Delivery Day - checklist

Hello all..

Our MAZDASPEED as we all know it, is arriving real soon!.
some even say that the first ones to be out is from October 15th onwards. That's in less than 10 days away.

Now, since this car is my very first car and limited production i'd like to ask everyone to make a checklist for me to print out at home before i pick up my car. What kind of things to look for?

i don't want to be arguing with the sales manager when i find out that i'm missing the standard 'wheel locks' or 'cargo net' (because they have taken it out to sell it to me seperaty)...
I hate it, i just want to know what i'm getting is for sure...no scams please.

let the checklist begin.
:)

Thank you!

Well.......Not to brag, but this will be my fifth new car experience.
First I will start by looking the car over very closely, interior & exterior ( I bought a Matrix & two days later I found greasy finger prints inside the back passenger door ) should take me about an hour to two hours of searching. Make it like you are expecting to find some kind of ding or scratch & if you do see something let your sales guy know right way. Other then that I'll sit in the car while its turned on & play with all the switches & especially the kenwood system, also I want to look under the car & under the hood & let the car idel for a while & look out for any change or irregular sounds from the engine. So mostly common sense for me..........Hope this helps I'm shore others will have a much more detailed list for you. Definitely get those wheel locks & cargo net.

it would be neat if we took delivery at the same time rugged, if for no other reason then so we can meet, and I could sure use your experience in new car buying. Im #1 and ur #2.....that would be funny, the two of us just show up and get to pick over the whole shipment that they get in..........im gonna look the car over obviously, but I dont know if I know all the right places to look, or more importantly if I would be looking for the right kinds of things. My main criteria in picking mine out of the lot was going to be fewest miles (even though it will probably be only 10 miles vs 7 or whatever)

just so you all know the mazda dealership already has their mazdaspeed in stock but not for sale it has a nice car cover over it for the release date. The Parts guys told me this. I walked in and too a quick peek under while no one was looking and it was the Mazdaspeed in Mica Black. all i can say is wow. I was excited to see our podunk mazda dealership actually get a limited run car. maybe i will trade in my ES for it.....hmmmm maybe not.....

i thought we were suppose to be getting the 'Wheel locks' and "cargo net' Standard!?
Someone posted this under the "release facts' (something like that) thread...
Along with the premieter alarm system...what ever that is? car alarm?
if they have our cars under a car cover when we take delivery, can they just throw in the 'car cover' as well??:D

Yeah, does anyone know more about the car alrm? is it going to suck? Is the first thing I should want to do is replace the alarm with an aftermarket one? If so, what knid of alrm is good? Can you get a good alarm installed at Circuit City or Best Buy? I would prefer to get it at a place like that so when I move to Vegas if I have any problems with it I can take it there.

it would be neat if we took delivery at the same time rugged, if for no other reason then so we can meet, and I could sure use your experience in new car buying. Im #1 and ur #2.....that would be funny, the two of us just show up and get to pick over the whole shipment that they get in..........im gonna look the car over obviously, but I dont know if I know all the right places to look, or more importantly if I would be looking for the right kinds of things. My main criteria in picking mine out of the lot was going to be fewest miles (even though it will probably be only 10 miles vs 7 or whatever)

That would be great, I have a tread-in, are you going to tread or buy? My email is Ruggedboy@msn.com, let me know when your delivery date is set. Sense your #1 on the list & you'll be looking for the fewest miles I'll take the next one with the fewest miles, that's something I also had in mind when getting this car.
Later.......:)

I don't think you guys can just go in an PICK your car. In order for you to pick up the car from the dealership, it has to be fully insured in order to drive it off the lot if you are financing the car (which most of us probably are). My dealer told me that they will call me with the VIN# of the car so I can properly insure the car so I can take delivery. The dealer chooses which car you get.

Is this different in other states?

Mark

Delivery Day Expectations

Just remember that these cars are a limited production model and the "Mazdaspeed" dealers are likely only going to be getting them in increments of 1, 2, 3, etc. per month dependiing on their allotments, according to my dealer.
Also, don't expect to be able to pick from what's on the lot like regular production cars. If these go like the MP3s did, they will nearly all have deposits on them before the truck shows up with them for delivery and as Mark94 stated, the dealers will have the VIN numbers assigned to those orders.
My dealer gave me a copy of the vehicle order document when they ordered my P5. It shows everything that is supposed to be on the car and shows the order transaction number and my name for future tracking of this car in Mazda's system. I don't know if they can do that with the MSPs, but if you've put money down on one, it sure won't hurt to ask.
The mileage on the clock should be the last item on your check list. Wear and tear from the delivery process is not worth worrying over, be it 5 miles or 25 miles. I've purchased new cars that had over a hundred miles on them with no problems. My '97 Civic was dealer traded from Cleveland to Toledo and had the mileage from that trip on it. Besides, how many full throttle burn outs can you do in 10 miles? A lot. Jim

Last edited:
Limited Edition said:
Km/Milage upon delivery?
what should we expect it to be less than?.
i think anything over 10 KM is too much!

I'd say if the car has more than 3 miles on it than someone else has driven it. my mp3 had 12miles on it before I test drove it and 17 when I bought it.

RuggedMazda said:

That would be great, I have a tread-in, are you going to tread or buy? My email is Ruggedboy@msn.com, let me know when your delivery date is set. Sense your #1 on the list & you'll be looking for the fewest miles I'll take the next one with the fewest miles, that's something I also had in mind when getting this car.
Later.......:)

What are you trading in? and do you know how much they are giving you for it?

I have a 1991 Mazda MX6 right now and I will trade it in if I can but I dont know how trade-ins work and didnt know if they would take an older car like that.....
I think im going to swing by Modern tomorrow and see what they say.

you can check your cars trade-in value at www.kelleybluebook.com also the dealer will take off some money if your car got some exterior damage (even little damage) and some other such as tires, color...etc.

slug420..if you can...sell private...unless you want to get very little from the dealer.

MSRP = Manufacturer suggested retail price...last time I heard.

LOL... no.. how MUCH is msrp in canada that's what I'm trying to figure out.. 27K-27.5K is the WORD, but nothing official??

slug420: yeah sell it private if you can, but make sure you can sell it at least over $1000 of your trade-in value, because when you trade your car in, dealer will only charge tax for the price after deducted from the tradein value. For MSRP, I'm not sure about Canada, but although in USA, it's 20500, my dealer said they must do those paint, fabric protection thing...crap...and the final price ended up 21095..

What are you trading in? and do you know how much they are giving you for it?

I have a 2001 Echo with like 25k in good condition ( its not my car ) other then a little hit from behind that dose not even show & like two dings that I hope the 'ding king' will fix. Kelly shows a trade-in as around 7k or so. I know its not the best thing to do, but I don't think anyone is going to give me what I owe on the car ( hey if anyone is interested I owe $10,200 or so & thats all I want for it nothing more :D ) & I know the dealer is not going to give me that.
This is not my frist time trading- in, so I know I will take a hit.
If my calculations are correct I should be paying anywhere from 4k to 5k more then I would if I was getting the car with out my trade & depending on the interst I should be around $400 to $450 mo., but for what I plan to do with this car in the future & for what I get in the mean time I will sacrifice getting new kicks for a while.........Call me crazy, I know I am....:p

Back