Put down my deposit in the slimmest of hopes

I went to the Irvine, California Mazda dealer and put down a deposit for a MS Protege today. Seems with all the delays of cars coming in and then assembly of turbo's, etc. we can expect a (not surprisingly) slow trickle of cars to dealerships. Being that this dealer is so near to the corporate office, a very helpful/informative Fleet representative suggested that Corporate employees have first choice on those that are coming in. He claimed that there will be a "total of 5000" units to be delivered to USA and Canada. Some dealerships will get none, some will get as few as 1-5 TOTAL, without any choice of color. He postulated that the spicy orange will likely be the first to go. There are NO GUARANTEES even with a deposit. It's all about economics: Supply v. demand. For us folks, getting a car puts us nearly lowest on the totem pole considering the VIP's who get first choice. I'm hopeful that this rep can pull a few favors and get me the black mica one I want. Seems that the first few should be coming to this dealership between the end of November and December mid month. We'll see.
Sorry for the length of this thread...just thought to give you an update.

This number of units keeps going up from the original 2000. I'll be willing to bet that it will not be a limited production, but it will be a new addition to the protege line and they will keep making them ofer the coming years.

Last edited:
Actually, I'd hope the same. However, Proteges will no longer be in production following 2003. Mazda will be making a Mazda3 to replace the Protege, just as the Mazda6 is replacing the 626/Millinia(sp?). Not sure what the 3 will look like, although they're will be similiarities, I imagine.

colin949 said:
i put my deposit down there about 2 weeks ago, on a black mica

They claim that only a few actual deposits have been made so far. I'm the third. Like you, I'm hoping for a black one too. Let me know if you get yours.

heck yea that means that we have a real good chance then, i am sure they will get around 8 cars. I've been over like 4 times allready, but when he calls me and says it's coming or coming in i am gunna go pick it up that second. I live down in san clemente, and my mom works for the corporate office, she talks to the manager of the mazdaspeeds all the time steve suanders, he said to put a deposit down at that dealer, because they are going to get them in real soon

colin949 said:
heck yea that means that we have a real good chance then, i am sure they will get around 8 cars. I've been over like 4 times allready, but when he calls me and says it's coming or coming in i am gunna go pick it up that second. I live down in san clemente, and my mom works for the corporate office, she talks to the manager of the mazdaspeeds all the time steve suanders, he said to put a deposit down at that dealer, because they are going to get them in real soon

I imagine with your mom working for the corprorate office you may have an "in" - although, we'll see just how soon is "real soon." I'm working with the Fleet Rep who has close ties with the Corporate office. Keep me posted.

colin949 said:
yea, i just wish it would come in a lot sooner i think were all tired of waiting

Amen to that.
Colin, curious why 8? They made it sound like they'd be lucky to get 5, since shipment is reportedly based upon sales volume, client satisfaction survey results, parts/accessory availability, and closeness to corporate office.

Umm hate to tell ya but corporate people have no power to get anything on these whatsoever.. So don't worry.. If you have a deposit you will have an MSP.. if not from that dealer.. go to a different one.

son of a jesus H christ on a crutch cockamamie bulls*** dsfjsakfakljf wkfj wfkwej feqgje.gje vke jkj v3oliv3o4;inm3o onsofnedifneodsnoer why i oughta.....dsadcjwen2uno21 dj ej fekekv jek jev jev,j.kv ekvj ek.j wkjfno2i3f2op'f2nm f32LRROI@RIO@#N
rednedkl2kn WE KM
csowmekf23o

por2
por2i
rfmjprkemf;
.c, 3ce .;kd m., v
dxc
f
pvd

sorry for the length of this post....it seems i WANT MY CAR

colin949 said:
well the guy there said the mp3s came in that many, and they are suppose to get the same amount as the last mp3s

Interesting supposition. From what my guy said, the amount of MSP's they get is related to those things I listed earlier: sales volume, client satisfaction survey results, parts/accessory availability, and closeness to corporate office. In other words, how many cars sold will increase the likelihood of another MSP; positive survey results also help; having all the parts/accessories necessary to assist with those who will be future owners of MSP is a must (can't sell them, if you ain't got the parts to service them); and yes, the proximity of the corporate office does influence a car of two coming their way, since VIP's do get (unofficial) first choice of the MSP's.

I also heard about the 8 MP3's came in a slow trickle:2 or 3, then 1, then 1, etc.....

And I'll quote the Fleet Rep who works with the Corporate VIPs who ask for cars first: "a deposit doesn't guarantee a car. It just helps IF after those who get 1st choice to know who's next..."

and closeness to corporate office
:bs:

And I'll quote the Fleet Rep who works with the Corporate VIPs who ask for cars first: "a deposit doesn't guarantee a car. It just helps IF after those who get 1st choice to know who's next..."
:bs:

Lets see I work for Ford coporate and this is not the case... he's blowing some smoke about the MSP.. I know for a fact through certain resources your detail on how they provide cars to dealerships is correct, aside for the corporate office. The dealer I am going through is getting 14 Orange and black total.

Also about the trickle thing for them comming in.. It may happen but I doubt it.. For the East coast AAI is modifying them, they have seriously hundreds of them sitting in the lot (all done and ready to go as far as I know)

BTW - The second thing I called :bs: on may be true for a normal production car but not limited run, tthey want them to get to customers so they can, hopefully, turn someone into a brand loyal consumer.

i JUST talked to my dealer and he is getting 4 purple ones, 3 red ones, a dozen neon green ones, and thirty two yellow ones with silver zebra stripes (those are expected to go first)

the first 23 should be in tomorrow as pigs soar in the sky over the dealership........

wtf is my car.........asdf.dsgdf.gsd.dhher3hrtwhwr

MI MSP said:
BTW - The second thing I called :bs: on may be true for a normal production car but not limited run, tthey want them to get to customers so they can, hopefully, turn someone into a brand loyal consumer.

MI MSP,
Thanks for the insight. Since we can only paraphrase what were told, I'm not certain what to believe. I do know that this Fleet Rep has contacts at the corporate office and my have some small influence on who gets cars first or not. Is it fair, no - but I expect it does happen. Being a return customer did help my cause. They do pay special attention to those who already purchased a car from their dealership to further their reputation for prospective customers. It's by the slimmest of hopes that one will come our way soon. 14?? Sheesh. why can't we get that many?

dont even worry about it, your third on the list, i am second, well get our cars for sure. Having a deposit does gurrantee us cars when they come in.

colin949 said:
dont even worry about it, your third on the list, i am second, well get our cars for sure. Having a deposit does gurrantee us cars when they come in.

No worries. Just don't know what to believe anymore. For all we know we could be thirty third and/or thirty second in line.

It's all :bs:

and if I don't get one. So be it. I still got my P5.

AAI has theirs done. Not heard about any parts holding up the process. The hold-up now is managing the distribution so they all arrive at dealers on the same day. A little birdie told me.

Back