GReddy Miata Turbo Kit

StreetUnit

Banned
:
2003.5 MSP
We have the long awaited GReddy Miata kits in stock. They have been backordered for 5-6 months. Call for member discount.

Thank you.

Probably a stupid question, but is just the manifold available?

GReedy

Unless you're planning on the intercooler and fueling upgrades (sold by Flyin' Miata for the GReddy kit), I'd have to suggest staying away from the GReddy kit. Been there...done that...sold it. Cheap kit (only for 1990-93 1.6L Miatas). By using the oem plastic cross-over pipe, the kit has ham-strung you with continuous hose-clamp issues (being as you can't use one on the plastic pipe). Furthermore, the GReddy air filter is a POS.

If you ever need replacement parts (or special order parts), expect a loooooong wait and high cost...hence GReedy, not GReddy.

YMMV

There is no need to bash a Giant company like GReddy because you had a problem with their kit. Sorry for your mishap.

Thank you.

dude, FM parts are expensive. just buy the BEGI FPR, Jim B's pipes for a DSM intercooler, you can get injectors from a 1.8L or even a turbo DSM, and it will be reliable. look for Jim B's advice on how to cut the manifold so that it doesn't crack and you'll be fine. it's not the best kit, but it's a good starting point for upgrading. oh yeah can't forget the Bipes ACU to help with timing

Dissing GReddy?

I'm not dissing them...I'm merely pointing out the issues with the kit. It's these same issues that are the reason the kit is so inexpensive...but it's basic form is pretty lack-luster and there are some real issues that need addressing if you want a reliable and safe system.

Namely:

- the kit needs a form of ignition control...either a J&S knock sensor or the aforementioned Bipes ACU.
- the air filter is a POS. Very open and porus foam that lets nearly everything through and stops nothing.
- the lack of cross-over pipe will see an owner continually blowing the Mazda hose clamp off at the cross-over to throttle-body pipe connection. The Mazda clamp was not meant for boost, and you can't over-tighten it becuase both pipes are plastic.
- the Aux Fuel Pressure Regulator isn't very good.
- the oil return line routing isn't great
- cut slots in the exhaust manifold to prevent cracking

Furthermore, with the turbo sitting on top of the exhaust manifold as opposed the side as with all other kits, the exhuast routing is tortuous and also prone to cracking. Contact with the heater hoses is also just about impossible to prevent.

To make the kit decent for 5-6psi of boost, you will need to expend more funds than is apparent when you buy the kit.

Things that need doing are:

- replace the supplied AFPR with a Bell Engineering AFPR ($200ish)
- install a J&S or Bipes ignition control unit ($450ish)
- fabricate a cross-over pipe ($??)
- replace the crappy oil return line with a drilled/tapped fitting into the oil pan (Flyin' Miata sells this, but you can source parts locally)
- try to find a better air filter
- have a custom exhaust pipe made to improve the kit piece

At that cost, a FM 1 turbo, which produces more power straight out of the box, actually has Tech Support, acutally has fast and cheap replacement parts, and uses an oil AND water cooled turbo, is cheaper.

There's no dissing the GReddy kit...but it doesn't have the value for money that better kits have...when it comes down to the brass tax end of things.

Last edited:
Oh yea...forgot one more issue

Without a blow-off valve, the stock GReddy kit suffers from massive compressor surge when you let off the gas (close the butterfly valve in the throttle-body). The resultant reverse-direction wave through the intake tubing oscillates back and forth between the turbo's compressor vanes and the closed throttle-body...slowing the turbo down. Nor is it good for the vanes.

The FM intercooler kit for the GReddy solves this, but does require the FM ecu (negating the need for a J&S / Bipes mod, AFPR, and AFP) but requiring 440cc/min injectors as well. A HKS super-sequential blow-off valve, if welded into the custom-made metal intercooler piping can run on a stock ecu, as it doesn't vent directly to atmosphere.

Way to kill any possible interest for those who were considering buying the kit. (stooges) You could have easily just said.....

"To those who are interested in buying this kit, be sure to do your research first". (2thumbs)

Anyone who would have actually done a couple of hours or google searching would have found those issues that you have just posted. There are some good things about the GReddy kit of course. One of which has already been mentioned. Using a starion intercooler will be beneficial, so would be upgrading the tiny downpipe provided by GReddy to the one made by Racingmazda.com which will set you back about $270.
GReddyDP-002.jpg

Again,

I've said nothing bad about the kit...just things that will need attention. The kit's easy to get into ... but that's the hook, as it will require some finicky work over time to keep it running, and you will want more power...so plan ahead.

Your RB downpipe is a perfect example, apart from what FM already has for the kit, of the other aftermarket manufacturers stepping up to the plate to complete what GReddy left off / forgot / was unwilling to include for whatever reasons they had. GReddy is a fine company...but their 1.6L (1990-93) Miata kit isn't as good as it should be. The history behind that is that they released the price long before the kit..and stuck with that budget price and the kit suffered in content.

Foreknowledge is a powerful thing...

c'mon dude, What do you expect with a $1200 turbo kit? People buy this kit and upgrade anyway. This is a kit for people that likes to tinker w/ their cars and its not for everyone. In your case, you shouldve gotten the FM kit that cause almost 3x more. Anyway, I think Greddy turbo is still a good value. As long as you do your relief cuts in the manifold youll be fine. Even w/ just the basic kit, at 4.5 PSI it really makes the little 1.6 very alive. ( 135whp)

APEXistud said:
Way to kill any possible interest for those who were considering buying the kit. (stooges) You could have easily just said.....

"To those who are interested in buying this kit, be sure to do your research first". (2thumbs)

Anyone who would have actually done a couple of hours or google searching would have found those issues that you have just posted.
So by your same logic, he just saved those people a couple hours?

I don't see anything wrong with that... He's not said "don't buy GReddy" he's just saying the truth about the kit... You get what you pays for.. If you don't wnat to jump into a high dollar FM/BR kit, then this is a decent option.

Just realize, it is a budget kit, and with that there are sacrifices.

Thanks!

B.L. Zebop said:
Again,

I've said nothing bad about the kit...just things that will need attention. The kit's easy to get into ... but that's the hook, as it will require some finicky work over time to keep it running, and you will want more power...so plan ahead.

Your RB downpipe is a perfect example, apart from what FM already has for the kit, of the other aftermarket manufacturers stepping up to the plate to complete what GReddy left off / forgot / was unwilling to include for whatever reasons they had. GReddy is a fine company...but their 1.6L (1990-93) Miata kit isn't as good as it should be. The history behind that is that they released the price long before the kit..and stuck with that budget price and the kit suffered in content.

Foreknowledge is a powerful thing...

I appreciate your posts as I'm in the 'trying to decide which FI setup to go with' camp. It really helps when knowledgeable people post their experiences.

Bender said:
I appreciate your posts as I'm in the 'trying to decide which FI setup to go with' camp. It really helps when knowledgeable people post their experiences.
You're welcome! That's all I'd intended my posts to be... I wish that there had been someone with insights into the kit when I bought mine.

I bought my kit in combination with another club member, to which, he's still running his, with a custom Spearco intercooler, FM cold air intake, and FM ecu...putting out 14psi boost. Kit's still running fine after 7 years... But, I will warn you...boost is addictive....and you will want to upgrade, as 5.5psi of boost won't cut it for long.

Back