Mazda Street Heat/I Test drove a Mazdaspeed

LinuxRacr

Contributor
:
2001 Mazda MP3
Yesterday I was in Houston for the Mazda Street Heat seminar for Mazdaspeed Dealers. It was an all day event with informational sessions, that included a test drive of the Mazdaspeed with 3 other people in the car taking turns with you on a 24 mile run around Houston. I was a passenger 1st, and go to feel what it was like to just ride in it. It was a blast! It was not as fast as I expected, but then again we had four 200 LB adults in it also. Even still, it managed to pull pretty nice. The ride quality is better than the MP3! Over the bumps, it rode closer to a Cadillac, but handled like the MP3! I only felt one dip really bad. When I drove it, I expected more power, but I was comparing it to big_ben's ride which would have killed this kid in a speed test. Even still I wonder how it would have pulled with only me in the car!:D Some things to note:

The orange color looks a lot better in person! I think it is great now that I have seen it shimer in the sunlight!

This car has nice stopping power with ABS. When you mash the breaks, there is minimal skid before the ABS kicks in.

The limited slip really helps out on traction. When one wheel started to slip, the other seemed to help correct it.

There is torque steer, but it is controlable! LSD!

I did not get to hear the stereo, but it was really better in practicallity in the trunk area being that the 8" sub, and amp are attached to the deck above the trunk bottom. What a space saver! The radio was MORE complicated to operate than the Z919, and the Z828. To set station memory (24 total), you had to drop into submenus. This could be a problem at speed.

They do not want people messing with the car! They want to keep a certain "exclusitivity" with the car, and owners, which is why they WON'T be selling the turbo, and engine components seperately in a kit. You can't even get the turbo manifold, or rear amp/sub assymbly without a VIN number from your Mazdaspeed, and you would have to give them the old one. The charge piping is clamped together with ONE TIME USE ONLY clamps that if removed would give away that you had been tampering with the car. It would not nessesarily void your warranty, but it would be a good tip off of tampering.

All that aside, I would like to say that Mazda definitely has something good going on here with Mazdaspeed. The 3 "consumers," me included, Hunter Smith of Protegetech.com, and Kyle from the Houston RX-7 Club were allowed to give some valuable input on what they believe should be the way the Mazdaspeed customer should be taken care of. One of thes aspects was the way the car is delivered to the customer. Do you remember the old Saturn commercials of how they would deliver a car to a customer with everyone clapping? It would be like that, but not so damn cheesy! :D It would be more involved with a face-to-face with the person you would be dealing with in every department, and a walkthrough of your car on the ground, and on a lift! We all agreed that building a trust relationship with the customer was the most important. This has been a long post, so until I can remember something else this is it!
mp3smileybanner2.gif
(mspb)

Last edited:
lucky guy!!!!!:eek:

nice post!
do you remember what was the radio model# they finally put in the car?

-the four 200lb passenger surelly helped to "smooth" the ride over bumps! :D

PERRY323 said:
lucky guy!!!!!:eek:

nice post!
do you remember what was the radio model# they finally put in the car?

-the four 200lb passenger surelly helped to "smooth" the ride over bumps! :D

Yeah, it is the Kenwood KDC-MP919

Damn the luck...I was SUPPOSED TO GO!! but I had to stay at home while the floor in our kitchen got replaced.....it was supposed to happen LAST weekend but storm ruined the new flooring at the store....so they came YESTERDAY....damn damn damn!!! I even missed the opportunity to meet up with some of my fellow board members.....damn damn damn!

Did they say anything about delivery. Like will the orange ones be delivered first or will they get the orange and black at the same time?

-Jeremy-

so linux, for a guy that has an mp3 (in my case stock), what would u recommend, keep mp3 and upgrade or sell it and get a mazdaspeed? i never considered the mazdaspeed since i thought parts would be available from the dealer (new or different suspension items, lsd), i dont care much for the callaway turbo kit, but i sure dig black color way more! :D

opinions?

Prophet said:
Did they say anything about delivery. Like will the orange ones be delivered first or will they get the orange and black at the same time?

-Jeremy-

heheh me and Prophet are both wondering the same thing, in like every thread. :D

i want my black mica NOW!!!

Dexter said:

heheh me and Prophet are both wondering the same thing, in like every thread. :D

i want my black mica NOW!!!

<Seinfeld>Somebody tell me, I'd like to know!

Seriously. I am in MSP withdrawal and I haven't even gotten it yet. I need my Black Mica MSP now! Not even playing Gran Tourismo 3 is helping.

I want my Spicy Orange now too!!!...

today, i spent some time in the garage asembling a florencent light in peperation of my MS-P's new home.

but that's in like 3-4 WEEKS??? :'(

I don't like what Mazda is doing with these one time use clamps, just reminds me of when my brother marked his liquor bottles so he would know when I was TAMPERING with his stuff :D. So I do hope it really doesn't void warranty, but I guess if Mods are done than warranty is gone anyway.... :bs:

Does this mean that they will upgrade your turbo, just not sell it to you? The idea of having an upgrade & not void warranty was sounding really good.

Razhael said:
so linux, for a guy that has an mp3 (in my case stock), what would u recommend, keep mp3 and upgrade or sell it and get a mazdaspeed? i never considered the mazdaspeed since i thought parts would be available from the dealer (new or different suspension items, lsd), i dont care much for the callaway turbo kit, but i sure dig black color way more! :D

opinions?

It all depends on what you want. Do you want a lot of mods for a good value? The mods on this car would cost you about $10,000 to get each one alone, and you get them for $2,000 over what you paid for the MP3. If you want that, I would go with the Mazdaspeed. Now if you are looking for more speed than the Mazdaspeed can offer, I would (and am doing so) go with the FM/BEGI Turbo kit.

RuggedMazda said:
I don't like what Mazda is doing with these one time use clamps, just reminds me of when my brother marked his liquor bottles so he would know when I was TAMPERING with his stuff :D. So I do hope it really doesn't void warranty, but I guess if Mods are done than warranty is gone anyway.... :bs:

Does this mean that they will upgrade your turbo, just not sell it to you? The idea of having an upgrade & not void warranty was sounding really good.

The removing of the clamps does not nessassarily void your warranty. They have to prove that the problem is related. I don't remember hearing anything about upgrading a turbo?

I tried to search for the post, but I had no luck. I thought it said that Mazdaspeed was going to sell performance parts strait from the dealer & install the parts without voiding warranty, but only to Mazdaspeed onwers who then had to give up the part they were replacing or upgrading, like a turbo.....I could be wrong :confused:, if I am, hey now I know.....

RuggedMazda said:
I tried to search for the post, but I had no luck. I thought it said that Mazdaspeed was going to sell performance parts strait from the dealer & install the parts without voiding warranty, but only to Mazdaspeed onwers who then had to give up the part they were replacing or upgrading, like a turbo.....I could be wrong :confused:, if I am, hey now I know.....

Oh, I get ya...Yeah, when replaceing a part on a Mazdaspeed, or any Mazda, you usually have to give up the part.

Damn the luck...I was SUPPOSED TO GO!!
Yeah, me too. I had to go do something else I already planned to do this weekend. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to settle for smoking the s*** out of the first guy in a Mazdaspeed that patheticaly tries to race me. hahahahahahaha!:D

Great post Linux....you are one lucky guy to get such an extended ride in the new MSP. I too would of course like to eventually get the chance to ride in one just to see the differences in overall feel of the ride/performance etc.

I have a brochure from when they were doing this Street Heat event, it's cool to see this thread 12 years later.

Back