Damping

djltoronto

:
Mazda 3 Sport
I've read that several people have changed their springs to higher rate and/or progressive rate springs.

Do you not find that your suspension setup is now under damped without also changing the shocks?

I find the stock shocks and stock springs to be a fairly good match for decent comfort with decent handling, but stiffening up the springs would in effect reduce the damping ratio giving you less damping.

I want to increase the handling characteristics, and don't mind a firm ride, but I do not want a bouncy ride!

I havent seen any shocks on the market yet either? Hopefully soon though

Last edited:
hey DJL, japanparts.com has a full mazdaspeed suspension you can buy, shocks, springs, sway bar, and tower bar, but you're looking at a crapload of money for all that PLUS shipping

Airman Jack said:
hey DJL, japanparts.com has a full mazdaspeed suspension you can buy, shocks, springs, sway bar, and tower bar, but you're looking at a crapload of money for all that PLUS shipping

Thanks for that input.
And your right... those prices are outrageous...

Hopefully soon the mass market will join in.. Tokico, Koni etc...
I've had Tokico Illumina's before and they were worth every penny!!

I think I'm gonna wait till shocks are available before I get lowering springs!

djltoronto said:
Thanks for that input.
And your right... those prices are outrageous...

Hopefully soon the mass market will join in.. Tokico, Koni etc...
I've had Tokico Illumina's before and they were worth every penny!!

I think I'm gonna wait till shocks are available before I get lowering springs!

it depends on how stiff the springs are. it's not an F1 car, so you have a little leeway in the design range.

AWR sells Konis for the 3.

www.awrracing.com

more specifically:

http://www.awrracing.com/store/index.php?cPath=60_74

Last edited:
dmitrik4 said:
it depends on how stiff the springs are. it's not an F1 car, so you have a little leeway in the design range.

AWR sells Konis for the 3.

www.awrracing.com

more specifically:

http://www.awrracing.com/store/index.php?cPath=60_74

Thanks dmitrik4, I've never heard of them till now.

How is the ride quality of anyones car who has had it lowered with stiffer rate springs?

Quote from Tokico
Q. Can I use sport lowering springs with my original shocks?
A. Very few original shocks have the damping necessary to properly control sport lowering springs. Even if they work reasonably well when first installed, the higher rate springs will cause the factory shocks to wear much faster. "

There must be some truth to this!! (confused) (nobody)

of course there is. yes, stiffer springs will wear out the dampers quicker. but that's different than being underdamped on a day to day basis. for example, i'm running the MSP springs over my stock front ES struts, with the MSP struts on the rear.

the fronts will probably have a bit shorter life, but the car isn't bouncing down the road. it's not underdamped b/c the springs aren't THAT much stiffer. that was my point- you can get away w/ the stock struts for a while if the spring rates are reasonable.

edit: remind me again, what is tokico in the business of selling? ;)

dmitrik4 said:
of course there is. yes, stiffer springs will wear out the dampers quicker. but that's different than being underdamped on a day to day basis. for example, i'm running the MSP springs over my stock front ES struts, with the MSP struts on the rear.

the fronts will probably have a bit shorter life, but the car isn't bouncing down the road. it's not underdamped b/c the springs aren't THAT much stiffer. that was my point- you can get away w/ the stock struts for a while if the spring rates are reasonable.

edit: remind me again, what is tokico in the business of selling? ;)
I see your point... of course a shock company will try to "sell" their shocks rather than admit that stock shocks would probably do the job just fine.

Airman Jack said:
so DJL what do you think? Springs and shocks? or just springs and replace the shocks when they wear out?
Well... I'm thinking probably springs for now (after winter) and then shocks as required..

I suppose that money, ride quality with factroy shocks, and aftermarket shock availability will all be factors..

what's your take on this

Super cheap...

Back