Talking with dealer about MSP availability

Jim Frye

He stated that Mazda dealers have to pay $1,200 per model to join the MazdaSpeed program. That's $1,200 for the MSP and another $1,200 if they want to participate in say, the MS Miata program. The purpose is to provide training for the specialty models for service, parts, etc. They get their alotments based on how many Mazdas they sell monthly and a few other criteria such as whether or not the dealer is an "Elite" dealer or a "President's Club" dealer. The local dealer here is both and will be getting 12 MSPs for this model year. Probably at a rate of 2 per month. He expects them to go for MSRP plus $500. Grab your check books and get there fast! Jim

You shouldn't be paying over MSRP. Many of us are just paying MSRP plus the destination fee which brings the price to $20,500.

Mark

If you are in NW Ohio and look to be being charged more by the dealer then consider metro Detroit. Tax here is 6% (which might be better than your county) and my dealer is selling at MSRP.

He's right. Shop around. I had a dealer trying to charge me +$2K but by looking around I got him to MSRP.

I have talked to that dealer. They are shady. Is this dealer in Fostoria or in Toledo? What he told you is pretty much wrong. I was told that they have to play a flat rate to become MS dealers. Then their techs, managers, parts people go to the intro. If you are in NW Ohio, I would go to the dealer that is in Detroit or the dealer I am dealing with in Kalamazoo. But they are getting 1 and it is mine, regardless of color. Andrew on this board can give you a person to talk to for the dealer in Detroit. I did not have good relations with either of those Ohio dealers. There is 1 good dealer in Cincy to.

-Jeremy-

PS I also talked with a dealer in Southern Indiana who first said they are going to markup the MSP, well she called me back today to inform me that they will be charging MSRP and that is it.

Last edited:
What dealership is this? I'm going to Mazda of Wooster, OH. They are charging MSRP, mazda elite, and seemed knowledgable to me.

Err, nevermind...wooster is not NW ohio. However, this is also another alternative to the one in Detroit.

I tired to post this last night, but the forum kept losing the post and saying I wasn't logged in. For what it's worth, I was at Brown Automotive finalizing the purchase price on a '03 P5. The MSP just came up in conversation and I thought folks here would be interested. My take is that the deal you get depends on which person you talk to and how much you know. As far as the other dealers in the area, I have spent the last few months shopping for a new vehicle (Honda or Mazda) and have tried every dealer in a 70 mile radius. Here's a rundown on my Mazda experience:
The dealer in Fostoria, OH has been putting me off with "we can't give you a price because the manager doesn't have the 2003 prices yet". Oh Please, the 2003 prices have been on the Mazda web site since August the second.
The MI dealers will not call me back or reply to my e-mailed requests for prices on cars they have in stock. Cook Mazda keeps sending me spam on "deals", but won't reply about a certain car.
I got the price I wanted with no haggles from the Toledo Mazda dealer. I'm comfortable with them having bought two "88 Mazda 323s and an '83 Honda Civic from this dealership. Jim

Back