Official Canadian Pricing

Just got off the horn with Mazda Canada with the latest "official Canadian news".
1. Price MSRP $26,995CAD - YEE HAW, $5 less than reported in the papers!
2. No release date for the actual cars, even though MIMSP is reporting Fri in the US. The story may change tomorrow. :mad: :(

No explanation for the potential delay (remember they said October release, and still have 1 day)!

3. They are now officialy saying that there will also be a spring release, but unconfirmed colours (did mumbled that black could be in there!)
4. No free jacket (at least not told to Cust Serv)
5. 6.9% financing deal :rolleyes:
6. No new Canadian brochure.
7. No free winter tires or wax job.
:'( :'(

Well, my cousin is finally getting his delayed new model Honda ST1300 Friday, so maybe there is some force of nature that will pull ours through at the same time.

Well that price is a dissapointment....was supposed to be 25 ish....since the mp3 was 23,700...two grand for the turbo was resonable....oh well...

I have a orange one on the way deposit on and 1st on the list, whether I take it at that price is another story with taxes, pdi etc you are at 33 K...a bit steep.

Now the other colours...if they confirm a yellow like the p5 and not the miata then that would be hot

well, the mp3 was 23,500, but by the time it made it to nfld.....furthest east spot of canada, it was 25600 due to "other charges". So, if the MSP is indeed somwhere in the 28-29 mark for me.....I'll pass, and get something else. But, 26995 sounds good for what you get...damn good.

laterz

$6000 in taxes, etc? I realize it's CAD, but that's still close to $4000USD. Doesn't that seem excessive?

Better chance of getting the metallic yellow (like the SE Miata) than the vivid yellow of the MP3/P5.

whew thank goodness i live in alberta. :D

26,995 car
980? freight
100 a/c tax
20 tire tax
100 metallic paint? <-- not sure if this one's included

28,195 subtotal
1,974 GST (no pst WOOT)
-650 grad rebate (made rebate taxable just in case)

~29,519 total

600 winter tires
300 rockguard

900 subtotal
63 GST
963 total
---------------------------------------------
$30482 total :D

JasonH said:
$6000 in taxes, etc? I realize it's CAD, but that's still close to $4000USD. Doesn't that seem excessive?

Unfortunately, we're hit with a federal tax (GST) in addition to our provincial (state) tax for a total of around 15% plus an air conditioning tax (in Ontario).

About the price, it does put it right with the SVT focus and GTI 1.8T (in Canada). However it's $3k less than the Type S, and only 2K more than the Spec V (which went up $500 for 2003). Around $3 K increase seems reasonable for all the upgrades they did to the MP3 (turbo, clutch, brakes, ABS, suspension, wheels/tire and the 1000 other items they say).

I never believed the sales guys when they said the MSP was going to be the same price or a thou more. In fact, I put $26K max as a condiditon of my offer to give me a way out if I needed it.

Yes taxes in Ontario will kill you

My calc for the 33

26995 for the car
1000 PDI and frieght, gas and normal dealer rips

27995 sub total
2239 for the pronvincial government
1959 for the feds
100 gaz guzzler
100 metalic paint
100 air tax

Total of 32494...close enough to spit on 33 grand.

I agree with newf...for what you get is decent but this is still a mazda and not a beamer...

Vivid yellow would be awesome....I even thought of importing a yellow MP3 to match the blue one...but the US$ made it not worth it.

So now I have just stored the MP3 for the winter and put my wife into her winter beater...now a shiney and expensive new car goes to the barn to rest from it loooooonnnggg journey fom japan.

Oliver2000, why would you pay a $100 gas guzzler tax on a u-lev car?? hmmm??

Sleeper, about that fact that you pay no pst, it's included in all your pricing any way so the province gets their money in the end

MMMatHeart said:
Just got off the horn with Mazda Canada with the latest "official Canadian news".
1. Price MSRP $26,995CAD - YEE HAW, $5 less than reported in the papers!
2. No release date for the actual cars, even though MIMSP is reporting Fri in the US. The story may change tomorrow. :mad: :(

No explanation for the potential delay (remember they said October release, and still have 1 day)!

3. They are now officialy saying that there will also be a spring release, but unconfirmed colours (did mumbled that black could be in there!)
4. No free jacket (at least not told to Cust Serv)
5. 6.9% financing deal :rolleyes:
6. No new Canadian brochure.
7. No free winter tires or wax job.
:'( :'(

hey...The price is reasonable with the added features. But 6.9% is a bit steep. I believe protege 5's are getting 2.9% and even 0.9% for 2002s.
I really wanted the 'Mazdaspeed' Jacket!...what the hell happen?

Another thing to look out for, the thread that 'RSX' posted a few days ago about the sighting of 2 MS-Ps, well if you look closely at those pictures, the MS-P that they had there DID NOT have the 'MAZDASPEED' Embroided carpeted floor mats!...Another No NO from Mazda Cananda!!!!

I hate those rip off charges...they might as expect tips for handing over the keys.:bs: :bs:

Last edited:
MSPCanada
actually, no we don't:
cost of living is relatively low in alberta. and our lack of pst is basically due to our oil industry =)
gas price is shown as 68.4 cents per litere but is actually 64.9cents/litre (b/c of safeway started the 3.5cent/litre discount). but since everyone offers the discount, the price is in effect artifically inflated. lol.

Sleeper, just so you don't laugh too hard, I was told that Winnipeg has a gas war going on. The "real" price after all the discounts is around $0.35/l. I cried when I heard.

yep, i've heard of a gas war in some places of alberta too, ~25 cents/litre
lol

however, how much does pst cost you a yr? (a)
and how much does gas cost per litre for you? (b)
and how much does gas cost per liter for me? (c)
if gas was actually 35 cents/litre and i was paying 65cents/litre
how much more would i be spending on gas a year? (d)

a > d
b >= c

in both ways your'e paying more, lol
plus, it doesn't irk me to pay how much i do for gas anyways.
the higher the gas prices are, the better for alberta (reduce our debt) in consider it a minimal tax for the province's benefit especially considering people in other provinces are generally paying the same price if not more than what albertans pay meaning the higher market price "tax" you guys pay also.

lol, i dont' think you can win this one.. ;)

I heard from my cuz in Lacombe that it got down to -20C last night. :eek:

I'm not going to slug this out (although it'd be fun) because I love Alberta, and have plans to move there eventually. All it needs is more secondary industry and a stop to the rise in housing costs. Yeah, I know that they're related.
(drinks)

I am in Ontario. Would I be able to buy car in Alberta without PST, drive it to Ontario, and change plates? I've got few days that I don't know how to spend :)

I realise I probably cannot do this due to availability of MazdaSpeed, but in the end, I may decide to get RSX :)

hey, i think it would be perfectly legal to get a car out of province. i believe a lot of people do that actually. (it's worth the savings and hassle imo). but ultimately the hassle would be the registration of the vehicle. in terms of availability, i don't think it will be a big problem. One dealer in edmonton is getting 2 msp's and one was STILL uncalled for earlier this month. As for rsx, come on, performance wise it's not on par with the msp! imo, i'd get the rsx only if the performance didn't matter as much (acceleration and handling factors), wanted leather, didn't mind the inferior stereo sys, liked the looks of the rsx, and wanted better resale value (which only matters if you intend to sell the car), BUT none of those are a factor for me. lol

you COULD get a p.o. box here then.

i know someone b/c of insurnace issues he get his insurance in saskatchewan by setting up a po box there lol

....and as soon as he puts in a claim he gets his coverage denied. I work for an insurance company, that is an extremely stupid thing to do.

As for buying a car in Alberta and not paying PST, well, it works until you go to register the car in your home province, at which point the Provincial Government WILL collect PST from you. Not worth it in the long run.

Bryan

Back