Rubber

Mikey444

:
Mazda 3 & RX-8
I'm planning on this rubber once the stock tires are done, what you guys think? Just to let everyone know, I am not dishing out a dime on new mags but I want new springs, what do you guys recomend? Links please.

One more thing, what should I use as a cleaner for my leather seats?

Last thing I would like to know, what is the weight of the stock mags for the 17" ?

Attachments

• Toyo Proxes 4 Tires.JPG
    Toyo Proxes 4 Tires.JPG
    11.4 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
it would help if you list which tires those are. they looks like the proxy4 which is a very good all season tire

I concur! I have reason to beleve they are Proxes and seing you don't choose to get new rims with them those are a good choice. If you decide over summer to get another set of rims bump up to T1-S You can use the amoral leather wipes on your seats to remove the dead skin cells.

Last edited:
Yup there Toyo Proxes 4's. Summer tire would be nice but some of are spring and fall months can be really unpredictible.

Mikey444 said:
Summer tire would be nice but some of are spring and fall months can be really unpredictible.
Yeah unfortunately...my stock badyears on my neon got me out of1.5 feet of standing snow with cai(no fears of hydrolocking) where the other cars with chrome and z rated tires canceled out 4WD(hand) I wish I were in florida...I take that back!

LOL, the stock Michelins are not that bad when they are new. They have been friendly to me so far. But I heard that once they reach about 20-30% of there life span it is a progressive piece of s***. It's good at least to know what to expect. The Mazda 3 tires were a G-d damn bad trip. I was driving at 4 am in a white out on the highway and I am only doing 30 km/h (under 20 mph) and I am on the fast lane, all of a sudden I see a car in front of me that is at a dead stop on the fast lane on the highway, the tires would not stop the car for #$*@ I swurved off the road and ended in a bank of snow, that was when the Mazda 3 was only 3 weeks old. Had to take the car to the body shop to fix the wheel well 200 bux. Those tires are soo bad there getting replaced next month with only 17 000 kilometers on the odometer. The Michelins at least, they dont wear out really fast, I've been driving them really hard, I got about 2500 kilometers on the odometer now and I cant even see the slightest sign of tread wear.

untill you autocross them...I am on a 2nd set of front michelins cause w/o abs the 1st set locked up eaisly on the highway and 2nd set killed in auto x

Lol, yeah, I remember a few days after I bought my car I went to a track and I was swurving it like crazy, it really handled well, I gues the combo, of ABS, EBFD and TCS is what makes the difference for me.

The stock Michy's are crap. I've since gone through a set of Toyo T1s and Falken Azenis sports. So far, I've liked the Falkens the most, but they'll be useless in a few months when it ets cold and starts to snow. The Proxes 4s are great all seasons. I'd consider it a toss up between them and the ziexs for daily driving. I wouldn't consider either (at all) for track or autox use.

Mags = rims? 23 lbs iirc. They're ridiculously heavy.

Mikey444 said:
as long as it's sticky rubber and side walls are stiff I will do everything with em
Mikey444, where are you getting Toyo Proxes 4 in 215,50-17?

The stock mich's are one of the lowest rated oem tires of all time. Using the words "ok" "decent" or "good" in the same sentence as them means you haven't tried anything else...and when I mean anything else, I'm talking tires 1/3 the price that make them seem like a blind man teaching a sharpshooting course by comparison.

Check tirerack, even their ratings are abysmal...less then 3/10 will ever buy those pos's again.

The proxy4's are an excellent all-season, but remember M+S = Mostly Slow.

Check tireswap for pricing on the Toyo Proxy4's...he's pretty competitive.

http://www.tireswap.com

I think hey typo'd 215/40/17.

Tireswap.com has all the sizes in a dropdown on his page. Good prices too.

Necessity said:
I think hey typo'd 215/40/17.

Tireswap.com has all the sizes in a dropdown on his page. Good prices too.
Yeah I went to his website and used the pull down menu for sizes on the Proxes 4, but couldn't find 215,50-17. I did email him though so let's see what he says. I looked elsewhere for Proxys 4 but couldn't find 215-50 17 anywhere.

So M+S means mostly slow...what does that mean...little to no highway driving? They are V rated tires though.

Last edited:
I've had nothing but good luck with my Sumitomo HTR+ tires. Great value, good in snow, good in summer and better than expected on the AutoX circuit. Tires ride better with less noise than my stock RE040's. Another nice thing is I actually have traction in the rain now.

Mostly Slow refers to the fact they are all-seasons, and never will perform as well as a performance tire on dry pavement.

All-season means that there are a number of design limitations in the tire which prevent it from exceeding in anyo ne area. Aka they'll never be as good as snow tires in the winter, nor as good as performance tires in the summer...they'll just be "ok" in both situations.

crossbow said:
Mostly Slow refers to the fact they are all-seasons, and never will perform as well as a performance tire on dry pavement.

All-season means that there are a number of design limitations in the tire which prevent it from exceeding in anyo ne area. Aka they'll never be as good as snow tires in the winter, nor as good as performance tires in the summer...they'll just be "ok" in both situations.

Having a hard time getting them in the 50-17 size for the 6. Are they the best all season tires out there?

crossbow said:
Yup. You can plus size btw (225/45/17) and still have no issues with rubbing on the stock rims.

Won't the speedometer and odometer read incorrectly?

Back