Thoughts on this set up in my hatch

ag bullet

:
2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback,MTX
Did a little shopping around today and decided that I will be adding a sub to my hatch. I don't need window rattling bass, just better depth in what I listen to. I listen to everything: country, techno, rap, rock, metal, etc. So really what I put back there needs to be as versitile as my music. WIth that being said, here is what I am going with:

JL E1400D amp for about $250
e1400D_FLT.jpg

Specs can be found here: http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/e1400.html#

I am going with a single 10" woofer. Like I said, I want to maintain most of my trunk's room and yet just add a little more depth to my music.

JL10W0 10" sub for $100
10W0.jpg

Specs on it can be found here: http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/10w0.html

I also have to buy a simple box, line out converter, some wiring and labor. So my total will be around $500.

Advice, opinions and thoughts are all welcome.

Last edited:
yeap...

yeah, i was actually thinking about the exact samething. because theres no trunk youre gonna get a harder hitting sound from you 10 incher. i was actually thinking about just one 12 instead though, but what i want to know is... are you going to change your deck too? cuz i have heard that changing the deck will improve your overall sound. i know youre not going for anything too crazy and for something to just make you happy but what are you thoughts on that?

Mz3_4u2nv said:
yeah, i was actually thinking about the exact samething. because theres no trunk youre gonna get a harder hitting sound from you 10 incher. i was actually thinking about just one 12 instead though, but what i want to know is... are you going to change your deck too? cuz i have heard that changing the deck will improve your overall sound. i know youre not going for anything too crazy and for something to just make you happy but what are you thoughts on that?

I am not going to change the deck right away. Even with an install kit, I think a lot of the "flow" of the dash will be ruined.

chuyler1 said:
That amp is designed more for 2 10W0s. The 10W0 is a great entry-level sub but it is just that...entry level. It sounds great with low power but doesn't really get better with more power. I think you should look at a high power 8" or 10" with that amp:

JL Audio W3v2 10"
Image Dynamics IDQ 10"
Alpine Type-S 10"
MTX Thunder 5500 8"

...and I'm sure people will recommend others.

I have done some more asking around and I am leaning more towards this sub now: JL 10W3v2-d4 (same as your suggestion). It sounds like it will better use the power of that amp.

The 10W0 has and always will be the best sub for its price range and power handling range. I mean, how many subs can sound that good powered by a 100 watt amplifier? I installed two in my friend's 944 using the bridged rear channels of an MTX Thunder 204 (25x4/100x2@12v,65x4/250x2@14.4v) and they sound pretty decent. He was on a tight budget but the sound system is perfect for cruising down the back roads of upstate NY with the windows open and top off.

However, most music enthusiasts who are looking for SQ will expect more from their subs and will be happier paying a little more.

Well thanks for all of the advice. I got everything installed yesterday. I did step up to the 10w3v2 sub. I have thump when I want it, but otherwise a lot more depth in my music.

chuyler1 said:

It really isn't much to look at. A simple silver amp partially under the front passenger seat and a small box holding a JL 10 in the trunk. However I will humor you guys and snap some pics of it in the coming days.

Back