Test drove a MSM today...

:
MSP & MS3
Part of me didn't want to because the sales guy was a pretty cool dude and I wasn't THAT interested in pursuing it... just mildly. Regardless of that, I'm glad I did. Being orange with high performance tires doesn't make my MSP the most pracitcal car in the world. Compared the the MSM, however, it's a freakin Buick! That's part of the apeal. I figure, if I'm going to have an impractical car that sits in the garage 99% of the time, it might as well be the MOST impractical car I can afford.

Outside: flat out gorgeous! Has that "exotic" look to it. The regular Miata just doesn't do it for me... with the 17's and various other nice touches, this car truly looks badass. (or at least as bad ass a miata can look) The tires are also impressive... nice tread pattern. 3 things I'd change, however. FMIC is too squarish and looks weird. They should have put a more rectangular one in there... also, that power antenae is too 80's. nice rubber shorty (like the one on the S2000) would look much better. Lastly, though it would have added to the pricetag a bit, dual exhaust would have looked pimp and further help it stand out from the crowd.

Inside wasn't as tight as I thought it would be. (in terms of seating comfort) and the seats were about a million times more supportive than the MSP seats. (which isn't saying much) overall, it felt as if everything was put together a bit better than what I'm currently used to. (but that might have been do to the fact that its' new) The height of the door was especially nice and allowed me to comfortably rest my arm on the sill. I didn't mind the little triangular windows as much as I thought. Overall, very impressed with the interior. There is one thing that would drive me crazy, however. The 2 vents on the center dash (circular in shape) combined with the hazard lights button (triangular) form to make a virtual face. Everytime I looked at the dash while I was driving... it sort've freaked me out. Like a clown or something... But anyway, on to the best part (the driving).

Or not so much... the drive wasn't quite as spectacular as I thought it would be. Overall I feel the MSP handles better (which is strange considering its' lack of RWD/increase in weight and height/etc.) Perhaps it's my imagination or maybe just my loyalty to my ride... But I didn't have that same sense of exhilaration I got when I test drove the MSP. Sure, it was sort've quick... and definitely handled well enough. But after the sales guy hyped it up I guess I was expecting a bit more juice. The fact that its so low and a convertible should have made it seem even faster than it actually is. For whatever reason, my car feels faster.

In short, despite the fact that it doesn't seem quite as quick or agile as my car, I'd make the switch in a heartbeat (if my payments didn't go up so much that is) It's simply a better overall product. To be fair, they're trying to sell these pups for close to 27k whereas my car and many others were being sold for nearly 10k less. With that in mind, there's no comparison in terms of value. Anyway... just my thoughts. For those who have one on the board... you've got a sweet ride!

I actually got to spend 6 hours today with the local Miata club on a 200 mile drive around the lower parts of Ohio. I didn't drive any of the Miatas but it was a blast being part of the group in a MSP. I know going through the twisties, it really matters what type of Miata you are following. The newer versions with the 2.0L do a lot better as far as keeping up their speed. The Mazdaspeed Miata took up the rear so I'm not sure how much of the car he was using but it had coil overs which was nice. After that drive, I could really see how you have to work so much hard in a FWD car compared to the roadsters. Yeah, I was able to keep up and most of the time was on the brakes not to run someone over but you can only do that for so long before the front tires give up. If I had my choice, it would be a MSM with coil overs and maybe the Unichip when it comes out. I know the dealers around here are having a hard time selling them so I'm sure I could find a deal.

Back