NEPOC - Holiday Charity Event

:
07 F150 HD
ok guys, let me get some feedback from you here....

Even as we were first forming the club as you can see in the very first "about the club" posts, I had the intention of doing something as a club for charity. I saw last winter when I was thinknig about forming a club how some old hot rods club or something had a toys for tots run and have been thinking about it ever since. Well i just got an email from tunernetwork.com or something about how they are doing a cruise where everyone brings a canned good to donate at the end of it and that has kicked me back in gear and made me realize that we need to get going to do something for the holidays.

So how many of you are interested and what do you want to do. Some of my ideas were:

1. Volunteer in soup kitchen type place on thanksgiving
I would like to do this but I can certainly understand how many of you may want to be with your families and just relax on thanksgiving.

2. Food drive around thanksgiving/christmas/both
We could plan out a fun route to cruise along about a week before whichever holiday, put out boxes at businesses along that route, and then on the designated day, cruise the route, stopping at the businesses to pick up the canned goods and deliver them at the end to a soup kitchen type place.

3. Toy drive around christmas
We could either make some effort to collect toys or more likely just each buy a toy ourselves, wrap it and then all go together to some community center or place with a bunch of needy children and give out the gifts. What could be better for the kids than santa clause cruising up in a line of skittles....

4. Another idea i just came up with is kind of a bowlathon type thing, similar to what was talked about with the coast to coast mazda run a while back. We could make up some forms, and each club member takes the forms out to work or whatever and gets people to sponsor them either a flat rate, or ideally, an amount per mile. And we have say X number of hours that we will be driving around. This one requires significantly more planning, in the end we only have cash to give an organization, not food or toys to give people, and it involves probably a few hours of driving at least so maybe its not as good as some of the others but i thought i would just throw it out there.

5. Anything else

So let me hear it, do you want to do something for charity like this? We certainly dont have to if people arent interested, or if you dont like my ideas for what we could do or have some of your own then throw em out there.

Last edited:
I am in for number 3, the toy drive. That would be awesome to each get some toys and tehn go to a place and give them to the kids themselves. Just to see the look on each of the kids faces. I am sure they would love to look at the cars too. Especially with the bright colors. You know how kids are.... let's do it.

Chris

This is an excellent idea. And even though I like the thanksgiving stuff I have to first find out family plans. I like #3 a lot and I think, like you said, the cars would also be exciting for the kids. We'd probably all end up buying r/c cars, die cast models, and matchbox cars :D

cbcbd said:
This is an excellent idea. And even though I like the thanksgiving stuff I have to first find out family plans. I like #3 a lot and I think, like you said, the cars would also be exciting for the kids. We'd probably all end up buying r/c cars, die cast models, and matchbox cars :D
this seems like a good idea from the list. guess we will just have to find out some info and get things going? i am always up for giving gifts....i am game for pretty much anything!

yea, I will start to look into this this weekend.

once I have some details I will put together a document detailing and formalizing the plan, and maybe we can all go to our places of employment and see if the companies and/or employees would like to donate some money to the cause. If so we can hit up toys r us for some more gifts in addition to what we each contribute....but I am getting ahead of myself.

keep posting your feedback and I will look into some details this weekend

That's an incredible outreach to the community.. If I weren't in Texas, I'd be joining with ya.

(2thumbs)

the wheels are already turning....glad to hear you guys are interested :)

I am already running with the toy drive idea and I am taking it in a couple different directions so I will be sure to keep you posted when I get any more info.

please keep posting if you are interested in participating so we can get a rough idea of how many people there would be. Once we get further along and have some details hammered out I will of course cross-post and invite the other mazda owners to participate too.

Pretzellogic said:
Sounds good. I may need a place to crash, though.
I know of a good guardrail 'round these parts. I'll hook you two up.

btw, relevant to what was discussed in this thread ill mention a couple downsides to this...

one is that the drive is focused in southern new england (hartford) so its not very central to our members.

The other is that they have restrictions at the hospital most of the time where visitors cannot be near the kids at all (flu watch and all that) so we probably wont be able see the kids at all. but I will get more info about this aspect in the next few days... The big "team" aspects to this will be collecting donations, the big shopping trip and wrapfest!

these arent biggies I dont think and we can always work on them for next year if this year's goes well :)

Back