Contributor
:
64 Valves, 16 Cylinders, 7.2L, 622 HP
GRM Project Miata MXR2

This:
DSCN1118.JPG

...plus this:
DSCN0850.JPG

...equals Grassroots Motorsports $2005 Challenge!

(nana) (nana) (naughty) (first)

Miata MXR2 (or XR-5). More to come........

Paul, are you watching? ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Natey said:
Please say that you're gonna put a BP-T in a Miata...
Nope. He was planning on putting the spoiler w/ badges on the miata.

no offense, but how are you going to route the front wheel drive turbo capri motor into a rear wheel setup?

Captain KRM P5 said:
no offense, but how are you going to route the front wheel drive turbo capri motor into a rear wheel setup?
He's just going to swap out the turbo parts. (rei)

Captain KRM P5 said:

I thinkyou're missing the minor detail that the Capri turbo and the miata share the same block... All the little turbo parts more-or-less bolt right up..

more info here; http://members.aol.com/solomiata/MX5Engine.html

there's been a couple people to do that swaqp already, but I can't seem to find their sites just now....

Natey said:
Please say that you're gonna put a BP-T in a Miata...
Close....B6-T :D

I'll be posting pics as the project comes along. I just picked up the Capri this past week. Once I'm done with all of this business travel, I'll be working on this project non-stop.

The manifold will bolt right up in that the Capri and Miata share essentiall the same engine. The only detail that I'm concerned about is the clearance between the turbo and steering colomn.

Last edited:
Update #1

ARRRRRGGGG, the XR2 turbo is just trashed. I finally got it out of the XR2 and and partially dissassembled. There was minimal rubbing of the compressor wheel, but the spindle was offset by almost a millimeter on the compressor side. The turbine side of the turbo is even worse. See the attachments for clarification (rolleyes). The turbine wheel is offset a hair more than 2mm and is resting agains the housing. I'm willing to bet that this turbo isn't going to be cheap to rebuild. It almost appears that the spindle is bent. I basially mangled the seal plate because it would slide past the offset spindle. The four thurst bearing screws (T10 heads) are now stripped because they're so damn tight. Etc. Etc. Etc.

But fear not, Miata #2 will be turboed before the deadline!

Does anything look a bit strange to you?.....

Attachments

• DSCN0895.JPG
    DSCN0895.JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 651
Last edited:
Dibs on a chance to drive it!!!!! I'd offer to drive it for ya if:
a.) You didn't already know what you're doing
or
b.) I wasn't going to be at sea for the challenge next year :mad:

By then, I should have broken down and bought r tires for our new MSM, so we could slap them puppies on for some REAL grip....

What do you say, Kevin???? :D

scapamouche said:
Dibs on a chance to drive it!!!!! I'd offer to drive it for ya if:
a.) You didn't already know what you're doing
or
b.) I wasn't going to be at sea for the challenge next year :mad:

By then, I should have broken down and bought r tires for our new MSM, so we could slap them puppies on for some REAL grip....

What do you say, Kevin???? :D
You're more than welcome to drive it! :) . I can at least say that I'll be running better tires than I was at the divisional in Gainsville, hehe.

Also, I think you should go for the R's. They're lots of fun (lol2) . Go two sizes over the stock recommendation of the wheel (as long as there's no rubbing). For example, I'm now running 225's on my 5.5" stockers. Talk about lots of grip.

kcbhiw said:
You're more than welcome to drive it! :) . I can at least say that I'll be running better tires than I was at the divisional in Gainsville, hehe.

Also, I think you should go for the R's. They're lots of fun (lol2) . Go two sizes over the stock recommendation of the wheel (as long as there's no rubbing). For example, I'm now running 225's on my 5.5" stockers. Talk about lots of grip.
What! Are you implying I have no experience with Rs???? ;) What do you think I was running on in DS...

I am a bit concerned because I have to go all the way to 225/45s if I want something wider than stock... compared to 205/40s.... That's A LOT more sidewall.... good for gearing, bad for weight, I'm thinking... And I'm not sure if they will clear.

Anyone have experience with 225/45-17s on a Miata???

maitai92 said:
sounds like a fun project but isnt it cheaper and easier if you just put a Greddy turbo?
Negative! I bought the car for $100. I have since reclaimed the money and still have quite a few rather valuable parts to sell. Had the manifold and turbo been good, I'd be set (vs. a $2000+ greddy setup). Still, If I weld the mani and rebuild the turbo, I'd be out only a couple hundred dollars.

scapamouche said:
What! Are you implying I have no experience with Rs???? ;) What do you think I was running on in DS...

I am a bit concerned because I have to go all the way to 225/45s if I want something wider than stock... compared to 205/40s.... That's A LOT more sidewall.... good for gearing, bad for weight, I'm thinking... And I'm not sure if they will clear.

Anyone have experience with 225/45-17s on a Miata???
Did I imply that? I meant it to be obvious since you were so slow ;) j/k.

Yikes! That's a big jump. I doubt that they'd add that much weight though. I'd be more concerned with the rubbing aspects.

scapamouche said:
I'm not worried about the weight.... the rubbing is...... the rub...
I wonder how much it would rub. I have to space out my front wheels a 1/4 of an inch to clear any (very minute) rubbing with 225's. I am, however, unaware of any differences between the wells of the NA and NB Miata's, so that may be a moot point.

Back