MHP CAI....anyone had problems??

MP3Ben

Did anyone have problems with theMHP CAI? I just installed mine today (got it through mail) and firstly, it was a total b**** to install. The clearaance for the tubing is so small that semi-awkward bends at the silicon reducers have to be made to force the thing to fit and not rub the battery.

Next, the filter actually rests flush up against the wheel well wall, deforming it a bit. Problem there...the deformation causes a bit of a hole in the wheel well, and rain water goes right in...since the filter rests up against the wheel well, the path of the water is right on the filter elements!

Third, and possibly the biggest problem: notice they have an extra silicon sleeve up near the end of the tube connecting the throttle body? That's used to soften the rubbing against the brake master cylinder. When the engine vibrates, ie. at startup, shifting, low revving, the tube will rub against the master cylinder. The sleeve is used to soften the blow, but though mine was installed correctly, the vibrations caused the sleeve to slip out of place. The tube actually wors a small chunk off the brake master cylinder assembly on a 20 km trip home! I adjusted the sleeve to fit between the tube and cylinder, but who knows when it will slip out of place again??

This may be the case if anyone has ever noticed that at low speed, low revs, ie, just shifting into first and getting moving, that the throttle pedal seems to vibrate or have some feedback. Ie. small vibrations, or even a couple of knocking noises along with feedback to the pedal.

Anyone have any of these problems? Notice anything? Any resolutions? I am thinking I might have to trim a little off the tube ends in order to see if I can adjust it so that the tube doesn't rub so much. I am thinking even if the rubbing doesn't seem serious now, a couple thousand rubs later things will start coming loose or breaking in the master cylinder...damn! :(

As for the deformed fender well problem, any ideas to get it so that the filter doesn't lean on the wheelwell panel (and also have a steady drip of water running onto it on a rainy day)? I've tried any amount of adjusting, but the tubing won't move anymore.

I can't believe I'm going to have to customize an already custom mod for my car!! :eek:

Moddin a mod...what hellish frustration...

Anyone with the MHP Carbon CAI? Please help!!

Oh yes, and one more thing; does anyone get the Check Engine light with the intake (any intake for that matter)...I had one, but disconnected the battery and everything's fine for now. However I hear that in some cars the light will come back on every couple of weeks, requiring a battery disconnection. True?

MP3Ben

I have the problems with the master cylinder. I am thinking about capping the end of the master cylinder with some kind of rubber or something. I was also having probs with the rubber tube staying on the metal where it goes into the fender, I finally just got some glue and glues it in and now it stays. That reduced alot of the grinding feeling. I got mine to not push out on the wheel well, I bent that metal bracket to make the pipe go in at mor of an angle. I am also thinking about gluing the little pad around the intake by the master cylinder in place to prevent it from rubbing. I would agree though I was geting pissed when installing it, I would suggest to anyone who is not very patient to start on a night and get it in place and then rest for a while and then try to work it into place, this also gives time for the glue to dry, which i would recommend.

Good luck and I will inform you of any other ideas.

Tim

Ben,
Other than instilation problems do you notice anmy kick in the car i mean was it worth the flippingg 300 bucks?

Well I see these problems as a possible deterrent from me getting the MHP. Supposedly the AEM goes in like a dream. Too bad I won't be buying it until next spring. :(

DooMer_MP3

huh? none of those problems, probably because they installed the stuff for me, and more than 4000 miles on it and no engine check light

Thanks for the replies everyone...

Razhael, maybe you're right about getting the install professionally done. They should know their product well, hehe. Especially considering the narrow clearances for the tube. Only thing is, I'm in Canada hehe...

Tim, thanks for the advice! I'm glad (in a weird way) that it wasn't just me. I am thinking of adjusting the tubing a little more to see if I can get rid of the fender well and master cylinder problems. If not, the glue might help, and also possibly cutting a slight bit off the tube (like 1 cm)to help increase the angle of clearance at the master cylinder. That would be difficult though, to cut a carbon/steel pipe precisely. Grrr... :eek:

As for an hp kick, I did not notice any difference up to 3000 rpm, but I have not gone over yet as I installed it last night (finished at 1am). I'll let you know! Plus I'll play around with the G-Tech later and see if there's any improvement in maximum power over my previous baseline readings.

The AEM might be a good idea, but I still liked the idea of a full-on CAI more (plus carbon always looks nice!). If I can get everything fixed up (and if it was all because I installed improperly, or 'not quite' properly) I'll also let you know.

As of this morning, there's no Check Engine light. I just hope it doesn't come back... :D

i had the first CAI mhp did on the mp3. i am fixing to get the new model today. I had the same problem with the clicking against the master cylinder. It was really annoying and it took them two months to figure out where it was coming from i never had the engine light come on though. Right now it is really ghetto rigged with a rubber piece between the two. i can still hear the knocking but not close to being as loud. well ill tell ya how everything goes later tonight
nick

i have the AEM short ram...easy as sin to install and no difficulty with fits...actually no complaints at all....lemme know if th CAI adds a real noticable punch...i notice a dif in shifting
thats all

Seeing as how most cars with our styles sensors don't always take to CAI too well, I say give it some time. It could be that the ECU is still learning the new flow characteristics brought on by the cold air intake. Here's a pointer that might help a few of you who are planning to install the intake.

a) Try disconnecting the negative terminal from your battery while installed the intake. This is known as resetting the ECU. Let the negative terminal stay disconnected for about an hour or so, then start you car and let it worm to normal operating temperature. "DO NOT BLIP THE THROTTLE DURING THIS WARM UP PERIOD. Your still may throw an CEL, but the chances of doing so should decrease by reseting the ECU.

b) Be extrememly careful with the sensor when installing the intake as damaging it can cause you to throw a CEL as soon as you turn you're engine on.

c) Last but definately not least, TAKE YOUR TIME. Don't let anything rush you. Hell the had Rahzel's car for a long arse time and he satisfied with it's performance thus far.

I hope you guy have fun with your intakes....you lucky bastards. I would have one right now, but unfortunately uncle sam likes taking my money.

OK, after some more adjustments, here are my results:

I got rid of the clicking on the master cylinder by rotating the tube upwards a little bit so that there is slightly more clearnace between the first elbow coming from the throttle body and the master cylinder. It seems to be OK now, after a night of driving around town. The damned insulator is almost useless unless you glue it in place because it will slip out of position after the engine vibrates a few times (for me, that meant about every 5 minutes). I hope things remain OK.

Now though, the tube is very close to the battery. It may rub when revving hard, but honestly I can't hear or feel it as the pedal vibes anyways at that point, and the noise from the engine will cover any minor noise coming from there. At rest there is about 3 mm clearance. I'll have to wait and see.

The Check Engine Light is gone now, as I have reset the battery again. I did that previously after the installation, but I guess it didn't reset properly. As per Apexistud, I left it disconnected for a longer period and it seems fine. 3 days (or was it 2?) and no light.

As for power, on the butt dyno, I think maybe a teeny bit of torque is lost on the low end, MAYBE. The only way I can feel this is that at low revs shifting (ie. 3,000 rpm and below), the car does not jerk as much, even if I purposefully clutch out at a slightly wrong time. That's just my guess.

On the high end, I haven't done the G-Tech thing (it's been raining all week dammit) but I've tried revving to 5,500 rpm at part throttle. The noise is pretty cool; there's not so much a hissing like the others said, butmore of a roar in the engine compartment as the intake sucks in air. It's distinct from engine noise, and I like it!

Power-wise, a friend sitting with me said it did feel peppier from 3,700 or so on up, and I do have to agree tentatively. I want to mash the throttle a few times to really feel if there's a difference though. I don't want to BS. :D

Keep you all posted...

Back