Turbo Kits

Why are all of the kits so expensive? The kit I found is alot cheaper and you get alot more with it I was leaning more twards a turbo kit than a supercharger for many reasons the main one being a supercharger is an expensive fix if it breaks. wont I be able to pull more power from a turbo than a super chager.I have also been told that turbos would be more benificial to a small engine like the miatas and there is more room for upgrades.

the new flyin' miata Ubercharger kit looks prettty awesome. seen it on an M2 and was highly impressed

LoBo said:
Why are all of the kits so expensive? The kit I found is alot cheaper and you get alot more with it I was leaning more twards a turbo kit than a supercharger for many reasons the main one being a supercharger is an expensive fix if it breaks. wont I be able to pull more power from a turbo than a super chager.I have also been told that turbos would be more benificial to a small engine like the miatas and there is more room for upgrades.
First thing I note in the kit list that you linked in your first post: "Generic Install Instructions".

This is not a thing that instills confidence.

First thing, register on the Miata Forum at www.miataforum.com and spend some time in the Power Mods section. Ask questions. Alternatively, subscribe to the Miata Power mailing list, where people like Bill Cardell of Flyin' Miata, Corky Bell of Bell Engineering (on occasion), Ray Ayala (Miata ECU software programmer), and a host of people who've been turbocharged and supercharged hang out. Simply the best online source of knowledge.

Secondly, ask yourself what the tech support is like with the product you're about to spend your money on is like. If it's not good or totally non-existant (GReddy for example), why go that route.

Thirdly, without published dyno data, that can be substantiated (unlike JR's) you can be lead down the garden path. Again, is this somewhere where you want to go?

Spend some time composing an e-mail to Flyin' Miata and ask them for a comparison to the kit you found. You'll get an honest answer...you can take that to the bank.

1: Flyin' Miata makes great products. but way too many people sack ride these guys (for lack of a better term) and thier pricing is way high even compared to thier own prices just a year ago. Yes they have good tech support, but thier is enough information out there for any turbo kit you decide to buy. but like i said, they make good quality stuff, they just aren't my first choice.

2:The old sating "superchargers will give me more low end torque" is B.S. in the miata world. with the right turbo set-up (T28) you will be making more torque by 2500 than a supercharger.

3:Miata.net, There are some very knowledgable people there, yes. but you will get much more use out of the miatapowerlist than anywhere else. mostly an ok resource if you need quick answers.

just my $.02

i've been out to the flyin miata shop in grand junction. real cool place, real cool people and plenty of madly modified miatas. i do agree thier pricing is a bit steep.

Before you buy! Ride in both turbo and supercharged if you can...Also what are your goals hp? I won't tell you what to buy, both have there place.....I have a 93 1.6 with a Jr Supercharger 8psi and no plans to go any higher....and love it!!!!!!

saltydog said:
Before you buy! Ride in both turbo and supercharged if you can...Also what are your goals hp? I won't tell you what to buy, both have there place.....I have a 93 1.6 with a Jr Supercharger 8psi and no plans to go any higher....and love it!!!!!!

I have no Idea what my plans are for Hp What are some of you guy's cars at with turbod and supercharged motors and what is their 1/4 times if you know it? I would like to see my car run in the 13's at least and I would like to have it handle like a dream as well.

Back