WRX -vs- Mazdaspeed

Justice

ok My Si got stolen two weeks ago and I am repalcing it in two weeks which puts me into the exact time the Mazdaspeed will be comming out. I am considering the WRX or the mazdaspeed. At first i was only considering the gti, then I drove the WRX.. OMFG the handeling. The main consern I have for the MS is the 6.5psi stock level :wtf:. From what I have read the protege's 2.0 can only take 6psi maybe as much as 8psi. This bothers me that I will have to upgrade my internals to up the boost to the GT25's true potential(500hp capable). Not to meantion that it will void my warranty. I can get the WRX for less than 3k more and spend 1k on a 300hp warrantied mod(4'dp,3'catback,2.5rear section, chip...no engine work at all! :eek: ). Not to meantion that it is AWD. The MS has alot going for it but I am worried about the tunability of this car. When I stumbled upon this badass i was like holly s***.. New, clean as all hell, racing hart stockies? 450watts,.... ok ok so I'll add a boost controller and up it to the typical 20psi and larger dp... so I should be at say 350+hp.. but no. 6psi is the max without major work when a stock trubo car has beaffy internals this one does not.. what else did they skip out on? will this car develop denotaion problems. . . etc. because I can handle upping the rods, springs and retainers, but what else will need modding?:mad:

yes but you have to understand that there is a diffrence with the WRX. it is a low compression engine so you need to run more boost to reach the same power as the protege. 15lbs of a boost in a WRX is the same as 6-8 lbs in the proetge. also you are right. the engine in the protege can't handle to much HP and that sux. but what would you rather have? a me too car (WRX) or a MS protege that every one just looks at you and is like WTF is that. that a hot car.

That is the reason i got my Mp3. b/c no one has it. it's been a year and i got place to like Bugger king drive threw and i hear the people wispering "OMG is that the MP3. wow that a hot car."

what i hate is when i went to a car meet and there was 5 WRX all in blue and there was only one MP3 with a TV and PS2 in it. what car do you think every one was crowded around.

times up you guessed it. Mine. And it was so funny b/c some people had never seen a MP3 before that day and it was like i de-virginised them. lol

so i guess it's you taste. a me too car or a car that unquie.

I know what you are saying there are 10k wrx's in the states for 2003 and only 1750 ms's but a lower compression engine helps with denotaion, an awd drivetrain helps with handling and the modability of both are great. However, the WRX at 400hp will totaly out class the 400hp MS(you can't deny that think about the twities). The reason why I am looking at the MS is the low numbers and the me too effect. I loved my Si becuase there were not that many until late 00 when they realased a whole s*** load. That's why I want the silver WRX and a Black MS because of the me too effect. I like the looks of both and I will get one I am just torn by the MS until I drive it I think. I will probably keep researching the two and make my choice when it hits the floor. One thing to consider is the stealability factor of both. How often are protege's stolen? The dealer I am going through has the lowjack avalible for the mazdaspeed. it's only $600. this helps sway me toward the MS. but I can always take my WRX to them. The MS will be a bigger target ex: rims, stereo, parts... the WRX will kinda fade into the scene and will remain untouched most of the time. As soon as someone sees the MS they will think $1000 for the rims, 500 for the deck and speakers, 5-3k for the engine, plus the fenders, hood....; why not tow it away to the chop shop? while the WRX will be looked into and nothing will be visible so the will not bother taking it.
I need a garage.

I would wait for the 2004 WRX. It's going to rock.

STi03.jpg

STi03_Cockpit.jpg

yes of course the STi in 2004. Did you realize that my car was stolen? And, I need a car now; actually in two weeks. That means no sti. That is another downside to the WRX, but the WRX is not really that different. The motor is basically the same and only has smaller piping differnt injectors and a differnt computer. All of which will be replaced any way.

yes but yet again every one and there mother will have one. don't get me wrong. the WRX is a aswome drive machine b ut to many people have it so it becomes just another car. that what made me get the MP3. that and it cost 5k less

This is the only reason I am considering the MS. the few of them will keep the value of them up, and the demand high. I know a following will be had for the entire mazda line. this will help with mods, and interest from sponsors, clubs, and .... The fact that there will be less than 15% of the amount of WRX's on the street will be good for me, and make me like my car more.

no, he's not talking about the STi. just the regular WRX...the facelift is for '04. i say get the WRX, although they both rock and you'll be happy w/ both.

keep in mind that depending on your dealer, any mod you make to a WRX might void the warranty. many people are not returning to subaru b/c of the difficulty getting them to honor their warranty. and either way you get a crappy transmission. ;)

you could also just get a beater for a little while and give yourself more time to look rather than being rushed into a very expensive decision.

good luck!

also, a word of advice. don't buy a car based on "there aren't many of them" or "they're so popular". buy the one you like the best, the one YOU are happiest with. that's all that counts, b/c you're the one writing a check every month.

Last edited:
dmitrik4 said:
...also, a word of advice. don't buy a car based on "there aren't many of them" or "they're so popular". buy the one you like the best, the one YOU are happiest with. that's all that counts, b/c you're the one writing a check every month.

Absolutely agree. If that is your main criteria, buy a Honda/Acura for the best resale value.

also, a word of advice. don't buy a car based on "there aren't many of them" or "they're so popular". buy the one you like the best, the one YOU are happiest with. that's all that counts, b/c you're the one writing a check every month.

Yes!

Did you realize that my car was stolen? And, I need a car now; actually in two weeks.

I understand this - I should have been more specific. Personally, I would be less interested in a car that is evolving in 8 months.

Gene

i did the wrx to MSP comparison. still do on a daily basis :)
I live in Connecticut, so the AWD is a huuuuuge plus for the WRX. but still, im going with the MSP. i love having a unique car. im excited as all hell that it is coming in orange, i love orange, i love the styling and didnt have money when the mp3 came out. i love how unique it is. If i got a wrx i would have to drop it and put wheels and a kit on it before i liked it enough to have spent 23k on it. and by then its up past 25k....

i think the budget for the import tuning community has gone up considerably in the past few years, just my opinion. And i think that the same crowd that bought hondas for their 'tunability' is present day going for the wrx. I see that as a bad thing because theres not only a ton of WRXs out there then but also a ton of MODDED wrxs out there. Im not all about speed. I know that virtually no matter what i do to my car and no matter how much money i put into it and how much time i spend on it, some day, im gonna roll up at a light and be smoked by someone, be it american muscle, or a supra or some s***.....so I chose to go for show more than go. the MSP comes with 170hp, hopefully mazdaspeed warrantied mods will jack that up around 200, and even at 170 hp, i know it is gonna be a BLAST to drive, which is my main goal here. I can have a unique car that looks awesome, and is so much fun to drive, or a more expensive car which although it will be fast and be able to beat a lot of cars off the line, will still be able to be beaten by just as many.....

i dont know if any of this makes any sense. this is and has been my school of thought. if oyu want a fast car, dont get a MSP, you can make it fast, but why not start with 227 instead of 170 if 300 is your goal?

with the next gen WRX aorund the conner I think I will go for the MS. Since it is here now and I will be more than happy with it. I think it will remind me alot of my Si which reminded me alot of my first car, ( a '86 porsche 944). I like the handeling attributed to the Japanese market cars. and the tunability will come later. I think that once the internals are upgraded in the MS you will litterly be able to push the car well past 300 hp with the stock turbo which is typically the most expensive upgrade next to an intercooler. The LSD that this car is comming with will help put the power to the ground. I can see where this is needed. My Si had 160hp in a front wheel drive and it desperatly needed LSD(not lysergic-acid-dyathilimite but limited slip differental). I also like the styling of both but the money saved in the front and when I go to sell it in 3years will make up for it (although I probably won't sell either one). Having something new and unique will defiantly be a plus. That lowjack install defiately takes the horrible thought of what if it happens again away. I also like the standard upgrades that come with this model. So in short I think I am going to go for the MS. for these reasons over the WRX

MS over the WRX
Price monthly should be 410-430 vs 470-480
Tunability aftermarket factory warrantied accesories
Potential power
Styling
Standard options
450watts of mp3/ cyris ready kenwood power
17'' racing harts
supention
LSD
and more...
Limited production (higher resale...higher value of investment)
Low insurance rates.. 4door sedan... good crash ratings...lowjack
your jealous rage of Me getting the one you wanted a year ago :)
plus the MS will be lighter and will be faster than a AWD in the 1/4

what does the WRX have over the ms
Stock power...170-vs-227
AWD-vs-FWD(w/lsd)
Ease of more power.. simple bolt ons and your at 300hp..
*less costly mods than 300hp in a MS

WRX Down falls
10k of them on the streets=less resale
Tranny problems after 300hp
4k more
suck ass radio
higher insurance rates....
( more stolen more accidents because of more cars.)
Every time I have been to the subaru dealership they are assholes. even when I am trying to buy a 25k car, and I have the means to do so.

I think that's it

(((((((((((((((((I assumed the price for insurance would be cheaper on the MS but it is actually alot higher.. infact it is $90/mo higher than the WRX.)))))))))))))))

Last edited:
slug is right.

also, keep in mind that unless you are a street racer :notcool: you aren't going to use that 300 hp very often. it's frustrating (IMO) to drive a fast car at the speed limit. so there's an argument for the MSP...you'll be able to use more of its potential more often = more fun?

Justice said:
your jealous rage of Me getting the one you wanted a year ago :)

was that directed towards me? i put a deposit down in july on my MSP.....:)

at any rate, excellent choice! from the sound of another post it looks like the MSPs have already arrived in TX.......NOW you can see my jealous rage :)

This has been a very interesting thread to read. I went through the same issues in August debating between wrx and P5. I saved the money and I needed a car. My old GMC Jimmy was showing is 12 year age. I got what I consider a good deal on the 2002.5 P5 with rebate. I wanted a wrx. I just couldn't see paying the extra money now. It really is a lot extra too. Almost 50% more! After I saw the pics of the 2004 Sti styling (no more neon look!) I knew the P5 was the right move now. By mid 2004 I hope to be able to decide between the Sti and the Evo VII. Hopefully I will be able to give the P5 to my current girlfriend and keep the best of both worlds!

WHY WHY WHY... I had it all figured out and now this.. the Mazdaspeed is too much on insurance (nuts) . in fact it is $80 more a month than my current Si policy when the WRX is $10 less a month. This makes the WRX less money a month now I am :confused: . I had made up my mind to get the MS because of the price mainly and a few extras. But now the MS is 20 more a month so all of that comparrison GONE :( what to do. what to do.

If you don't mind me asking how did you get that quote?
I've wanted to know what my insurance is going to be for a long time now & I haven't had any good luck........Thanks

$80 more!!! I got a quote from Progressive & Geiko (who quoted through progressive) and it is only going to cost me $95/ month total. I am 28 M and have never had any accidents, all my speeding tickets are off now.

I don't think most companies know what the mazdaspeed exists yet, so don't have it in their rating systems as any special rates. We will probably get a bargin the first year, and then they will hike it next year.

I was honest when getting my quotes, but they didn't know what the mazdaspeed was, so they just listed it as a regular protege, as the "ES" model I think it is?

I would shop around some more if I was you. Unless you are really young with a bunch of claims and/or convictions, you should be able to get a 12 month policy for $1200 to $1400 per year.

You save quite a bit usually when you get a 12 month policy Vs. a 6 month. Also save a bunch if you don't finance it through them just pay it all up front if you can afford it. you can usually take $150 or more off by doing those two things.

I forget the exact numbers but with progressive they wanted like $800 up front and were going to charge me like another $100 extra to finance the remaining $350! screw that, I will just bite the bullet at the start and save some money overall.

ya, how did you get that quote?

everything i have heard points to the WRX being higher insurance. It has more HP and costs more......

Back