Excessive brake dust on the rears

ag bullet

:
2004 Mazda 3 Hatchback,MTX
Hey all, I picked up my 3 hatch a week ago and it seems that the rear wheels get a lot more brake dust on them compared to the fronts. The fronts almost look clean compared to the rears.

Is this part of the breaking in process for the brakes? I used to the fronts being dirty and not the other way around.

I did search but didn't really find an answer to this question.

Last edited:
the main problem is cheap brake pads. If you dont want a lot of brake dust, switch over to a different pad that doesn't release a lot of residue, or wash your car every 3days to a week....

Rock said:
the main problem is cheap brake pads. If you dont want a lot of brake dust, switch over to a different pad that doesn't release a lot of residue, or wash your car every 3days to a week....

The thing is, I don't know if it is crappy pads, the brake distribution or a real problem. I have noticed under a sudden stop that the front doesn't tend to dive much, so maybe the proportion of rear braking is greater than I am used to, but it still doesn't explain why my fronts always look clean compared to my rears.

I have the same "problem" Is it because all Mazda3's brake pads are cheap, or is this something that we should be concerned? Me too I got it a week ago

Only thing you should be concerned about as far as the brakes go is grooving of the disks. My front discs are starting to show signs of this, so need to schedule a dealership checkup.
I believe mazda designed the rear brakes to apply more "clamping" force to provide more rear stability during full braking situations.
But the brake dust on the rear wheels happens to every 3. Just about everyone has posted about it. Nothing to worry about except it makes the car look dirty, and the potential grooving as stated above.

Back