Tire leaking

bvmazda3

(burnout) Ugh. Here's the story: A buddy and I are side-by-side at a red light, and upon its change to green we accelerate moderately hard. The road bent shortly after this, so we both eased off the throttle. I wasn't going an insane speed, I estimate 100-110 KM/h (62-68 Mph), when I encountered some serious oversteer!

(confused) This baffled me, as I had let the trottle off at corners much tighter, and going faster, but never had this much oversteer.

After bugging me all night, I checked my tire pressure the next morning - DUH! (silly) My back left tire was flat! This obviously fostered some concern, so I topped it up and vowed to keep an eye on it.

Three days later: Same tire is flat again. Topped it up. Hmmm.. not good! Checked around for nails, screws, etc. Couldn't find anything.

2 days after that: Tire very low. Topped up air, checked for foreign objects.

Today (1 day later): Tire moderately low, on par with previous 'leak rates'. Topped it up, took a long time attempting to find an object embedded. No luck.

So my questions...

- Do tires leak if they're faulty, or just if something has gone through the rubber?

- Does the M.A.P ('Mazda Added Protection') program or the tire warranty on the Goodyears include any road hazard protection?

- If I bring it to the dealer will they rape my wallet to fix a flat, or will they give me the option to stop the work (so I can pick it up and take it to a reputable tire shop)?

These might be dumb questions, so I apologise, however I've never had a new tire that did this before.

Thanks to anyone who can help! (uhm)
Bart

there are 3 reasons causing your leaking tire:
1) most obvious is a foriegn object penetrated the tire and is causing the leak. Take note that the object MAY be very small or was later dislodged,but your tire is still leaking.
2) Leak around the bead area (part where tire and wheel are joined together).
I Highly doubt this one as it is common on older/chrome wheels, because of either old tire matter or the chrome has peeled away from the bead area, causing air to leak out. BUT the tire MAY have a torn bead that the air may be leaking out of or the barcode tag is causing the problem.
3)Your TPMS valve stem may not be tightened all the way and air is leaking out of your valve stem.

1st thing I'd do is take it to a reputable tire store, preferably Discount Tire Co. as they use the modern and best tire repair products today, unlike most others who use Nylon Patches w/ fix-a-flat. BUT only do it if it is a free service. If they will do it for free, have them find out what's causing the leak and repair it ONLY if there is no tire dmg. IE heatring or Runflat. IF the tire is damaged and needs to be replaced and the cause is the TPMS, get the proper paperwork and take it back to your mazda dealership and demand that they replace your tire b/c of improper setting of the TPMS.

I'm not sure if the MAP will cover the tire if it needs to be replaced, but you should have a limited warrantee from defects.

They shouldn't charge you more than $15-20 to repair your tire.

BTW your questions are not stupid, they are very intelligent and thought out.
I am glad you explained the situation and that you at least attempted to find the problem. WE are here to help everyone and that includes you!
Good Luck,
Rock

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions - Very helpful!

I'm taking your advice and heading to a local tire shop tomorrow - they've been highly recommended by others in the past (for those of you in Victoria, they are Miles Primrose Tires Unlimited). Had a chat with a very friendly lady there who explained almost exactly what you did, and who would be glad to assist.

Since we don't have the TPMS option in Canada, the greatest liklihood is that something punctured the tire, and as you said, is either small or no longer in the tire.

I called the dealer asking what a fix for this would cost, and he pretty much didn't have the time-of-day for me, despite wanting my 30 bux. The tire shop wants far less, and they guarantee the work. Plus, I don't need to know where I'll 3 weeks from now, at precisely 10:45AM, to make an appointment as they're first-come-first-served.

Thanks again for the helpful advice!
Bart

That's great to hear. Sounds like a good tire company you got a hold of.
I especially loved the guarantee they gave ya. Good luck!

There have been cases in the past where the aluminum wheels were semi-porous and the air leaked right through the wheel.
If the tire shop cannot find a problem with the tire, this may be an option.
If the wheel is found to be porous, you can have it replaced under warranty.

roofing nails

OOooog, roofing nails

bastard... I bet he got the kind without the glow-in-the-dark saucers too

ROFL - that's hilarious!

Turns out it was a drywall screw that had worked itself in really tight.

Hmmm... Maybe I was a victim of a copy-cat vandal, the 'Furious Screwer'!

Back