Stock alarm on MP3 & MSP

arkitek

Would the stock alarm be sufficient as a theft/break-in deterent or should a real one be installed?! Thanks.

The MP3 didn't come with a alarm, just a keyless entry system w/ a panic button. Get an aftermarket alarm for sure cause there are many jerk offs out there that know about our stock stereo system and will jack it if they ever get a chance. I am speaking from experience. Mine was stolen early this year.

our MSPs come with a perimeter alarm. I wasnt planning on upgrading it though.....I dont know if our MSP subs will be as easy to steal os the subs in MP3s since I have heard there is a metal cross bar in the trunk built into the kenwood shelf thing, i dunno....personally I am putting even more of a system into my MSP when I get it. All the new stuff will be literally bolted down to the car and I plan on lining the front (facing the front) edge of the kenwood deck with some razor blades.....

Thanks very much for the info.

Perimeter Alarm. Does anyone here have a good explanation for what that means exactly?! Much appreciated.

Not sure, but that sounds to me as alarm with motion sensor. It would probably include imobilizer. It starts blipping if you're moving dangerously close to the car. Very popular in Europe, and sometimes very annoying if parked on street - they can be triggered by fast car driving by, or truck, or... you get the idea.

You didn't want to wait until the MSP got here and you could check the alarm out before you added another option to a car that isn't here yet? What does the 450 option have on it, what features does it come with?

i dont know but he said theres 2 kinds of alarms, a series 1, and series 2. Series 2 is the best you can get and is not what it comes with. also insurance is cheaper with this alarm vs the other by 15% vs 25% discount

errr......the alarm it comes with is a proximity alarm which is pretty damned good....so he may have been misinformed about the alarm it comes with, or maybe he just wanted to take you for a ride. I cant believe mazda sells an alarm package better than a proximity one. And i dont know about your insurance company, but all the ones I have looked itno give you a discount for having a car alarm. My 1991 mx6 has a factory alarm that ONLY goes off if you unlock the doors when the alarm is on. You can smash windows and take body panels off and drop it off a cliff, but the alarm wont go off until ou unlock the door. And then the horn beeps and lights flash and ignition locks up. That crappy alarm gives me the same discount as a few hundred dollar clifford after market "beep boop" one that protects against noises and vibrations and whatever..........the only thingk to further my theft deterrant discount would be Lo-Jack.

MazdaNeal - Honestly dude, don't trust the dealer on anything.. the dealer markup is outrageous and the installs are usually sloppy as hell and good luck trying to get it serviced if anything goes wrong. Go to a reputable stereo shop in the area that has a good alarm (DEI makes pretty much all of them under different names like Viper and Hornet). 450 gets you alot better at one of those places than the dealer.

Some MP3's came with an alarm.

At first mine was so sensitive a dump truck would drive by and set it off. When it goes off it sounds like a random pressing of the horn.

I had them turn it way down, but I still got the blinking LED on the instrument panel.

Tim

Im not sure on how much Lo-Jack is or if there is a monthly charge, but for anything other than peace of mind, I wouldnt get it.. The spot they put it is pretty standardized and if not done by a reputable shop can be removed fairly easily.

umm

i dunno about the rest of u guys but my mp3 came with a perimeter alarm. its sweet but vibration and loud noise sets it off easily

Same here. Thunderstorms and loud vehicles set it off. If I stop it by unlocking the door it does no good, since the system will rearm itself in a few seconds, if a door doesn't open. And I'm not run out in a thunderstorm just to open a car door! I say let it beep and deter anyone thinking about getting close to it!!

If I am not mistaken, according to the 2003 Protege manual (there is a specific alarm guide) the alarm is a stage 2 shock sensor.

Back