TurboHoses SMIC & Hardpipes (Orders being taken)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StreetUnit

Banned
:
2003.5 MSP
Long awaited Intercooler that shows gains is finally here.

Orders now being taken for the SMIC. It is a limited production unit. The first production run will be 5 SMIC. First 5 orders paid for will secure a spot on the first run. Once the 5 spots are filled, 5 more spots will open up for production run #2 and so forth.

SMIC will ship out in 2 weeks.

SMIC
$595 + shipping ($15ish).
SMIC & Piping Kit
$975 & Free Shipping

TurboHoses Aluminum Hardpiping kits also availible with and without aftermarket BOV. Hardpipes availible

Please post questions regarding the SMIC.
All orders must be called in. Thank you.

TEST RESULTS:
Our test vehicle is completely stock and tested with Turbohoses Aluminum Piping and stock boost.

The end results are as follows:
Baseline:

1.Turbohoses IC= 158.3hp/169.1ft. lbs tq.
OEM IC= 142.7/159 ft. lbs. tq.

2. Turbohoses IC= 157hp/167.1 ft. lbs. tq.
OEM IC= 142.4/158.1 ft.lbs. tq.

-Break 2 minutes before next run on Turbohoses IC-

3. Turbohoses IC= 158.5hp/169.1 ft. lbs. tq
-Break 5 minutes before running OEM IC-
OEM IC= 140.7hp/ 152.9 ft. lbs. tq.

4. Turbohoses IC= 154.6hp/162.4 ft. lbs. tq.
OEM IC= 138.7hp/150.2ft. lbs. tq.

Note:

Turbohoses Ambient Air temp.= 87 deg.
OEM Ambient Air temp.= 83.5 deg.

Dynoing with the OEM IC resulted in hesitation on WOT.
OEM Intercooler Pipes: Unable to complete dyno run due to engine hesitation at WOT.

We also took a temperature reading comparing aluminum vs. steel piping using the stock IC.
Aluminum- 100-108dg. f.
Steel- 135-142 dg.f.

Attachments

• engine_bay_04.jpg
    engine_bay_04.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 684
  • th_smic_5.jpg
    th_smic_5.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 414
  • th_smic_6.jpg
    th_smic_6.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 282
  • th_smic_7.jpg
    th_smic_7.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
MS MSP said:
Price for just the hardpipes please?
Thanks!
i know for sure that turbohoses lists them as $495, but ********** might offer a different price

*okay just checked, cullen lists it for $395 on his website

**********... so those hp numbers are stock boost? What sort of gains could I expect boosting at 10-12psi?

ONRAILS said:
**********... so those hp numbers are stock boost? What sort of gains could I expect boosting at 10-12psi?
The numbers above were on stock boost levels.

I will have a SMIC here soon to test higher boosts on, but I have a feeling that guys running 9-10psi (including myself) could see an additional 6-8+ hp increase over the already 17hp increase found on stock boost levels.

Cool... let us know!

********** said:
The numbers above were on stock boost levels.

I will have a SMIC here soon to test higher boosts on, but I have a feeling that guys running 9-10psi (including myself) could see an additional 6-8+ hp increase over the already 17hp increase found on stock boost levels.

********** said:
It is a limited production unit.
Do you mean Turbohoses wont be making the SMIC for long or do you mean it in the way you explained how you will be selling the SMIC?

The first run is 5 units. When the order fills up, I will place another 5 on order and they will go into production and so forth.

chillinmcmillan said:
$975 for a SMIC and pipes r u kidding me, Hi-boost FMIC is cheaper
I said please post only questions. But it was only a matter of time to get one of these comments.

If you read the test results, this SMIC actually shows GAINS of 17hp and that is WITHOUT an aftermarket intake. Would you like to spend $800+ on a intercooler that gives minimal gains, if any? If so, then the FMIC is the route to go.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I will probably be one of the first to get one of these because I ordered it from turbohoses right after the dyno results came out. I will post on my results once I get it and install it. I am and will continue to be at stock boost until I get engine management. Any of you who know anything about Turbos know that the T25 is a journal bearing turbo (not ball bearing). This is an outdated design and has a slow response (spool up). The pressure drop associated with an FMIC will only make it worse. Unless you plan on going with the GT30 that Hiboost has in development, the upgraded SMIC is the best option. If you want the FMIC for looks, then get it. An FMIC would be best for any turbo boosting 15-25 psi, but everybody assuming it is best for every application is misled. I personally plan on going with the SMIC, home-made CO2 sprayer, Aquamist water/alcohol injection, and if I get daring some day when I get a standalone I will incorporate in a 30-50 shot of direct port nitrous. I will never boost over 12-14 psi even though I plan on someday going to a GT28RS for better response and efficiency. Think about your plan for your car before you make a decision. Personally, I wouldn't want someone to see a FMIC on the car, then laugh when they find out that I am only running a 13.5 to 14 second car. People will expect a beefed up engine when they see the FMIC, so I would want to have the supporting mods to match.

jurgs01 said:
I will probably be one of the first to get one of these because I ordered it from turbohoses right after the dyno results came out. I will post on my results once I get it and install it. I am and will continue to be at stock boost until I get engine management. Any of you who know anything about Turbos know that the T25 is a journal bearing turbo (not ball bearing). This is an outdated design and has a slow response (spool up). The pressure drop associated with an FMIC will only make it worse. Unless you plan on going with the GT30 that Hiboost has in development, the upgraded SMIC is the best option. If you want the FMIC for looks, then get it. An FMIC would be best for any turbo boosting 15-25 psi, but everybody assuming it is best for every application is misled. I personally plan on going with the SMIC, home-made CO2 sprayer, Aquamist water/alcohol injection, and if I get daring some day when I get a standalone I will incorporate in a 30-50 shot of direct port nitrous. I will never boost over 12-14 psi even though I plan on someday going to a GT28RS for better response and efficiency. Think about your plan for your car before you make a decision. Personally, I wouldn't want someone to see a FMIC on the car, then laugh when they find out that I am only running a 13.5 to 14 second car. People will expect a beefed up engine when they see the FMIC, so I would want to have the supporting mods to match.
Why do you care about what "people" think of your car?

Good luck with the sales **********!

CustomMSP said:
Why do you care about what "people" think of your car?

Good luck with the sales **********!
What?? That has nothing to do with the reason I made that post. Either you can't read or maybe I'm not speaking English. Mainly just saying that I will give a non-vendor opinion of the SMIC when I get it and that a FMIC is not always better than an SMIC.

jurgs01 said:
What?? That has nothing to do with the reason I made that post. Either you can't read or maybe I'm not speaking English. Mainly just saying that I will give a non-vendor opinion of the SMIC when I get it and that a FMIC is not always better than an SMIC.
"Personally, I wouldn't want someone to see a FMIC on the car, then laugh when they find out that I am only running a 13.5 to 14 second car. People will expect a beefed up engine when they see the FMIC, so I would want to have the supporting mods to match."

But, let's forget about this and move on

sorry to be posting this in your thread cullen.

why is it so funny that a MSP w/ a front mount does 13.5-14 sec in the 1/4 ? that's a pretty damn good improvement from stock. so it must be ridiculous that an SRT-4 comes w/ an FMIC and does 13.5 1/4 miles. and the turbo in our cars is not just a T25. it has a modified center section that incorporates ball-bearings, making it a T25R (as stated by the mazda performance section on mazdausa.com), and has a healthy spool up time. the reason the turbo doesn't spool up faster is because of the stock exhaust. opening that up will result in faster spooling.

again, sorry cullen for having to make a small rant in your thread. the products you are offering are top notch. if only i were the kind of customer to make enough money to buy these incredible parts.

I won't clog up the thread anymore. I didn't know that our turbo was a T25R. My bad on the info. I will still post my results when I get the IC for those who are interested in getting it.

jurgs01 said:
I won't clog up the thread anymore. I didn't know that our turbo was a T25R. My bad on the info. I will still post my results when I get the IC for those who are interested in getting it.
please do post them. if it's really worth the $1000, i'm gonna start saving up my money for once.

We are about performance here at **********.com so here is a breakdown on whether to go FMIC vs SMIC from the performance aspect.

Go with a SMIC upgrade if you:
Boosting stock Levels or under 12psi
Want to release the restrictions of the Stock IC
Aren't planning on doing internals or fuel management

Go with a FMIC upgrade if you:
Boost above 12psi+
Are doing forged internals
Have a larger turbo
Have a fuel management system
OR
Like the looks and don't car about performance

If you think about what you want out of your MSP and apply it to the above guidelines, you will get the most gains for your buck. If anyone disagrees, do more research. Thank you.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back