New Miata Owner 1997

Okay, here we go, will have lots of questions and need some advise. I have not signed the check yet but here is the deal, what do you think?

I wanted a weekend toy and didn't want to pay a lot for a Miata. I found a 1997 w/92K miles leather, power windows, AC, CD, new tires and back window - seems to be in great shape, runs good and feels tight. Final price $5300.

The guy put 50K miles on it in a year and did minimal maintenance, all highway of course. Says he did regular oil changes yet only has a few receipts. (how many people save oil receipts?) I would assume it needs a major tune up, brakes a well worn and exhaust is questionable.

The car is clean, under carriage is rust free, top and upholstery is very good. Only has a few minor dings, clean history. My gut feels good about the car but ..

What's your feelings on the price and situation? What should I look for? Does the timing belt need to be changed on these cars?

Thanks a lot, Billy

If you're looking for answers...go here:

www.miata.net - specifically the FAQ and Garage sections
www.miataforum.com - for all your Miata topics (such as pricing)

As to the timing belt, the service interval on Miatas is the same as Proteges...ie: plugs, air filter, all oils (engine, transmission, & differential), and coolant every 30,000 miles / 48,000 km with a timing belt and fuel filter thrown in every second multiple (ie: 60,000 miles / 96,000 km).

Miatas are very overbuilt...so if it's running fine (you should do a compression check), it probably is fine.

B.L. Zebop said:
If you're looking for answers...go here:

www.miata.net - specifically the FAQ and Garage sections
www.miataforum.com - for all your Miata topics (such as pricing)

As to the timing belt, the service interval on Miatas is the same as Proteges...ie: plugs, air filter, all oils (engine, transmission, & differential), and coolant every 30,000 miles / 48,000 km with a timing belt and fuel filter thrown in every second multiple (ie: 60,000 miles / 96,000 km).

Miatas are very overbuilt...so if it's running fine (you should do a compression check), it probably is fine.

So with 92K its way overdue for the timing belt. Is it a very difficult job on these to do the belt? Could not be as bad as my Maxima that is a six cyl. Is there a link with the proceedure available?

billy bronco said:
So with 92K its way overdue for the timing belt. Is it a very difficult job on these to do the belt? Could not be as bad as my Maxima that is a six cyl. Is there a link with the proceedure available?
The timing belt on the Miata (in my opinion) was the easiest I've ever done. Just remove both fans from the radiator (to provide a bit of extra space). While you're there, you might as well replace the water pump (preventative maintenance).

Check this link for the procedure: http://www.miata.net/garage/timingbelt.html

kcbhiw said:
The timing belt on the Miata (in my opinion) was the easiest I've ever done. Just remove both fans from the radiator (to provide a bit of extra space). While you're there, you might as well replace the water pump (preventative maintenance).

Check this link for the procedure: http://www.miata.net/garage/timingbelt.html

Great, glad to hear it, I'll do the belt, pump and major tune for starts. Do you need to adjust the valves on these things?

billy bronco said:
Great, glad to hear it, I'll do the belt, pump and major tune for starts. Do you need to adjust the valves on these things?
I'm pretty sure that you don't.

The only car specific items that you're going to need are the water pump, front main seal, two cam seals (unless yours are still good - preventative maintenance), and valve cover gasket (again, only preventative, yours may still be good, just use RTV in the appropriate corners). All of this can be found at or orded from local auto supply stores. The last time I priced water pumps, they all ranged about the same price, online and off. A seal will only cost a couple bucks.

As far as a tune up, all that's really required are 4 spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, and maybe plug wires and serpentine belts. All of this can be purchased locally. Brakes, local also unless you are looking for a better than OE replacement.

While you're at the parts store, I suggest investing in a Haynes or Chilton's manual. They're not the best in the world, but they're an excellent reference, especially for projects like this.

kcbhiw said:
The only car specific items that you're going to need are the water pump, front main seal, two cam seals (unless yours are still good - preventative maintenance), and valve cover gasket (again, only preventative, yours may still be good, just use RTV in the appropriate corners). All of this can be found at or orded from local auto supply stores. The last time I priced water pumps, they all ranged about the same price, online and off. A seal will only cost a couple bucks.

As far as a tune up, all that's really required are 4 spark plugs, fuel filter, air filter, and maybe plug wires and serpentine belts. All of this can be purchased locally. Brakes, local also unless you are looking for a better than OE replacement.

While you're at the parts store, I suggest investing in a Haynes or Chilton's manual. They're not the best in the world, but they're an excellent reference, especially for projects like this.

billy bronco said:
Thanks sound like fun! What are your feelings on the auto the way I discribed it and the price, sound like a fair deal?
I think it's fair, but I've honestly never priced one that new. I paid $3500 for my '90 (typical range for the year) with 128k on it. If I were you, I'd have a compression check done on it. If that turns out well, go for it! :D

Hey, brought car home last night, crusin at 70 very nicely on the highway. Need to really get into this thing now, gotta go thru the whole thing for sure.

First thing is a little detailing then major tune & timing belt and all the other little stuff under the hood.

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Be sure to post a few pictures. (2thumbs)

billy bronco said:
Is there a good online store to buy all my parts at a good price for this car. Need major tune, brakes, belts ect ??
congrats and welcome to the Miata world. Like what kcbhiw said you can buy most of the part locally but I thought I'll share this to you anyway.
www.mazdastuff.com is the place too..(no affilation here) just a long time very happy customer. :) Also you may want to consider buying Keith Tanner's book for performance and maitenance info. Very detailed and lots of colorful pictures. (in my case it helped alot -I hate reading sometimes) You can order the book from Flyin Miata. Good luck..

Back