Dockworkers staging another slowdown?

SpecialK

I just heard it on ABC news this morning that the dockworkers might be staging another slowdown and that would delay things even longer. If they do, the union will be charge with violating the court order that put them back to work. WTF?

Thats whatr they are saying.. However, from the info I have everything is where it is supposed to be and the MSP is not effected.. Release date is suppoedly still Nov 15th..

What you guys have to understand is that they have been participating in slowdowns for about the last 6 months. A slowdown is a very hard thing to prove especially with the backlog of cargo that they are presently dealing with. Now that the president and the government have gotten involved I beleive that things will have quicker resolutions then they did in the past. And to think that all of this is over the fact that the ports want to automate many of their systems in order to keep up with foreign ports which by technology standards are more than 10 years ahead of our ports. The unions are upset because they can't collect dues from computers that would then be doing the work that was once done by a union worker. Even after the PMA said they would create other jobs for those displaced by the automation the unions still did not budge. MY opinion is they are some damn greedy bastards just trying to get rich at others expenses.

I have a friend that is due to retire from the Teamsters shortly after 30 years of service. He was recently informed that if he chooses to work somewhere else after retirement (something most of us will have to do) he must work a job that in no way could be a union job. This is whether or not the company is unionized. If there is a similar job somewhere in the US that is unionized, he "could" lose his pension.
The labor unions are hurting for members to generate revenue to support their operations and between NAFTA and other global economy moves, and technology changes: the unions are steadily losing membership all the time. Jim

union is another word for cult in my opinion. I know, I'm in one. their utter crap.

Don' tell anyone I said that :)

Back