News from MSP Dealer Get Together

My dealer just got back from their sales meeting and kick off of the MS-P. He is an autocrosser and has raced Porsches for many years and was very active in PCA. He said that if he were autocrossing again this would be the car to do it in. He said this car has it all right out of the box. He was totally blown away by this car. We had a half hour conversation on this car and some interesting things he told me were:

* The first wave in 2002 will be starting on October 15th. They will be a mix of black and orange (all 1750 of them). There will be a second wave in the spring with different colors. He heard rumors of Titanium grey and Vivid Yellow.

* He said the orange paint is so much better in person. He said the flecks were so huge and the clear coat so deep you could jump into it.

* The manual for the stereo is larger than the manual for the car.

* He loved the interior and thought C&D was out of their minds for saying it was low rent.

* He said the car was just fast. Not a throw-you-back-in-the-seat feel but a stong pull feel. He said before he knew it he was flying. He drove it by himself and with others in the car.

I trust this guys opinion. He has all the promotional material from the meeting. He said I can stop by and copy whatever I want.

If there is something you want to know, let me know so I can find out.

I guess I need to get a FOR SALE sign for my Honda now.

Jonny

Last edited:
My dealer still doesn't know sh*t! He swears that only orange will be coming and then black to follow in December or so. What ever color comes first I have the first shot at. I have also heard the orange is sweet in person, I am going to pimp the orange I think. I can barely wait I am so excited to get this thing. I currently drive a Matrix XRS 6 speed and I can't wait to get rid of it.

Well, this is what my dealer said when I emailed him. I'm just happy because it looks like us Black Mica people won't have to wait longer than the orange. I think he got the colors reversed though.

Hey Justin!
This just in from Mazda:
" For 20031750 vehicles for the US, (600 Spicy orange and 1150 Black Mica) to be released in 4th quarter 2002." -taken from a new MazdaSpeed policy and procedures guide.
I was out of town all last week- and missed the Charlotte MazdaSpeed training- bugger- they had a good time- and your car is gonna be fast!Your Mazda should be showing up in October from what's being said. No worries!
Take 'em easy and send me some business! Remember- IBM employees qualify for S-plan- apreferred pricing with Mazda where a customer buys under dealer cost. It's a sweet deal! (of course turbo-charged models are not eligible! Sorry bud!)
Thanks again Justin- and see you soon!
Isaac
Isaac Cornetti
Internet Manager
Capital mazda of Cary

SpecialK said:
I currently drive a Matrix XRS 6 speed and I can't wait to get rid of it.

Hey, what's wrong with the Matrix XRS 6spd?..
i test drove one and thought that this car was well worth it..
although it looks a bit funny, i think it's a well equipped car for the $... how's the accleration?

It is like you are driving a minivan or something. The seats and the seating position totally suck in the matrix. Acceleration is pretty good but vvt need to kick in @ 2000 rpm sooner than it does, no one make a controller to adjust it. I don't like the shape of it either. I will be much happier with the MSP.

Proto-JB said:
Well, this is what my dealer said when I emailed him. I'm just happy because it looks like us Black Mica people won't have to wait longer than the orange. I think he got the colors reversed though.

Proto, I talked to a sales manager there the other morning. He mentioned that they were going to setup a track at Crossroads 20 one saturday morning, and would be giving test drives and handing out mazdaspeed t-shirts. He wouldn't give me a firm date though. If you find out, let me know. I autocross regularly and have been considering getting a mazdaspeed protege. But if I do, then I'll be breaking my promise to myself that I would never own another turbo FWD car. :(

As long as they aren't using MY car for the test drives that sounds cool.

Always nice to know of other members in the area! I've been looking to get into AutoX, too.

I was talking to a dealer rep at the auto show in Barrie last weekend. They even let me take the car for a little spin. The car had not had its turbo installed unfortunately. The intercooler was there...but no turbo. The interior is subtle but nice, the stereo is AWESOME. and I now love the orange paint, especially in the sunshine when the clear coat really shines. He confirmed that a second wave of production was coming to Canada in the spring. He said between 400-500 were coming, depending on demand and he confirmed that the colours would be the silver metallic and the vivid yellow. I much prefer the orange to both of those colours, so I am sticking to my october order

Does the MSP have adjustable camber in the front? That seems to be the biggest issue I have with the MP3 and trying to stay in a stock class. Currently the Neons and Celicas can run up to around 3 degrees negative camber, but the MP3 is lucky to get .5 . Really pisses me off.
Just a thought. If the MSP will be a true autocross contender, this is something it will be desperately in need of. The MP3 is good, but this is one of its bigger weaknesses.

Back