Comparrison MSProtege vs. RSX type-S

RSX Type-S OR MS Protege???

• RSX Type-S

Votes: 22 25.6%
  • MS Protege

Votes: 64 74.4%

• Total voters
I have been researching cars for about a year now and was really considering only 2 cars by this point in time: MS Protege and the RSX type-S. I know that Acura provides a slightly better warranty and the web site has a link to the materials used on the car. I was interested in finding out, how will the MS Protege match up in terms of longevity with the RSX and other than that I know the advantages of both. Let me know what you can! I greatly appreciate the info you can give.

I am also considering the exhaust upgrade and the BOV (for the cool sound)! :) However that is discussed in another Thread. I also think that I would be putting a Wingswest body kit on the RSX if I got that. The problem you ask? Look at the price after installation of the body kit compared to the MSRP of the MS Protege! Thanks again for your help!
(mspb)
P.S. WHATS WITH THE COLOR SCHEMES FOR THESE CARS??? WHERES THE BRIGHT RED??? :mad:

I would like to see a vote too if you want to show your opinion... RSX Type-S or MS Protege???

Not sure about in the US, but I know the Type S is at least a few more grand here. It's not a tough choice for me either....MSP all the way!

A few mo. ago I treaded my RSX S in for a Matrix ( needed a family car at the time ) & I have to say that I really loved that car.
I was not happy at all to let it go + I took a big hit at tread-in.
To me the RSX is for a single guy or girl, lately I've seen many females driving them. So it really depends on you & your need for the car. Now that I have the chance to get another SPORTS car, I'm going for the MSP cause if need be I can drive my family & friends around with no problem. I will say this, if you do get the RSX S you will be satisfied with the car. I dropped a short ram intake in & when that VTEC kick in at 5200 rpm or so, it was a great feeling of power ( no torque with that engine though ) that I just loved. Also it's going to be great to finaly have a car that I wont see everyone driving..........:p
Hope this helps......

A car with no torque is just no fun to me. I't a waste to have a car that only has power in the higher rpm ranges. What's the fun in that?

Torque=Fun

only type-s that has a chance at my wallet is the type-s FP, and that is at least 5 grand more than a MSP and is only so-so

so I agree.....no brainer

I loke the RSX Type S, a friend of mine has one.. However it runs the same in the 1/4 mi stock for stock (thats my friend driving his and SCC # for the MSP).. I agree with everyone else.. for paying more for the RSX the trade-off isnt enough.. go with the MSP

MSP ALL THEY WAY

i drove an RSX and i was impressed. The shifting was crisp, the leather was plush and very comfortable, and the cockpit was spectacular and ritzy i will admit. It was fast off the line, and it handled quite well.

But......

what other car can keep up with the ZO6 in the skidpad? Not the RSX. The only car to keep up in the sedan class under 20k was the MP3. And think of this, if the suspension is better then the MP3 on the MSP plus turboed, it will be hella fun to drive. What do you like? do you want to be the next honda boy with a body kit all for looks? everyone has a honda. be different, why spend over a grand on trying to make something look better when you can get a car that looks good as it is like the MSP? the RSX is alot more expensive, but the MSP is alot more fun to drive. Personally i would have taken a Celica over an RSX any day, that is untill i drove a PRO5. Mazda, soul of a sports car..... and damn right!

the handling of our cars can keep up with beemers, corvettes, porsches and ferarri's i kid you not.

Bottom line:
If you want something fun to drive, buy an MSP.
If you want to be ritzy and pay more, buy the RSX

Go with the MSP, and take it out on the street against your friends RSX, you'll be guaranted to lose him in the turns, and in traffic.

A friend of mine is leasing an RSX S-Type. The car really isn't that much more than the MSP. I think it was $23K+. This is his daily drive since he has a '98 Integra Type-R with a supercharger with only 13K miles. He loves his RSX but he had to immediately get rid of the crappy Michelin tires that come with the car. He cannot believe Honda is selling this car with these bad tires. He is now sporting a set of Toyo T1-S tires that he will be switching out fot the Michelins in the fall.

So now you would be looking at buying additional tires on top of the extra money you would spend on the car.

You want bright red? Neither of these cars offer that color. The RSX has a metallic red but you have to get the tan interior in this car which has a tan dashboard. What up with that? Why can't you just get nice black interior like you can with the blue or silver? Honda....they make me wonder.

The R-Type is not coming to the US. You can now buy the Performance Package. It is $4800 or $5300 installed. You get parts to weigh the car down, stop it better and handle marginally better. I am thinking for $5300, you can buy a supercharger and get some tires for that money. Now that would be performance. Honda.....what up, dudes?

I drove one of these cars and I really do like the car. It is super smooth. The shifting is like butta. The one thing I didn't like with the car is how high the doors come up. You really feel like you are sunk down in the car. I felt a bit unconfortable sitting in it.

I hope this helps you make a decision.

Jonny

Thanks for your help guys! Just one more thing...how about the reliability and the longevity? I know it gives more for the money but if it cant last the 110k miles Acura promises i would be willing to dish out the extra few k for the extra lifespan. Also, I am not gunna be in too many races i don't think in this car especially up mountain roads! Hehe. Not to put down the MS just to clarify...how will it compete of the line? Thanks again!

Longevity

Mazda's are great in the long term. the only reason you dont see alot of them is becuase Ford never really pushed Mazda. the only Japanese car company that i would question is Mitsubishi.

If you are going up and down mountain roads, and i twisty turns the MSP would be great for you. Mazda makes great engines. i wouldnt worry about the longevity. Mazda is Mazda.

just a thought..... there are a great many 1st and 2nd gen RX-7's out there pushing over 100k and they run great, and they were experimental. Go test drive a Pro5 with a five speed, it will get you close to what the MSP will be like, just faster and a little tighter!

Hey..
The RSX-S was a car i put into consideration as well. Beginning with the MSRP of $31,000CAN i thought it was a bit on the high side, but after taxes and garbage it's a whole new world! :mad:

Many of us look at it two in performace. But if you look for more than just performace, RSX-S comes with some good standard features. Sunroof, Leather, heated seats and mirror, 6 spd, Bose 6 in dash changer with sub, cruise control etc.

Alot of these features are not standard on the MS protege, although it's going to be cheaper, you get exactly what you pay for.

Performace wise, The RSX-S will have the edge on a stock to stock bases. But in terms of handling, the MS-P hands down. MS-P as you may know already, is one of the best handling cars in it's class. And for the value, i believe this is the best handling car.
Both have lots of modfication that you can do. Although on the MS-P you'll be waiting 'til the warrenty is up before you can touch the turbo.
Anyway, both are exellent cars, and both cars very realiable IMO. But like suggested if you are using the car for yourself and rarely a passenger RSX-S is a excellent choice. If you carry more than 2 people most of the time, you can't go wrong with a MS-P, and even though it's cheaper and you lose all the luxury features, it's one of a kind baby!:D

-Limted Edition

I am actually considering Canadian only RSX Premium model. It has base engine, 160PS, so I'd be few horses short, as well as some torque(only 132lb-ft) and handling. On the other side, price is exactly the same as MS Protege -27K, and I get cruise, sunroof, leather. Also I can get it whenever I want, have choice of colors, better warranty and finance deal could be a bit better.

MS-Protege VS. RSX-TypeS
base Price (U.S.)

invoice: 18,466 N/A
Retail: 19,980 23,170

1. Mazda has a better body styling
2. Mazda has a better Stereo System
3. Mazda has (LSD) plus Turbocharged
4. It's a Family Sports Sedan
5. It has better handling

Performance Wise:

Acura from May 02 issue of C&D:
0-60....6.3sec
1/4mile.15.0sec@n/a...mph

Acura From Motortrend Issue
0-60....7.1sec
1/4mile.15.16sec@92.7mph

MS-Protege from Sep Issue of C&D:
0-60....6.9sec
1/4mile.15.4sec@91mph

MS-Protege from Oct Issue of (MT) motortrend:
0-60....6.5sec
1/4mile.14.9sec@93.2mph

MS-protege from Autoweek:
0-60....6.6-7.0sec
1/4mile.14.9sec@93.18mph

I would pick the MS-Protege IMO

I will give my voted to the RSX Type S, then again what did you expect

rsx01.jpg

Last edited:
Longevity? I would go for the RSX ... my 12-year-old Honda still runs great and tight and doesn't feel its age. Wish I could have said the same for my B2200 in its later years. Plus a non-turbo vs. turbo motor is bound to live longer.

You can also pick up a slightly used RSX Type-S pretty easily for less than a MSP.

I was also considering an RSX, but I went with my used MP3 mostly because the theft rates (and corresponding insurance rates) for the Integras are extremely high. Every outlaw ricer who wants to mod out their Civic will see a parked RSX as a parts warehouse.

i definitely would take acura/honda/toyota over mazda for longevity

BTW...to name one reason the MSP is way better than the type s to me......4 doors = less insurance

Back