last edited:
Cool newf! youre in canada too ,so like me you know what youre talking about when youre talking about snow. With good Nokian HAKA Q i suppose it will be driveable, but i hesitate between the HAKA Q and the HAKA 2 with studs,
40$ difference between both, i dont think ill take the HAKA 2...

Back