trade your 16" alloys for my 17" alloys?

Airman Jack

:
Orange 3 Sport
would anyone be interested in this trade? I'm not making any promises....yet... just trying to find out if anyone with...what is it, the 3i model in the states or the GS model here in Canada has the 16" alloy rims and would like to trade up.... (uhm)

so i would give you my 16" alloys and you would give me your 17's........if this is the case im in for it man.........i'll be glad to do this trade........just let me know

yup that's the plan.... I just thought of this though, are the bolt patterns the same? I'm pretty sure they are, 5-bolt 114..

EDIT: what are the dimensions for the 16? 205/55/R16 right?

Last edited:
Yes, the 16-inch tire size is P205/55R16, and yes, the stock 16-inch and 17-inch rims & tires can be swapped with no issues (in fact, my winter tires are on the Mazda3 OEM 16-inch rims).

But I think most would be questioning why you're doing this downgrade?

I'm still not sure if I am going to or not, I was wondering if there would be interest. I'm planning on doing the same thing you have, and use the 16 inchers for winter tires, as I was planning on getting some 18 inch summer tires anyway.

wongpres,

Do you know if the RX8 18" rims fit the Mazda3 correctly also? Its the same bolt pattern but I am not sure about the offset. Thinking of getting 18"s for the upcoming summer also...haha...and we haven't even gone past winter yet.

Yeah, I saw your question from the local. You're not going to get an OFFICIAL yes/no answer from Mazda corporate or any dealership (well, maybe a dealer will give you an 'off-the-record' response). It's liability for them with absolutely no benefit.

But, yes, it will fit. It's a tight fit though, so you'd have to be very careful when driving. Personally, I think it's too marginal given the roads in Toronto (and I already avoid the bad ones).

wongpres said:
Yeah, I saw your question from the local. You're not going to get an OFFICIAL yes/no answer from Mazda corporate or any dealership (well, maybe a dealer will give you an 'off-the-record' response). It's liability for them with absolutely no benefit.

But, yes, it will fit. It's a tight fit though, so you'd have to be very careful when driving. Personally, I think it's too marginal given the roads in Toronto (and I already avoid the bad ones).

What do you mean by "tight" fit? are you talking about the tire sidewall? Or tight fit as in the tires will rub?

It's a tight fit in that stationary (i.e. going lock-to-lock while stationary), the wheels will be fine (assuming appropriate tire size). However, out on the street with speedbumps, pot holes, curbs, and so on (i.e. suspension & steering movements while the car is moving about), there's a chance of hitting or rubbing. So if you get it you'd need to be careful.

hey,

I don't think there is a chance of rubbing since on M3F, a few guys have done put them on their Mz3s. I think if you get the right tire (225/40/18), it should be a perfect fit and the car shouldn't feel any different. The only negative thing is, have to be more careful when driving on rough roads and 18" tires cost more than 17" tires.

But just checking some pictures of people with 18"s, 40 as the aspect ratio means you still have a reasonable amount of rubber.

I'm just a little worried when I take my camping trips in the summer, how the car will be able to handle the cottage country roads.

would you be interested in the 16" protege5 wheels the newer model(2003.5)

I have 7 of them and I know at least 4 are in near perfect condition

Back