re: CEL this morning

Protege52003

Contributor
:
'08 Jetta; '10 Wrangler Unlimited
re: CEL this morning

I have noticed over the past week and a half that my engine idles very low 400-500 RPM's when fully warmed. It does it a couple times a day on average. I noticed it a couple days after i installed my AWR motor mount.

When driving to work today it happened when i was half way there while engine was fully warmed. It them threw a CEL. I was running early to work and drive by an autozone. Stopped in there for them to check it.

The computer said the EGR valve was misreading and 2 cylinders were mis-firing. The rough idling is probably due to egr valve getting stuck closed, which could lead to engine mis-firing????

I have a wagner shorty in and they should not be causing any of this?

The car has 36k on it.....going in monday to get looked at. If they will cover it under warranty, that will be nice. They should.......

Has anyone else had this ERG problem/very low and rough idle? Thanks....

-Ryan
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

my idle is sometimes rought, though its never shown a cel. i attribute it mostly to my k&n intake though.

dosle said:
my idle is sometimes rought, though its never shown a cel. i attribute it mostly to my k&n intake though.
....this is real rough. tries to idle at 400 RPM, which is 300-350 less than normal idle speed.

i actually had the idle throw a CEL, it was wierd because all i did that day was wash my car. it was a cold evening though but i'm not sure.

I guess 1 out of every 10 3'rd generation proteges have this problem due to bad EGR's. This problem I guess started to show up over the past couple of months. The EGR's are on a national nack-order. MY dealer cleaned mine out and car is running okay now and the new one should be here in a couple weeks......warranty. Should have kept my wagner on. MY dealer would have been cool with it......!

Last edited:
Steve89GTA said:
What is a GRV? Is it the EGR valve of some sort??
...don't know what i was smoking this afternoon????? i was in a computer class for work and half paying attention. sorry

Last edited:
This was one of the problems that the dealership overlooked for me.....I installed everything back in place and guess what?????? the idle is still off goes up and then idles then drop way down... so now mazda is finally seeing that this is a problem....a problem just like them damn coil...

Jeremy

It's on the back right side of the engine. Follow the ERG tube off the cast header towards the intake. I saw where my mechanic was working while cleaning it. I saw the actual piece and he showed me the valve and how it stuck......

protege52003: you'll have to take a pic for me...I thought the part looked like a blow off valve...then when I took it of it looked more like a wastegate hahahaah...but I cleaned it out and mine was shut...i dont know if its suppose to be shut and then open or open and then it should shut...

Jeremy

Protege52003 said:
It's on the back right side of the engine. Follow the ERG tube off the cast header towards the intake. I saw where my mechanic was working while cleaning it. I saw the actual piece and he showed me the valve and how it stuck......

What did they use to clean it?

Back