Mazda5

ehhh..... whaddafah ..... how'd the "5" go from a Miata to an MPV....

Yeap, but now they're going to have 2 minivans for the Canadian market... MPV and Mazda5.. Ok they're not the same but.............

New MPV

MPV_08.jpg

Last edited:
the current MPV looks pimp, it even comes stock with smoked altezzas

Mazda Canada is taking a HUGE risk in bringing the Mazda5 to Canada (in many ways, a bigger risk than the Pro5 - which obviously turned out to be a tremendous success). The Mazda5 is a mini-minivan by N. American standards. In Europe, Oceania, and Asia, this type of vehicle is very popular - in fact, the Mazda5 is the replacement for the Mazda Premacy (which never came to N. America).

Having said that, I understand why Mazda Canada is taking this risk - N. American minivans are going bigger and bigger and the MPV is no match (nor would it make business sense for Mazda to go bigger). Even though the Mazda5 is not a direct MPV replacement in all markets (as I said, it's a Premacy replacement), Mazda may have decided to go another route and focus on going smaller while others go larger. I know for a fact that both the Premacy and MPV will be stopped in the UK when the Mazda5 is released (so it'll be interesting to see what happens to the MPV in N. America).

It will also be VERY interesting to see if MazdaUSA brings in the Mazda5 - when asked about the MX-Flexa (the concept of the Mazda5), the president of MNAO said that any vehicle that fits the Canadian market would probably fit US as well.

One final thing, the Mazda5 is based on the Mazda3 platform (with an extended wheelbase). The Mazda3 2.0l engine is already confirmed for the Mazda5 in Europe. As such, I'm sure the Mazda3 & 6 2.3l will definitely be one of the engine choices in N. America, but will it be powerful enough for N. Americans?

You have to know (fellow americans) that the Canadian market is very different from the American. Up here small cars sell like crazy like toyota echos, they're every where. We have a big part of the urban population living in or near the downtown areas so smaller cars like I said before sell very well. I think that for the Canadian market habing the 5 and the MPV is a very calculated risk.

I drove that minivan (in the picture) in California a few weeks ago on vacation. We rented it at one of the car places... at least it looked exactly like that. Almost a Mazda3 looking front end, altezza-style rear tail lights, a V6 with a 5-speed automatic. Had upholstery kinda like the last generation Honda Prelude. Anyway, it wasn't bad for a minivan... I'd consider getting one if I was in the minivan market. It handled good, we found the dual sliding doors real convenient, as well as the 3rd row seating. Lots of little cubby holes for stuff.

I thought it said MPV... maybe the one in the picture just reminds me of it. or california rental places get 'em early?

It looks like a Toyota with a Mazda badge, YUCK! I much prefer the MPV, looks better than all the other minivans and has the best powertrain over all other minivans.

Back