How to disable the TPMS

PlasticBiker

:
Mazda 3 - Black
Anyone have any idea how to either unhook, turn off or remove the TPMS on my 3? My winter wheels don't have the monitors on them, and the little blinking idiot light is really f'n annoying.

Thanks,
-Jim

PlasticBiker said:
Anyone have any idea how to either unhook, turn off or remove the TPMS on my 3? My winter wheels don't have the monitors on them, and the little blinking idiot light is really f'n annoying.

Thanks,
-Jim

Man, that light is annoying. It's been getting cold here in Omaha & it seems like every time I get in my car that damn light goes on. I check the tire pressure, so I know it's fine. I guess the monitor is just really sensitive to that sort of thing.

PlasticBiker said:

Thanks,
-Jim

go to the dealer and tell them to do it.

Mazda3Zoomer said:
go to the dealer and tell them to do it.

Dealer told me it couldn't be done, which I know is a crock. They want me to spend $500 on pressure monitors. I'd just assume remove the whole system.

It's been off and on cold here and it hasn't gone off for me. Actually it did go off one time, but that's how I found out I had a nail in my tire... DAMN 1300 miles and a freaking nail! :(

ssinstaller said:
Did you try just unplugging the control module.
Chris

I would if I knew where it was, have yet to actually hunt for it though, more than looking in the manual.

The RX8 boys have been having the same problem since August 2003.

No way to disable the module without taking things totally apart.
If it was as easy as unplugging something, they would have done that over a year ago.

Not all aftermarket rims have the clearance for the factory TPMS sensors.

Clipping the wire to the light is one solution.
A piece of black electrical tape on your dash is another.

My TPMS has been going off now that the temps have taken a dive. Stopped by my dealer and discussed this with the techs and service manager, the conclusion is that this is all tied into the computer with no dedicated fuse. We're not sure if pulling the bulb or clipping the wire would send the computer into a frenzy or not. Their suggestion was to use the black tape cure-all as the safest way to end the annoyance.

On rx8club.com this has been discussed widely. You can go through the computer and disable the tpms but cannot make the light go away. To do so, they flash the car and leave the tpms coding out of the flash. The computer then does not have the capability of monitoring tire pressure but it still knows that it has tpms capabilities, thus keeping the light on.

Back