Canadian MSRP: It's official

Andyamo

I just received a call (and fax) from Guelph City Mazda (Guelph, Ont).

They faxed me a copy of a fax sent by David Klan, Marketing Director for Mazda Canada.

"We are pleased to announce that the 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege will be available this Fall for the MSRP of $26,995"

This is the CANADIAN MSRP. It seems as though (dollar for dollar), we get a slightly better deal than our friends to the south. 26,995 = $17,237 USD.

Hope this helps.

Andy
(wiggle)

gjmoreo said:
No way! are you serious? $17,237 in USD? Are you sure - that is less than the Mp3.........

Yeah but they pay about 15% taxes also. I think I read that this is one reason cars are cheaper in Canada.

Even with taxes - I thought this was going to be a $20,000 and + car? How much in good old American smackaroos will it be?
Thanks Guys....

sleeper_ said:
in my province, alberta, it's only 7% (the federal tax)
:D

I guess you are lucky spleeper_. That's what I pay also. In another thread someone was saying that they will pay nearly $33k Canadian = $21,150 based on the exchange rate above.

yep, it's their provincial tax of 8%. Alberta is a relatively "rich" province with oil resources that the gov't essentially uses to offset the lack of revenue from a provincial tax. hehe

It's typical that cars in Canada cost less when converted in US dolars, than cars in US.

Part of the reason are taxes, part is affordability. Salaries in Canada expressed in $Can are similiar to salaries in US expressed in $US. So 27K$CAN is not very affordable for such car to Canadians. On the road it's (27+1.3 freight,PDi,doc)*1.15 = 32.5K$

How would you guys in USA like to pay 32.5KUSA for Mazdaspeed on the road? That is pretty fair comparo looking at salaries and level of taxation.

yeah, that is what I thought.

so why is the price listed lower in the above posts?

Or are they just saying if I went to canada to but the car that is what it would cost me in USD.

Canadian always get cheaper MSRP price, even after taxes and everything. :eek: But their re-sale value is waaaaaaayyyyyy lower than USA... i think :D

Actually if you take vehicles purchased in canada and keep them for a year then sell them in the US you can make a lot of money. Especially with trucks. That is why many of dealers in Canada have division that does nothing but buy 1 year old vechicles for export. example, I buy a MS in Canada drive it for a year then go sell it in the US for say $17500 USD, that would give me $28000 CDN dollars based on current exchange rate. Considering that I only have to pay $26995 plus taxes in the frist place for the car, I could theoritaclly drive it for a year and not lose out to much.

so If I bought a MSP in canada and then drive it to the us - I would not be paying as much for itr compared to the US?

I think the border will charge you for this, since it's brand new car. But i'm not too sure ... One thing I still don't know is that can warranty cross country?

but how will they know enough to stop me? you can just go right over cant you - I think that is what I did when I went to see niagra falls......

Back