How long will a Miata Last?

TankerIP

Just a saw a '91 Miata for sale w/185,000 miles. What's reasonable mileage for a Miata before needing new engine or other really major work? I might want to make an offer. It's cute and hopefully cheap, but will it quit in six months?

Any tips?

what are your plans? daily driver? auto-x? race? sunday convertable?

it mostly depends on the previous owners and how good they maintained it... engines CAN last for a lot of miles, if properly maintained, but if they failed then that engine isn't going to last much longer. of course the possibility is there that since its high milage it could have a lot of stuff already replaced or rebuilt.

do you have a maintainance history on it? reciepts?

This guy has been to the moon (woowoo)

BeenToTheMoon.jpg

The Mazda B-series engines (BP-ZE, B6-ZE, etc) are known for their longevity. They are a marval of over-engineering (designed for boost). There are many testamants on the formentioned forum (http://forums.miata.net) of milage far exceeding that of 200k. My primary Miata has 135k miles with about 400 "race" miles on it. The engine still runs like a champ, yet the transmission is a bit notchier than that of a new car. Overall, no complaints. I'd say that if you are looking for a fun weekend cruiser, even auto-xer, then you should have no problems (other than the minute particulars of a 14 year old car).

Miatas are typically very simple, sturdy, overengineered cars. My '99 currently has 88,000 miles on it, more than 2000 miles of open track time, and over 500 autocross runs. It also serves as my daily driver, and it's yet to have any major mechanical problems (knock on wood).

If the car has been well maintained, then there is no reason you shouldn't be able to get another 100,000 miles out of it with minimal mechanical expenses beyond routine maintenance.

Still, I'd probably have a compression and leakdown test done on any potential purchase that had that many miles, Miata or not. The price of the testing could save you a lot of money in the short term if the car turns out to have a bad motor.

also get a timing belt change, unless you have documented proof (via reciepts) it has been done on schedual

altiain said:
Still, I'd probably have a compression and leakdown test done on any potential purchase that had that many miles, Miata or not. The price of the testing could save you a lot of money in the short term if the car turns out to have a bad motor.
This is a very good point. I'd also like to add that you should check the VIN number and confirm that the crankshaft is of the later design (IOW, not short nose). Taken from http://miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html "If you have a 1991 with VIN 209447 or more, you're safe". If it is not of the later design, I wouldn't be overly concerened, but you should have the car checked for wear of the keyway before purchase.

i wouldnt mind finding an old miata (90 to 93 model) for cheap to have as a project car. tell ya the truth once the car would be up and running , id sell the protege..

TankerIP said:
Just a saw a '91 Miata for sale w/185,000 miles. What's reasonable mileage for a Miata before needing new engine or other really major work? I might want to make an offer. It's cute and hopefully cheap, but will it quit in six months?

Any tips?

Just drive it. If it seems to run good, then make an offer. That's how I've bought my last two Miatas and am very happy with them.

look for 91.5 and up (crank nose problem fixed). NA (1st gen) miatas go usually for under $4000 depending on mileage and year. otherwise look for a nice '94 and up

1.6L Miatas generally range between $2000-$4000, depending on condition and luck. I paid $3500 for my first Miata with 128k miles and very good condition. I paid $750 for my second, but the paint was flaking off and I had to replace the crankshaft. If you are vigorous in your search, you will find and nice Miata for a very good price.

kool, i want to find one that needs work, and when it is road worthy sell the protege and keep the miata.. i want somthing older to where insurance wont kill me and i dont want a car note.. that and the miata is very customizable ,and has alot of aftermarket support, the 1.6l protege doesnt especially with a automatic..

This seems like the spot to post.

If I were to get an '90-'93 Miata (to race autocross), would I have to pay insurance if it were to be kept strictly off-road and only used once or twice a month racing autocross? (Does the SCCA have a rule requiring you to have insurance?)
Also, would I have to pay insurance twice if I owned 2 cars, or would I get a slight discount for paying insurance for both?

I'm fixing to sell both of my drumsets and I'll have roughly $1200.
And I have WAY to many ideas what I'm going to do about it.

-Chris
note: I'm 15 (16 in two weeks), and I want to race autocross, but I don't want to damage the Protege'.

I'm looking into getting a miata that needs some work also if I don't have to pay double insurance. If I do have to pay for the insurance on both cars, I'll save up for a turbo kit... in the long run.

Last edited:
Prodigy said:
This seems like the spot to post.

If I were to get an '90-'93 Miata (to race autocross), would I have to pay insurance if it were to be kept strictly off-road and only used once or twice a month racing autocross? (Does the SCCA have a rule requiring you to have insurance?)
Also, would I have to pay insurance twice if I owned 2 cars, or would I get a slight discount for paying insurance for both?

I'm fixing to sell both of my drumsets and I'll have roughly $1200.
And I have WAY to many ideas what I'm going to do about it.

-Chris
note: I'm 15 (16 in two weeks), and I want to race autocross, but I don't want to damage the Protege'.

I'm looking into getting a miata that needs some work also if I don't have to pay double insurance. If I do have to pay for the insurance on both cars, I'll save up for a turbo kit... in the long run.
SCCA doesn't require insurance. However, if you do wrinkle it up on course, insurance will not cover anything. If you drive on the streets to an event (or whatever), you are legally required to insure the vehicle, even if it's only liability (which is how my Miata is insured). However, if the vehicle is trailered only, no insurance is required.

For owning two cars, you may get a bit of a discount, but I haven't paid that close of attention to my account.

You speak of the same path that I took which is probably wisest (in regards to not damaging the Protege. Be warned, though, that being 16 and two cars won't be cheap.

WHEN (not if ;) ) you get the Miata, feel free to give me a call anytime. I'd be more than happy to show you how to drive/fix it ;).

kcbhiw said:
SCCA doesn't require insurance. However, if you do wrinkle it up on course, insurance will not cover anything. If you drive on the streets to an event (or whatever), you are legally required to insure the vehicle, even if it's only liability (which is how my Miata is insured). However, if the vehicle is trailered only, no insurance is required.

For owning two cars, you may get a bit of a discount, but I haven't paid that close of attention to my account.

You speak of the same path that I took which is probably wisest (in regards to not damaging the Protege. Be warned, though, that being 16 and two cars won't be cheap.

WHEN (not if ;) ) you get the Miata, feel free to give me a call anytime. I'd be more than happy to show you how to drive/fix it ;).
Thats exactly how I thought insurance would be.
I still have to take time to research Miatas, since I don't know all that much about them compared to what I know about the protege.
I assume that the miata would cost less than $200 a month, if it were to only be a track car. And I'm guessing that I'd have that much to spare.
Now, I need info. about purchasing(and possibly registering?) a trailor.
This all doesn't have to happen by tomarrow I realize, it may be awhile..:(
Thanks for all of your help.
-Chris

..to be continued...

Back