Kenwood Stereo - MP3 vs MSP

arkitek

Haven't seen this discussion.

Anyone here care to speculate the MSP's Kenwood sound system will be in comparison to the old MP3's?

I'm hoping it won't be a downgrade in sound quality.

How was the MP3's anyway?
How good and deep can the 10" subwoofer go?

Thanks.

its an 8.

And kenwood subs suck as far as aftermarket stereos go. In comparison to like Rockford Fosgate, Kicker, JL, etc...........that is.

For a stock system it is awesome, and the 8 will probably help the stock system to sound better than any other one on the market. It is definitely not a downgraded stereo, but I have been getting the impression, perhaps falsely so, that it is in someway a step up from the mp3, maybe a few more watts on the 8" or something......

I was about to post this very same question. Since, I may trade the mp3 now, I was worried about this. I love my stereo. I mean, for a stock stereo it's fantastic. I don't want to "downgrade"

My only worry is the head unit in the msp. It's less attractive by far, and it's even quite cheaper then the z828 was originally by almost 200.00 american. Of course, the z828 was one of the first mp3 players, and back then that was enough to raise the price alone, and now mp3 players are a common thing. So maybe that's the reason for the price difference.

But, is there any real difference between the two, besides, the flip/detachable face?

I would have like to have the higher model kenwood, the one that's lets you play wma files ( movies ) and display your own pics. Just a toy, but a conversation piece for sure.

I alwaysfelt that teh MP3's 10 inch Kenwood wub was a over kill when it came to clarity. I think the 8 should sound more crisp and cleaner less over whelming bass. But who knows at this point. I am completely satisfied with the MP3 sound system, hell so are almost all my friends. They all wish that their system sounded like mine. I think that the MP-919 looks a bit better than the Z828 and I like the flip-faceplate better than a detachable. Last but not least, the trunk packaging is a lot better for those people who like having the trunk space, I'm not one of them of course.

yeah the way the sub is tucked away in the msp is nice. I'd really like that. But, then again, our subs come out easily. I'm willing to bet that that enclosure doesn't come out in the MSP and your going to loose some height in the trunk at the same time.

I also like the flipface better two. I'm wondering if the MP919 tilts as well, so you can see it better. The ONLY thing I don't like about the Z828 is that it's hard to see sometimes during the day, and you can't adjust it

I don't like detachable face stereos, they make me feel like I'm back in the early 90's when they were the thing to do.:rolleyes: I should be complaining though, I could have been stuck with the z919

That's high praises I'm hearing for the MP3's sound system. Given it's Kenwood, a smaller 8" woofer with more wattage will surely result in a cleaner low end.

The trunk packaging is very nice indeed. Though for a performance car, I'm rather surprised with it's design since it raises the car's center of gravity. Or I could be wrong here in that it actually might help performance by lessening rear grip to reduce understeer.

Does anyone know if this deck allow for a digital radio add-on, the free kind? And no I'm not talking about Sirius Satellite Radio.

dont know anything about digital radio.........

as for performance, I have heard that there is some kind of rear strut tower bar/sway bar type thing (just a metal bar), built into the hanging sub thing.........rumor has it that it helps with body rigidity a little

who knows

APEXistud said:
I don't like detachable face stereos, they make me feel like I'm back in the early 90's when they were the thing to do.:rolleyes: I should be complaining though, I could have been stuck with the z919

Ain't that the truth!!:mad:

the sub being on the rear deck will help alot out with sound quality. Also i do wish it was a 10 and not an 8 though. Grr... And i want to be able to see the strut bar.

The good things about the MSP's system are the tweeters, and the external amp. But I agree with people that the deck is not as nice to look at... but the motorized face is kinda neat.

On the MP3 anyway, what's good about the stereo?! Anyone?! How's the treble, midrange, bass?!
How low can it's 10" sub go anyway?

For trunk space reason, I'm wondering if I can live with the 8" in the MSP coming from my current 12" Kaption w/ 250W Rockford Fostgate amp that can tightly go down to 20hz.

arkitek said:
On the MP3 anyway, what's good about the stereo?! Anyone?! How's the treble, midrange, bass?!
How low can it's 10" sub go anyway?

For trunk space reason, I'm wondering if I can live with the 8" in the MSP coming from my current 12" Kaption w/ 250W Rockford Fostgate amp that can tightly go down to 20hz.

Are this numbers from the manual?

I've got at home Paradigm PS1200 sub with 12" cone, 525W integrated amplifier, size of the Protege trunk, and although it can shake house, it cannot reach 20Hz, without losing more than 3db.

What I'm trying to say is that numbers don't tell full story. Bring your preferred CD, listen to the system, and go by the seat of the pant...

dimic said:

Are this numbers from the manual?

I've got at home Paradigm PS1200 sub with 12" cone, 525W integrated amplifier, size of the Protege trunk, and although it can shake house, it cannot reach 20Hz, without losing more than 3db.

What I'm trying to say is that numbers don't tell full story. Bring your preferred CD, listen to the system, and go by the seat of the pant...

I use a reference CD track which contains a sweeping tone from 150 down to 20 Hz. You are correct in that it isn't as loud at 20 hz as say 30 hz though at how many dB lower I don't quite know. My sub does start rolling off at 26 Hz or so. However, it is a very useful tool to tweek your sub settings and learn their abilities and nuances.

Since we're on the subject, a home sub will never go as low as a car sub due to the air volume involved. You need lots of wattage to obtain a 20 Hz at home that's for sure. I have the Paradigm PW2200 myself actually. It's very similar to my car sub in performance, nice and clean.

Last edited:
Back