release date and what color first

Cam

:
Yellow MSP
I live in Oxnard, Ca and recently sold my 2001 mp3. I have been to two Mazda dealerships and heard different stories about release dates and which colors are coming first. I heard from one dealership that they wouldn't be out till december and that they had 15 ordered (all orange). They said that black wouldn't be out till January. Another dealership told me the release date is November 15th and they would receive 3 or 4 (1 black). I live near the port where the msps are. They have been there for at least a month. Anyone heard a TRUE release date?:(

november 15th is the date that is currently circulating in rumor mills...my dealer had said october 19th, then they said november 1st, now Mazda USA reportedly said the 15th is the day that the dealers take posession for sale. I wonder if the docks/port strikes had anything to do with it, a delay?

I heard through a friend that there is 24 msps with all accessories installed including the turbos. They are waiting to ship them all at the same time so they can be released the same day across the U.S.

There is somebody on protegclub that says at his dealership in N. VA there is an orange MSP sitting on the dealership floor. I'll believe it when I see it.

november 15th is the date that is currently circulating in rumor mills...my dealer had said october 19th, then they said november 1st, now Mazda USA reportedly said the 15th is the day that the dealers take posession for sale. I wonder if the docks/port strikes had anything to do with it, a delay? [/QUOTE]

kenny,
who's your contact? ;)

Last edited:
They are waiting to ship them all at the same time so they can be released the same day across the U.S.

If this is the case, Mazda just shot themselves in the foot. Their screwing themselves. Their better off shipping the cars that are done, letting those customers get them, fall in love with them, brag about them on the net, mags, tv shows etc.

Nov 15th= 2 moths too late in my opinion. Car should have been released in Sept at the LATEST. Sure, you guys in the "warmer" climate may still get a drive or two in Nov or Dec. But, even for you guys, isn't that a bit late?

As for us up here.... my winter tires are going on in about 2-3 weeks. That's about the exact same time the msp is arriving isn't it. I would never buy a car, only to put winter studs on her the first day, and no wax for the winter. Forget it. I'm waiting until the end of this week, and if there's no msp.....I'll keep the mp3 for the winter, and trade it in the spring....for what I don't know.

newf - I agree with you to a point.. They should have planned the launch better, however, with the slowdown and lockout on the West coast many of the aftermarket parts as well as the cars themselves were held up and sat on the water for a lot longer than anticipated. Even after the ports opened up they were so backed up there is a few months backup on normal stuff. Now working at ford and being effected by the shutdown (I ship parts to Mazda for the Tribute/Escape production as well as other Asia Pacific Ford plants) airfreight forwarders took advantage of the situation and were backed up and charging premiums for flights. Now I doubt Mazda would spend any profit they would make on these cars to start flying parts (for example 1 transmission from Asia to US costs around $ 400 if it has to go air, partly because of customs and duties and freight forwarding).

In short, I think they could have released it on time IF they jacked up the price on it to pay for the extra freight, however, with the economy the way it is and all the incentives, they pushed it back to be released with the Mazda6 so now they have 2 vehicles released on the same day which equals more hype for less advertising (although I have yet to see anything for either of them)!

I work for a transportation company and we are a domestic shipper between Puerto rico , hawaii, alaska and guam. All I have to say is there is and are going to be problems with the release dates for alot of things from new cars to new hot sellers for christmas. The lockout caused huge problems all over the world. At last count there were close to 180 ships both domestic and international that were waiting to get into ports. I have heard shippers losing up to 3 million in shipments of produce and perishable items. A guy in our Alaska office said that grocery stores were closed due to no product on the shelves. We are talking critical food here. So just remember I know that you guys are eager to get your cars but car parts are last on the list of things to move. Perishable cargo and restocking supplies and customers willing to pay big bucks for the space are going to get moved first. Nissan as well as Infiniti and several other car manufacturers had to shut down some of their autoplants due to shortage of parts. This halts production of the just released 350Z. The next at least 80 days are going to be just spent dealing with backlogged cargo and it doesn't help that the dockworkers are still somewhat participating in slowdowns. Well due to my job I can't really release anything further but wanted to give you guys the heads up. Going to be quite interesting for the next several months to say the least. If I get any updates I will pass them on.

Would you like some cheese with that whine?

There is no doubt that the west coast dock lock out has impacted nearly every part of the economy. The 2003 P5 I ordered is sitting out in the Pacific somewhere waiting to get to shore. I have a client that has over 30 containers of Christmas goods sitting offshore waiting to be unloaded. None of it will make it to his customer's stores in time for the holidays. Can you imagine his loss? I have another client (a large tool manufacturer) that was supposed to have a new tool in the stores the first of October and nearly all of that production is also sitting off the coast waiting to be unloaded. If any of the parts necessary to complete the assembly of the MSPs are manufacured anywhere in the Pacific rim, they are probably tied up in the west coast mess. It's incredibly fortunate that the chassis themselves made it ashore before the lockout kicked in. My tool manufacturer client told me that it is virtually impossible to redirect a shipment once it has left the Port of Embarkation due to customs restrictions and the fact that the paper work for the shipment is already done for the original Port of Entry. On time roll out of a limited production car has seldom been an on time event for decades, so the "I want it all, I want it now, and I want it delivered" mentality is not going to be satisfied here. If you want the vehicle bad enough, you'll wait for it like I am. If not, you are free to take your money and spend it elsewhere. No flames intended. That's just how I perceive things. Jim

Last edited:
i went down the the shop and ordered my car stereo im having installed in my MSP...........the guy at the shop said my amp was backordered and called up to check if it was in yet.....when I asked why it was backordered he said it was because of the strike in the ports on the west coast, said that the contianer was sitting there waiting to be unloaded.

aaaaaaaaaah the irony. My amp sitting there in a container right next to the container of valves or whatever for our turbos which are sitting right next to our cars.........:)

Agreed Jim...sh*t happens, plain and simple. If something small like this makes the car any less worth waiting for (which I surely think it does not) then go buy another car. Mazda took the time to get everything right on this vehicle, from parts to price. A little extra wait is not going to kill you :).

I disagree, if mazda releases it to a few places and those guys come online and brag about it "ha ha I have my MSP you don't" as they will--GUARANTEED--then mazda will get MORE calls and more heat than they are currently getting.

So now, you might say "yeah they should realease what they have", but if you are not the recipient of one of those, you will be right back here saying "this is BS, they got their car I didn't get mine". Mazda may be somewhat incompetent when it comes to releasing these limited edition cars on time, but they are not crazy enough to deliver only to some clients and not to others..

it wouldn't be so bad if I didn't drive past the dock everyday on my way to work, I can see my car sitting, but can't touch or drive it. My Mazda contact said they should be at dealers in canada during the first two weeks of November.

Everything you guys said about the strike makes perfect sense. I was unaware of the critical situation that it has become. I guess I live to far away. Regardless, all I'm saying is that from a Consumer standpoint, at least a consumer living in a cold environment, it's too late now. It doesn't matter who's fault it is, I just can't see myself buying a car this late. That's unfortanate for me and Mazda.

It's actually snowing outside as I type.....depressing.

to your credit newf, this is mazda's fault. If they had scheduled a summer/late summer release as would have been ideal IMO (get to show off my car all summer) then this wouldnt have happened. And if it did happen, it would have pushed back the release from july to august, not october to november......how is it not considered better to release a sporty car in the summer over the winter?

at any rate this doesnt affect me decision, i still cant wait for mine. Ill just tough the new england winter out!

first im not ordering an msp (wish i was) but here are my takes..

Personally.. i live in southern california... we dont have winter... its a natural phenomenon.. the temp never drops below 60 and we get rain every once in a while.. so that wouldnt concern me at all... but heres an idea for all you folks that are upset about the winter release....

go ahead and slap you winter wheels/tires on... and be careful all winter long... because by the time spring/summer rolls around... you will have a wonderful MSP which you didnt drive too much all winter.. but was driven enough to have gotten broken in (thats the whole point right there) and when summer finally comes around.. you can really go to town w/ your 5 month old car and BRAND NEW wheels and tires (they were off all winter remember??)

see.. so its not so bad if you look at it that way... just tough it out w/ winter untill the car has got close to 500-1,000 mi on it.. then just go ahead and have fun w/ it next spring... and that way you wont be tempted to push it before its broken in ;)

Protege01MP3 said:
first im not ordering an msp (wish i was) but here are my takes..

Personally.. i live in southern california... we dont have winter... its a natural phenomenon.. the temp never drops below 60 and we get rain every once in a while.. so that wouldnt concern me at all... but heres an idea for all you folks that are upset about the winter release....

go ahead and slap you winter wheels/tires on... and be careful all winter long... because by the time spring/summer rolls around... you will have a wonderful MSP which you didnt drive too much all winter.. but was driven enough to have gotten broken in (thats the whole point right there) and when summer finally comes around.. you can really go to town w/ your 5 month old car and BRAND NEW wheels and tires (they were off all winter remember??)

see.. so its not so bad if you look at it that way... just tough it out w/ winter untill the car has got close to 500-1,000 mi on it.. then just go ahead and have fun w/ it next spring... and that way you wont be tempted to push it before its broken in ;)

Good point!! see there is some good that can come out of this! Still wish I HAD my car to break it in, oh well :)

I dont wanna be a dick... and piss anyone off... but i just realized something today... I just bought a new set of Z rated tires... when you all are having to buy winter wheels/tires :) I LOVE LA!!!!! sorry guys

Back