Faster Mazdaspeed! Faster!!

MSPCanada

Ok, I've heard the MSP is good to maybe 10psi or so. What must be done to get this number higher?
What internal mods do I need? Where do I start? Exhast? Intake? What's first to get some more power right away and a good start for future mods?
I also heard the intercooler is on the small side, what will fit?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!
Thanx

well as i read they made the turbo TAMPER proof. that means you can't change the boost. i think it was a seal or a clamp that if you try to take it off it will break. Therefore you must go to the dealer and he is going to ask question and what not.

Personally, I'd keep the MSP at around 8psi. Def get exhaust...some fancy intake. Maybe some cams.

What about other internals, such as pistons, rods, crank,
valves, valve springs, camshaft? They will hold high HP right?
I hear the the real problem with supporting high HP lies in the
tranny, so what do we do at this point? Can we get a compatible
tranny that can hold the extra power or what?
Also what about a bypass valve, does the MSP come with one? If not will installing one ultimately void warranty?
Sorry for all the questions & if they have already been answered, my bad.......:confused:

yeah i want to put a bypass valve on it, im interested in this answer also. One thing though, since mazdaspeed is coming out with a line of aftermarket goodies for this car in january if we put mazdaspeed stuff on the engine/car will those parts not void the warranty???

some ppl on this board, spoolin for example, is runnin 210whp with the stock tranny. So the tranny isnt the weakest link when ur modding your msp.....

If I had a mazdaspeed, I would put a 3 inch exhaust and 3 inch downpipe. A conical filter in front of the turbo compressor, bov, boost gauge and frontmount intercooler upgrade. This will bring you to about 8-9 psi of boost since the reduced back pressure from the exhaust and downpipe will increase the psi without manipulating with that stupid tamper proof seal. Expect about 195 whp with these upgrades which translates to about 230 crank horsepower. I would not touch internals. You do not need to do that since factory turbo cars are very upgradable.

hey guys, sorry if its already been asked

but i was wondering what kind of I/C and intake does the MSP already have.

also, being the newbie that i am, what are cat backs? catalytic something?

Last edited:
GSh said:
hey guys, sorry if its already been asked

but i was wondering what kind of I/C and intake does the MSP already have.

also, being the newbie that i am, what are cat backs? catalytic something?

engine.jpg

there is the IC setup

not my pic, taken by a forum member...cant remeber tho, i just go around, right click, save as ;) i think linuxracr maybe...

Spoolin - Since the turbo is only a T25 why do you say a 3"... I would think a 2.5" would be fine unless I am not thinking of the airflow correctly.

It doesn't matter what size turbo it is, turbo cars work best with little to no exhaust. As the turbo god, Corky Bell says, "For turbos, no exhaust is the best exhaust".

On another note, lots of people are saying, "What do I needto do to boost up to 12 and 15psi?" You don't need to. Most of you are thinking, "Eclipse's and WRX's usually run at 15 to 20psi so that's what I need to get lots of horse power. Wrong. Those cars also have a lower compression ratio, like 8:1. The FS-DE 2.0 has 9.1:1, therefore 8 to 9psi on this motor will be kinda like 10 to 13psi on a motor with 8:1 comp. So there's no need to try to get it up to 12psi, you will have plenty of power at 8 or 9psi.

Exactly Ben!,
8 psi on my car is equal to roughly 15 psi on a WRX.
Thats a lotta psi!

You should feel like what 8 psi on a WRX feels:rolleyes: ...................We need to boost much less since our compression is higher. Just for you information 5 psi of boost on a super high compression integra type-r feels like 10-12 psi on my car and 18psi on the WRX:eek:

"factory turbo cars are very upgradable"

Mostly true statement. Look at VW 1.8's and WRX's.(most benefits come from chip mods). But Isn't the MS protege the same FS engine used in all other proteges? Rumored to be only good to 10 psi.

Plus. No one knows what tricks Mazda's included in the ECU program. A couple of examples:

1. Fuel cut on Eclipse cars.

2. Autospeeds search for easy power on the WRX... After exhaust and intake mods the ECU "trimmed" boost back to the stock levels negating the benefits of the free flowing exhaust. Peak power remained the same despite a new intercooler, exhaust and filter. But they did get a healthy low end boost from faster boost rise. After they changed the ECU with a new chip, power went way up all over the rev range.

WRX's are anemic in the lower revs. So exhaust mods w/out a chip are still worth it from a driveability stand point. The MS protege is suposed to be a stump puller from the bottom already. So if the ECU is a bastard, exhaust and intake mods will only be effective at draining your wallet.

It will be interesting to see how much leeway the MS Protege ECU allows. Hopefully chip burners will jump on it. Hopefully the chip will fit into N/A Proteges!

But Isn't the MS protege the same FS engine used in all other proteges? Rumored to be only good to 10 psi.
Lots of people talk about this 10 to 12psi barrier. All of you need to talk to Terry. He has had boost spikes at 15psi. The only reason this motor has problems at 10psi and up is because of the timing, the compression ratio, and the rods. The timing is full advanced, that's bad for turbos. All you need to remedy that is a piggy back like the Link such as Terry's or a J&S. The compression is 9.1:1, therefore, 10psi on our motor is like 20psi on a WRX. Guess what will happen on a WRX at 20psi if they don't have aftermarket timing control,....BOOM!,...broken rods or piston. Our rods are also known to be weaker than normal. Stronger rods are redily available.

Anymore questions?:D

Back