Aftermarket support for the MSP

SpecialK

Do you guys think the MSP will get a lot of aftermarket support/intrest? Things like turbo back exhausts, intakes, downpipe, etc? I am hoping so, but will probably wait for awhile until I modify at all, except maybe a bigger exhaust.

I think it will get the same level of support that the MP3 got - limited amounts for limited production cars. The tradeoff for exclusivity is less third party after market support. I would imagine that support would be better if and when Mazda brings out a second wave of MSPs (and I for one, think they will.).

noppee...

If you think about it, most of the MP3 aftermarket support is because of the P5...As for as I know, The MSP has a completely diffferent engine, so you won't be able to use parts from a mass produced car like we MP3 owners can. If it wasnt for the P5, the MP3 aftermarket wouldnt have nearly as much to offer

completely different engine??? as far as i know, its just an added turbo, why wouldn't msp's be able to use p5 parts?

yup.. its still an FS (as far as i or anyone else ive talked to knows... and as far as mazda has said) but its just turbocharged...

Yea, I think the support will be there.. for an intake you can use anything out for the MP3 or 5 seeing as the gap still exists for a CAI.. the only thing I am thinking about is the new exhaust.. with the cat so close it can only help and with 800 orange and 1200 black in 03 and titanium and yellow in 03.5 there will be plenty of vehicles to market too.. besides any aftermarket company will know they have a solid market as mostly people who are into modding will buy this car (aside from the few old men who will buy it to try and look cool) so they know the demand is there.. Aside from the exhaust, intercooler and ECU we can use already existing parts.. the intercoller can probably be modded to fit the MSP from most other vehicles with some knowhow.

Geeze, you gotta love mis-information. "Use the same intake" My friend you are so mislead. You cannot use any of the same intake or engine performance parts on the MSP. The intake wouldn't even go to the same place. The turbo feeds the throttle body. The filter is directly hooked up to the turbo. If we were to put an intake on the car, it would have to go directly on the turbo. Get rid of the air box and there ya go.

Almost everything for the MSP is going to have to be new. Nothing can be used from the other cars (except cams, but I wouldn't use NA cams on a Turbo car). This is a completely different animal. We are now Turbo'ed while the MP3 and the P5 are NA. It may be the same motor and internals but the car uses a completely different intake and exhaust and also uses a different ECU.

As far as numbers. The first (possibly only) run is 1750 cars. Period, not 2000. 500 orange and 1150 black.

As far as support. Support, umm...have you been sleeping through class...MAZDASPEED. We have the support of an aftermarket company that is the OEM supplier. We most likely won't need anything else that isn't universal. Sure you can use the turbo timers, boost controllers, a/f controllers, timing controller and other things that you can put on any other car.

Only thing that we should be concerned about for these motors is internals. Are we going to have rods, pistons and cams made in case someone gets in heavy. Everything else can be custom made. Exhausts can be fitted by any custom exhaust shop in any state. Nothing new there. Intakes....well if you have the skill, go down to your local parts store and order some rubber connecting pipes and some mandrell bent exhaust pipe and make your own.

-Jeremy-

Ok.. so I was ignorant on the intake, I quickly glanced at the engine bay of the MSP and didnt see anything that would prevent using a current intake with a cone filter that you can hook some pipe up to it.. as for the vehicle count I was also quoting a number from the dealer.. however the press release reads 600 spicy orange and 1,150 black mica so you were wrong on the orange :p.

Also how will Mazdaspeed support aftermarket when they are just reselling what is on the MSP with the exception of the turbo? I doubt they will be comming out with exhausts and intakes anytime soon.. They are more worried about a flawless launch with the MSP.

Also the other thing you have to worry about on the MSP if you plan on upgrading is the tranny internals.. I dont care how good you think they are.. you get a boost conroller, a bigger intercooler as well as an exhaust you will want to make damn sure your not going to be blowing gears out of the housing.

Yep, I agree on the tranny....it is supposed to handle a little more power...like 250 whp...we already have MP3's and some P5's putting 200whp out and the tranny is ok. On this issue, I guess you have to know "somebody" and I think I do......

From what I understand, the dealers that are buying into the MS bravado are looking to become aftermarket parts companies. Remember Mazdaspeed was and still is a aftermarket parts company. They will be releasing new parts for the cars. Right now, the focus is on the release....then come the first of next year new parts will be flowing into dealerships.

On the numbers..... s***....just read it again...I knew there are going to be 1750 but I didn't do my math, I knew that something was wrong with my post..... Ah well...win some, lose some...

-Jeremy-

heh.. Ya I figured i'd get ya once too.. As for MS having parts out.. I agree they will but like you said.. they are working on the launch right now.. so I would be expecting to see other products inside a year.. a lot longer than some of us will wait :)

[Edit] My brain wasn't working correctly at work.. now im home I'm all better.

Last edited:
MI MSP said:
heh.. Ya I figured i'd get ya once too.. As for MS having parts out.. I agree they will but like you said.. they are working on Focus parts right now.. so I would be expecting to see other products inside a year.. a lot longer than some of us will wait :)

mazdaspeed makes focus parts?

more than likley you will prob see aftermarket parts from 3rd parties (ie, Borla, APEXi, etc..) before MAZDASPEED releases any thing beyond 'replacement' parts.

I would look for spoolin to come out with things such as downpipes and maybe intakes for the MSP. With his exp with the MP3 he should be able to produce a few parts for the MSP and get a jump on everyone else.

Things such as intakes, downpipes, and exhaust should come within a few months. Turbo upgrades, manifold upgrades, intercooler, and bov will come later, maybe a year.

About everything else is or will be available soon. Fuel, drivetrain, bottom end, top end, all that should be the same as the protege/mp3/p5.

Prophet said:
[/B]
On the numbers..... s***....just read it again...I knew there are going to be 1750 but I didn't do my math, I knew that something was wrong with my post..... Ah well...win some, lose some...

-Jeremy- [/B]

There are 1750 MSPs for US and 250 for Canada.
That makes 2000 for 2003 and I don't think that aftermarket suppliers will care too much where you're ordering from, as long as you pay it up.

BTW, ratio is usually USA:Canada=10:1, so 1750:250 would imply that MSP may be a bit easier to get in Canada :) No chance for negotiating though, as I found out, except on trade-in...

The 3rd party stuff as it was just refered to will probably offer better pricing and quicker availability. This is what would be better to me, but for those of you who actually give a poot about the warranty, you're better off waiting for the Mazdaspeed specific parts. If I was to get a Mazdaspeed, the first thing would be to have a custom or aftermarket exhaust done, get a boost controller and do some datalogging to see what has been changed by the mods just added. Not everyone should rush to get a conical filter right away since adding one could lean you out a bit and possibly kick on the CEL, although this is not likely, it is still a possiblity. Some WRX owners had this very problem when throwing on a conical filter. I'm sure we'll be fine though.....

Because the P5 and MP3 have been out and are becoming more and more exposed every day...I think the MSP may get aftermarket support in less time then it took the other siblings.

I hope to see current and future site vendors support the MSP. ;)

Can't wait to see what mods come out and how they improve performance (hopefully). Many new questions will be asked...got answers?

Good stuff :cool:

Back