Breaking Story?!?! The future of the Protege engine...

Captain KRM P5

Contributor
:
2002 BJFW, 2007 BK3P, 1979 SA22C, 2005 BK3P
Page 39 of Motor Trend, complete with photo inset;

SVT is said to be preparing a hotter Focus for the 2004 model year. In place of the current car's 170 hp Ford four is a turbocharged Mazda four banger, capable of 225 hp. That's enough to take on the 215 hp turbo Dodge SRT-4 as well as the Subaru WRX. Mazda power hints at the upcoming, all new 2005 Focus, which will have substantially different sheetmetal from its Euro sibling. That Focus will get a 2.0 liter Mazda powerplant to replace the 2.0 split-port induction Ford engine. A 2.3 liter Mazda four will replace the 2.0 liter ZETEC. Both engines will find thier ways into the next generation Protege and Focus based Volvo S40.

Well, to some extent we knew of the future sharing of platforms, but this is a little over the top!! A 225 hp Mazda four sounds like the one from the all new Mazda6, and would give family member MazdaSpeed Protege some in house competition! If there is an 04 MSP, what are the odds that the 2.3 225 hp turbo charged engine will find its way into its orange bonnet :)? And what of people that buy an MSP now? Does this mean they'll get shafted by the blue oval's pulling of puppet strings when a faster Focus and Protege come out?

sounds cool, maybe the new 2.3 will fit in our present protege's?

i know its a new platform, but maybe if they are going to use the current 2.0 on the new platform as well at the 2.3 then maybe the engine compartment dimensions will be similar.

i dunno, i dont know much about engine swapping or what the new platform will be like.

The Mazda 6 is a NA 3.0 V6. It is supposedly based on the 3.0 Ford Motor. Same block different everything else. That same block is in the Mazda SUV now.

-Jeremy-

Since all these cars they are talking about using the engine for are turbo whats the chance that 2.3L is just the 2.2L FE3 bored out a little?

The Mazda 6 on our side of the continent has either a 3.0 litre 6 (based off of the Ford Duratec block, with Mazda engineered internals) or a new completely Mazda built 2.3 litre four.

The 6 cylinder makes 220 hp, 192 lb ft trq, the four makes 160 and 155 respectively. However, in the recently shown MPS 6, the 2.3 litre four was turbocharged to 280 hp, so that 2.3 litre shows some incredible potential.

It is also worth noting that every car magazine that has tested the 6 has preferred the 4 cylinder due to better overall balance (ie less weight in the nose).

I have moved my MSP deposit to a Mazda 6, have not yet decided which engine I want.

Bryan

1st MP3 in NH said:
Since all these cars they are talking about using the engine for are turbo whats the chance that 2.3L is just the 2.2L FE3 bored out a little?
Atenza is equipped with newly developed MZR engine

With the newly developed MZR engine*, used in the Atenza, Mazda Motor Corporation has commenced production at the company's new engine plant (Minami-ku, Hiroshima City). The newly developed engines are all aluminum, in-line 4-cylinder gasoline engines, with 1.8-liter, 2.0-liter, and 2.3-liter engine displacements.

A ceremony was held at the plant to celebrate the start of production of the new engine. In his speech, Mazda Representative Director and Executive Vice President Hisakazu Imaki commented, "This newly developed MZR engine was developed with Mazda taking the lead role, being designated as the 'Center of Excellence' in the Ford Group for its highly recognized engineering. This plant that will produce the new engines, by incorporating various ideas of everyone, has realized high quality and high efficiency, and is now the factory attracting the most attention in the Ford group. I would like you to all take pride in this plant, and let's make the next-generation products that these engines will be used in a success."
The new I4 engines realize superb performance due to improved torque and increased output, have excellent fuel economy and clean emissions, and perform quietly with little vibration. The engines will be used in the Atenza and other following next generation products.

A trial run of the new engine production was held starting from last October. This plant has introduced the "Cosworth casting process," which is also used for the peak performance F1 auto-racing engine. This casting process technology has been provided by Ford and Cosworth from England, and then matured and innovated by Mazda-specific technology. Through this, the mass production of quality, lightweight, and compact engines has been attained, and an epoch-making production process, producing at a lower cost than cast iron engines, realized.

The new engines, in addition to being used in future Mazda products, will also be used by the Ford Group in approximately 2 million units, of which Mazda will produce around 425,000 units, expected to be produced within the next several years. The production base in the Ford Group consists of a total of four plants: the Mazda plant here in Japan, and Ford plants in the U.S., Mexico, and Spain. Production at the United States and the Mexico plants began from the second half of 2000. Mazda has positioned this engine as the cutting edge, global core engine in the Ford Group, and will continue to foster this technology.

* Large-size I4 engine (1.8L, 2.0L, 2.3L) developed at Mazda as a Ford Global "Center of Excellence". In addition to the large-size I4, the MZR engine family includes the small-size I4 engine (1.3L, 1.5L) and a diesel engine, which were newly developed completely at Mazda.

Back