Mazda 6s MTX CP-E Review

crossbow

:
Mazda 6s
CP-E FAQ
http://forum.mazda6tech.com/about1009.html
CP-E's Website
http://www.cp-e.com

Last sunday (more then a week ago) I dropped off some manuals to CP-E for the shift kit they're working on for the Jatco. While I was visiting their awesome shop, they gave me their intake and let me use the shops facilities to install it. (Very nice of them). Josh even checked over my wire installation while I did some cleanup on their laptop machines (my trade is computers, not cars). Here are my comments on the system now that I've had it for a week.

Installation Pipe:
The intake section installs just like any other cold air intake. The primary differences are the heat shield (the other intakes don't have one) that serves to hold the intake in place, and mounts to the area over the wheel well. CP-E has you slit a vacuum hose to wrap around the opening to help prevent the pipe from rubbing. I'd recommend you either glue this vacuum hose, or use some electrical tape to bind it to the heatshield. (Some people have reported it can come loose if you just leave it on the heatshield without some sort of attachment device). The heatshield is quite cool as it has allocation for both VAD solinoid mounting, and some tiewraps for preventing the ABS harness from rubbing against the pipe.

The piping is very sleek, and bends much less then other 6s CAI's. The install actually has you push back the battery some so the piping is completely clear of the battery. Its got about one less bend then the injen intake, which makes for a very clean looking pipe. The way the hoses are routed as well help to clean up the install. I felt the vacuum line was a bit loose so I just flipped the check valve around instead and left the hose unattached. Individual results may vary. (I'm sure it would stay on the nipple, I'm just paranoid and pessimistic, as everyone knows)

gregcpe.jpg

Make sure you follow the instructions carefully for the PCV hose, as any kinks in the hose will cause some interesting issues.

The filter for the CP-E unit is rather small, but keeps the primary intake rather high in the wheel well. I replaced the stock filter with a 7 inch powerstack S&B filter, which drops the inlet down to the insert opening. Because of that I had to put the original insert back on, as the filter was getting excessively soaked from incoming water. If you want to replace the filter, I'd probably go with a 5 or 6 inch S&B powerstack instead.

Installation Mafci:
CP-E's instructions for this section are VERY good. It is pretty nerve racking to pull your pcm harness apart and splice wires though :). I just took my time (an hour easy) to slowly seperate all the necessary wires and splice them as instructed. Its quite hard to seperate some of them, which is why the excessive amount of time required. Take your time, and take breaks, and verify verify verify. Make sure you have a good set of pliers to ENSURE that the splices snap down properly. Josh was nice enough to finish up this install for me, and mount the Mafci under the dash for me (while I worked on their computer system).

Initial Remarks:
The induction sound of this thing is incredible. Its hard to describe. Its just "holy !#@$! what was that?" sound that comes outta the engine when you tap the throttle and let go. Its basically the sound of air screaming in horror as it gets sucked into the intake manifold. Very deep sounding.

Before anything else, the sound on this thing is incredible. It sounds far better then any exhaust I've ever heard for the 6. Its deep, its loud, and it screams power. Anyone considering shelling out more then 400 dollars on an exhaust, should consider the CP-E instead. The sound is THAT good. Completely changes the audio dynamics of the car...makes it more of a lion instead of a small upset buffalo.

Click Me for CP-E Sound (Thanks 6-s-5door)

Inital Driving Impressions:
Is this my car? I'm sitting here in 2nd gear trying to accelerate and laying down a strip of rubber. Go one wheel drive!!! I left the CP-E bay, warmed up the car a bit, turned the corner and slammed on the gas, and had wheel spin up the wazzo, followed by torque steer, followed by the intake hitting 5000 rpm, followed by a surge of acceleration, followed by visions of moose suddenly in my headights, followed by lifting the throttle, almost spinning out, and then regaining control of my sphincter.

Low end throttle response is fantastic. Its almost instant. Power from 3k+ is much stronger then stock...at around 4500-5000k the kick from VVT is very apparent, and heavily exaggerated from a stock car...so much so that if you let off the gas in the MTX, the engine actually "JERKS" from the sudden drop in torque.

This is more then just a power upgrade...its a "look at all the s*** I have to buy now to properly use this thing" upgrade. I don't see how you could drive on stock tires with this thing...cause I'm running T1-S's and I've still got wheel spin issues under heavy acceleration. (Of course the fact that its below 50F around here doesn't help any).

I'd consider that if your thinking of the CP-E, to consider it along side a wheel/tire upgrade, and possibly a wishbone mount bushing upgrade as well (to lessen the effect of the engine torquing on the overall dynamics of the vehicle).

Click for Blackmagik's Video (Thanks blackmagik_13)

Final Notes:
CP-E places a warning on the package that the car's dynamics will change with this intake's installation, and to please take time to relearn the vehicle before attemping previous manuvers with your stock car. They aren't kidding. You'll need to adjust shifting points, switch to M mode in an ATX, and be very wary about lifting the throttle in a hard turn.

This is quite possibly the best mod I've experienced for the 6 thus far, baring the addition of lightweight wheels and performance tires. I'd rate the CP-E as one of top 3 mods. (Wheels/Tires, Shocks/springs/coilovers, CP-E).

With the considerable support offered from CP-E on their intake packages, I don't see any reason to hesitate buying this product. Anyone whose had any problems have had them solved by CP-E, and/or if you aren't 100% satisified with the product they'll even work with you to either fix your satisfaction level, or refund your purchase. You really can't ask for much more out of a company.

Secondary Benefits:
Though I've only done a single tank of gas since I installed it (so take this information with a VERY tiny grain of salt), it appears that my mileage has improved about 2-3 mpg. This I find surprising since I've been "enjoying" the intake whenever I've got an obviously clear straight road ahead of me. Grain of salt though...I'll post further impressions on mileage after a month or two when I have enough data to warrant further discussion. Till then, once again, take this information (Mileage benefits) with a grain of salt, as your results may vary.

@ Crossbow:

I have read your reviews of the Cp-e intake and it sounds great (are you a salesman?) but I'm having a hard time justifying the large incease in price $520 vs. $230) from the competitiors with just a heat shield and chip being the difference. ( I believe that injen has a new O2 sensor that corrects the check engine light problem, correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks for a response

1) Injen has nothing to fix the CEL's.

2) This intake/chip combo produces far more power then any other combination available for the 6.

Ask the protege guys if they would pay 500 dollars for +20 whp and +20 ft/lbs of torque, especially when the torque graph looks like this.

cpe6stq.jpg

You'd be hard pressed to find ANY mod that effects a car this much other then boost controllers for FI cars. (For 500 USD).

There is something like 30-40 owners of this intake now, I'm sure more will chime in. I used to write hardware reviews, I'm not a salesman, just a guy trying to help the communities.

Last edited:
Mad Puppy said:
@ Crossbow:

I have read your reviews of the Cp-e intake and it sounds great (are you a salesman?) but I'm having a hard time justifying the large incease in price $520 vs. $230) from the competitiors with just a heat shield and chip being the difference. ( I believe that injen has a new O2 sensor that corrects the check engine light problem, correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks for a response
that chip for injen you talk of exists....CP-e makes that chip for injen and injen only :)

Haha I Feel Like A Salesman Too Sometimes But All I Am Trying To Do Is Tell People How Happy I Am With The Intake, Seriously I Don't Know How Much More I Can Say But Yeah Its The Best Thing Ever Get It And You Will Love It Way Worth 500 Dollars, For What You Get It's Not Just An Intake People Have To Remember That!!!

Back