Winter Tires

:
Either a Mazda 3 or Mazda 6
Question regarding winter tires for the Mazda 6. Its very difficult to find winter tire (and rims) for this car since the dimension for the tires are 215/50R17. Would it be possible to go smaller with a rim size (eg - 16) and and a taller tize height (eg - 60), the overall circumference would still be the same. Also is it fine to go with a small tire width (eg - 205) or stick with 215? Basically the winter tires and rim would be 205/60R16, it would similar size to the base four cylinder Mazda6 stock tires. Any help is greatly appreciated

Zoom Zoom Zoom said:
Question regarding winter tires for the Mazda 6. Its very difficult to find winter tire (and rims) for this car since the dimension for the tires are 215/50R17. Would it be possible to go smaller with a rim size (eg - 16) and and a taller tize height (eg - 60), the overall circumference would still be the same. Also is it fine to go with a small tire width (eg - 205) or stick with 215? Basically the winter tires and rim would be 205/60R16, it would similar size to the base four cylinder Mazda6 stock tires. Any help is greatly appreciated
I have 205/60/16 tires on steel rims on the wifes car, they work great. I put on the Nokian Hakkapeliitta RSi, the replacement for the Hakka Q's. They are unreal in the snow and ice, well worth the money!!

Supposedly you can fit 15's on the 6...if you find the right rim to clear the front calipers.

Remember that the stock setup is 17x7 +60 offset and 16x7 +55 offset...so try and match those width's/offsets as close as possible if you want to avoid fitment issues.

CrazyXZac said:
i'm thinkin' about winter tires... not sure tho... we'll havta see :p

I have never been to Michicgan so I'm not sure how bad winters are over there, but I'm guessing that because of the great lakes you get a lot of snow. You'd at the very least need a good all season tire that has decent handling in snow. The stock tire will most likely get you into a bad accident and have you worried about even pulling out of your driveway.

forget what the dealer says about 15"s...they fit cause of the spare in the trunk.

15 is the spare tire. 16's and 17's are stock 4 corners :) not shure if the mazda 3i rims fit. let us know how those 16's from a RX-8 "ATX" work out corssbow.

Crazy, you're not going to be too satisfied with those stock tires on there because as winter comes, you're gonna have more miles on those tires. They won't be good at all and can be dangerous on hill and icy spots. I personally wouldn't risk an accident as that will cost you a lot more than a set of good winter tires and the costs to put 'em on.

I guess it's time to take the Azenis sports off. Then again.. it was like 80 degrees today. I could have sworn I was in Florida.

the less wide the tire for winter, the better, it crunches right thru the snow and ice. If 15's fit at a width of 195 and is safe for use on 4 corners, that will be my choice this winter.

I just ordered my winter tires. They should be in later this week. (Temp this morning was 29F..gah)

http://www.vredestein.com/autobanden/index.asp

wintrac_1.jpg

The WINTRAC V XL's.

Supposedly according to the people who own them, they make blizzaks look like those budget tires you can buy from pepboys for 20 bucks. I think necessity even thought they were performance tires when he was test driving an M3 about a year ago :).

Crossbow, where did you order them from since they are european tires? Also what size did you get? 225/45-17? I noticed they ddin't have 215/50

crossbow said:
I just ordered my winter tires. They should be in later this week. (Temp this morning was 29F..gah)

http://www.vredestein.com/autobanden/index.asp

wintrac_1.jpg

The WINTRAC V XL's.

Supposedly according to the people who own them, they make blizzaks look like those budget tires you can buy from pepboys for 20 bucks. I think necessity even thought they were performance tires when he was test driving an M3 about a year ago :).

Back