Will 18x8" Wheels fit lowered GFX Sedan?

3Wheeler

:
Mazda3 GFX Sedan, M/T
I'm planning on putting new wheels and summer rubber on my car this spring.

For me, handling is everything, so I'd like to go to as wide a rim and rubber as possible, even if speed performance suffers from the unsprung weight.

I'm hoping to put 18x8" wheels on. The current estimate is that they'll be tight, but that it could work if I go to about a 35mm offset. My car has been lowered 1.3" all round with Progress springs.

I'd also love to be able to put 245/40/18's on, but again the width is of course a concern. Obviously 8.5" rims would be better for 245's, but apparently that rim width is out of the question.

Does anybody know what my maximums are?

Thx.

Huge! OMG...

Call Discount Tire Direct, They will probably tell you that the car will have to have it's fenders rolled. Get a hold of me if you need some help with the Rolling, I'll tell you how to do it or get you a "HOW-TO" thread...

Our fitment guide at DTC says on an 18 that 225 is the widest. Keep in mind this is going to be the most common fitment. Will other sizes work, sure, but good luck finding a shop that will test fit some of the options for you.

If you are lucky and depending on your offset, you might be able to get a 235 to work but I would be worried that there might be issues involved with that.

Thx for the replies, guys.

Sheesh Brian, I don't even know what "fender rolling" is, but my gut reaction to the term is anxiety. =o)

The BFG KD's dont' come in 235/40/18's, they jump from 225 to 245. I'm lucky that I do have a shop that'll do the fitment "experiments" -- I just have to bring beer! =o)

So come spring, my car'll be on the hoist, hopefully before too much beer has gone down the hatch. (eek2)

3Wheeler said:
Thx for the replies, guys.

Sheesh Brian, I don't even know what "fender rolling" is, but my gut reaction to the term is anxiety. =o)

The BFG KD's dont' come in 235/40/18's, they jump from 225 to 245. I'm lucky that I do have a shop that'll do the fitment "experiments" -- I just have to bring beer! =o)

So come spring, my car'll be on the hoist, hopefully before too much beer has gone down the hatch. (eek2)
Fender roller is the attachment...

215/35/18 is the second attachment. My tires actually stick out the side of the car a bit. So your idea of wider might not work to well.

Attachments

• FENDER STRETCHER - (1).jpg
    FENDER STRETCHER - (1).jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 293
  • 30112003 239.jpg
    30112003 239.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 318
Thx Brian. Looks like you'd really have to know what you're doing before getting into rolling your fenders.

I had 225/45/17's on the stock rims for a while, before I realized the tire store had put tires on that were too wide for the rims. They didn't stick out, but of course the rims were only 6.5" wide.

Your comments indicate that the Protege fitments are more or less the same as the 3 -- is that the case?

3Wheeler said:
Thx Brian. Looks like you'd really have to know what you're doing before getting into rolling your fenders.

I had 225/45/17's on the stock rims for a while, before I realized the tire store had put tires on that were too wide for the rims. They didn't stick out, but of course the rims were only 6.5" wide.

Your comments indicate that the Protege fitments are more or less the same as the 3 -- is that the case?
The stock size is 205/50/17 for the "3"

The stock size for the P5 is 205/50/16

That would be that the outside diameter of the 3 tire is larger (Slightly) even though the tread width is the same. I would recomend going to Discount Tire direct on the internet and seeing what tires they recomend and sticking closely to their sizes.

3Wheeler said:

The fender rollong is not that bad, just have to be slow with it and use a heat gun to make sure the paint stays soft.

Thx, Brian. It appears Discount Tires Direct isn't going any wider that a 7.5" wheel, but Tirerack is showing 8" wheels as fitting -- with a 45 to 52mm offset from what I can tell.

one way of teling is remove th rear spring and lift up on tire...it should clear the fender... If not then that ansers the question of if it will ever rub.

I'd rather be safe than sorry, so if I can't get real comfortable about a clean fit on the 8", it'll be 7.5" for me. I can still get a 225 tire on there. I'll post the "fitment experiment results" once they're done in the spring.

3Wheeler said:
Thx, Brian. It appears Discount Tires Direct isn't going any wider that a 7.5" wheel, but Tirerack is showing 8" wheels as fitting -- with a 45 to 52mm offset from what I can tell.
Good idea buddy. I blindly got some rims and tires for my last car and I had to run with 1/2 Tank or less and drive like a sissy or they would rub. It would lead to modification buggery and that is always an anticlimax!

(canada)​

Da 6 said:
one way of teling is remove th rear spring and lift up on tire...it should clear the fender... If not then that ansers the question of if it will ever rub.
Good idea, but IMO. Thats a **** of alot of work!

Brian MP5T said:
Good idea, but IMO. Thats a **** of alot of work!

Not on the 3, it isn't. We don't have Mac struts in the back, so you can take out only two or three bolts and remove the rear springs. (thumb)

Da 6 said:
So that would tell me whether the back would fit, but what about the front? Isn't the front where the real worry is, given the fact that the tires turn?

goldwing2000 said:
Not on the 3, it isn't. We don't have Mac struts in the back, so you can take out only two or three bolts and remove the rear springs. (thumb)
Man, better check that those bolts are tight! (eek2)

goldwing2000 said:
Strange

IIRC the rear springs are seperate from the rear struts so ther is no real need to compress any springs in the rear...GW can you verify? No picts on spring install so I was guessing it was real close to same or similar in rear.

Back