gas type on the 6s ~ 87 or 89?

CrazyXZac

:
2004 MAZDA 6s
just wondering what ya'll put in your V6...

i got the car with 87... thinkin' about puttin 89...

inputs? good/bad? recommendations?

put in what the manual says. unless you are using forced induction or really high compression, going with a higher octane will do nothing but make you spend more money, if it ain't knockin don't bother.

believe it or not, when going above octane rating that the car is supposed to run on, can actually result in loss of performance...now if it runs on 87 and you put in 89 i doubt it will hurt at all but you are just paying more money for nothing really...

that's what I've heard, but I can swear it runs better on 89. I get better mileage and the car responds better.

seanmcsean said:
that's what I've heard, but I can swear it runs better on 89. I get better mileage and the car responds better.

that's what i heard... so wondering if i should switch to that? (braindead

nope, a GOOD 87 gasoline should be all you need

*GOOD means from a big name gas station (Shell, Exxon/Mobil, BP, Sunoco, etc)

gas really differs that much from BP/Mobil/Shell vs. the no names stations?

weird... (braindead

well it still depends station-by-station, because sometimes fuel from different stations do have quality differences. I prefer to choose the 'name brand' gas stations because they *usually* have a more consistent control on gasoline quality.

I don't think it differs so much from big names vs. no names, but it usually depends a lot on the owner of the gas station. Some no-brand places have great gas and there some stations that are shell, exxon, etc., that do weird stuff to the gas to reduce their costs. So really depends a lot on the place itself and not necessarily the brand. The places that charge more usually do just because they can, not because their cost is more, the exception of course is when they are paying more for the property their station is on.

Some intake owners (non CP-E) put in 89 to prevent pinging during the summer. The Injen and AEM CAI's on the 6s lean out the closed fuel loop modes, which can cause a slight ping every once in awhile which is solved by 89 octane. Otherwise stick to 87. Just remember to run some sort of injector cleaner every other oil change (or every oil change) like chevron techron or fuel power. (FP is actually every tank thou)

I actually did the same thing last time I got my oil changed. I ran some techron through it when I put my next tank of gas in. I heard somewhere that its especially important to do that after your first oil change to clean out any metal shavings or other things that your engine tosses out during the break in period.

Sean, don't you have a 6i though? I don't think the 6i ever needs 89 octane gas.

yeah I do have a 6i. I'm pretty sure 89 octane is probably overkill. Everything I've read said that putting it in won't hurt my engine at all. I'm sure its probably a psychosematic thing but I could swear my car responds better when I put 89 in.

Technically you should run the fuel cleaner right "BEFORE" the oil change. This makes sure any of the gunk it cleans out, which then falls into the oil, gets removed after the change.

Though it doesn't "really" matter if you do it before or after, its usually considered more correct to perform the cleaner a week or so before the change.

Back