My First Rotary Vehicle!!!

Mazdaspeedgirl

Resident Autocrosser
:
99 10AE MX-5 | 2016.5 CX-5 GT
I am so excited! Next week I bring home my first rotary powered vehicle! Convenient, since I just got elected President of our Texas RXs Club, a club for rotary powered vehicles.

Okay, so why do I use the word "vehicle" you ask? Because, little known to the masses, Mazda built and imported a Rotary Pickup.

That's right, ladies and gentlemen, the Mazdaspeedgirl is now the proud owner of one of these rare pickups. I have restored a number of american muscle cars, and now it's time for me to restore a rare beaut from my most favorite car company in the world!

Some facts about Mazda's rotary pickup, aka REPU:
*It is a miniature truck (size of an old ford courier or Chevy LUV)
*About 15,000 were imported between 1974 and 1977
*They have a 4 port 13B rotary engine
*The gross payload (what you can put in the bed) on these little suckers is 1400 lbs!! that's about what a 3/4 ton truck can hold!
*They came with front disc brakes (snazzy for 1974)
*The rear axle ration is an astounding 4.625!!:eek:
*The front suspension is independent double wishbone (God I LOVE Mazda--even back then they incorporated the zoom-zoom into a truck!)
Will tell more later, as I do more research...

I don't know if you are aware of this, ...

If you go to Mazda North (on Burnet) go across the street to their used car showroom, ...

And there is Roger Beasley's pickup, ... don't know what year, but it is an older rotary pickup. In case you need some inspiration :)

Also, there is a 2nd gen RX7 in there, ... both in IMMACULATE condition.

OH MY GOD!!!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I was looking for the REPU at Mazda South because that's where i saw it last, but I didn't even think to look there! OOO! I am going tomorrow!!
(yippy)(yippy)(yippy)

I think my woman has lost it!! I say truck, you say nuts!! I luv the damn thing as much as she does, but I think I am still sane. Here is to the beer GODS!!!

Mr REPU said:
I think my woman has lost it!! I say truck, you say nuts!! I luv the damn thing as much as she does, but I think I am still sane. Here is to the beer GODS!!!

(drinks) (rofl)

Nice...They were built to be little torque monsters...But they never caught on because at the time, rotaries were still wierd to people here. Plus, the trucks didn't have as much torque as they wanted, hence the insane rear end ratio.

I still want one, although i think it would be fun to just get an old B2000 pick-up and put a fire breathing rotary in it.

Hmmm, maybe, just maybe.

StuttersC said:
Nice...They were built to be little torque monsters...But they never caught on because at the time, rotaries were still wierd to people here. Plus, the trucks didn't have as much torque as they wanted, hence the insane rear end ratio.

I still want one, although i think it would be fun to just get an old B2000 pick-up and put a fire breathing rotary in it.

Hmmm, maybe, just maybe.
go for it man! It's been done to an 80'2 B2200....bad ass...

I heard that! I miss my garage...:( damn layoffs!!

So I think I may need a fuel pump for the truck. We couldn't keep him running unless we poured gas down the carb...I'll start with the easy stuff first tho--fuel filer and check the lines. Now i just gotta trailer him home...

How did your boyfriend break, now you trailer him around?? OUCH!

Maybe if you weren't feeding him gasoline...

Oh wait, the truck, my bad...

I know...I have sooo many forums to fit in between my driving time...and new job...and moving!! :p

Mazdaspeedgirl said:
I know...I have sooo many forums to fit in between my driving time...and new job...and moving!! :p

Excuses, excuses, excuses...

You know, if I had a dime for everytime I heard that one, I would have a freakin' dime...

StuttersC said:

Excuses, excuses, excuses...

You know, if I had a dime for everytime I heard that one, I would have a freakin' dime...
lmao...oh! i forgot to look at your new pix you posted...heh hehhh...:D

Mazdaspeedgirl said:

lmao...oh! i forgot to look at your new pix you posted...heh hehhh...:D

Where did I post new pics??

Oh yeah, on FM Protege's site...:D

hey MazdaSpeedgirl, is your Repu yellowish? was there some gathering you recently went to? i think i saw pictures on the rx7forum of it if so. not sure though.

Back