Q? Prot/MP3/MSP "weak" Tranny

PERRY323

:
04 Titanium Mazda 3 GT GFX
Since the other thread on the "weakness" of the manual tranny on the mp3 had merged to auto transmission rumors... ill post a new one...

A lot of people already noticed that proteges tranny are not the strongest ever made... specially the shift from 1rst to 2nd gear... (i know, i cant beat it anymore... was too hard or fast for the synchro...). We all doubt that the tranny in the MSP is the same than the one in the MP3's and the standard prot because there is nothing that tell us to believe something else... so i would like to have the opinion and experience of some hardcore enthusiast like "STOU" who TURBOed their MP3 ....

Stou, at 190WHP, how do your transmission is going??? I dont think that you can have the luxury to powershift her with so much power without leaving it on the ground???

Any input other than my poor english will be appreciated :D

MY car have now 14,000 km on it and my turbo was installed at 8,000 km. I don't have any tranny problem but I'm not hard on it. I don't do powershits. Everything is working fine for now.

Maybe the tranny problem append when you are to hard on it, I don't know. Around here, I didn't heard of any tranny problem.

Thanks for the input!

I know that the tranny problem append when youre too hard on it :=== PERRY323 :rolleyes:

Ill be gentler with the next one... was just wondering because if i can hurt one with a bit less than 100 whp, it could be very easy to do the same with twice that power like your car!! was just wondering ...

A+

im anxious to see some more replies in here too since there seems to be several tranny horror stories over in the MP3 section of this board. The fact that MP3 owners have had this problem but I havent heard of P5 owners having it makes me wonder if it has been fixed......

There's nothing wrong with the MP3 tranny. There have been a few isolated issues that member on this board seem to claim as wide spread. But, I think you'll find out that there is nothing wrong with the tranny. If you really want to know how the tranny is doin, keep an eye on FM Proteges project P5.

I beg to differ with you. The Protege transmission is the weakest link of the car. I don't bang off shifts on the car. I tend to baby it like the car had 125,000 miles on the odo because the box just feels wrong. I have owned a lot of manual shift cars and other than a 1969 VW parts car that I made into a runner one summer have never had such an uneasy feeling about a transmission. I really am considering the extended warranty because of the transmission and the ongoing clutch problems. (I never got an answer: Does ANYONE know how to adjust the clutch??) I double clutch almost every shift and am VERY easy on the shifter. I am sure part of the problem comes from the short shift kit. I think we are beating the synchros on fast shifts.

Has anybody tried changing the tranny fluid? I know in my old MX-3 replacing the fluid with Redline MTL made a big difference. I got confirmation of my results from somebody who had raced a showroom stock MX-3 as well.

What fluid do the racing Proteges use in the tranny?

Yup, its just the synchros that you all are having problems with.....NOT the transmission blowing up from too much power.

The transmissions in the MP3 and MSP (yes its the same G25M-R transmission) are actually pretty tough boxes. They have been known to be able to handle up to 400 ft/lb of torque without building them up.

I don't know what the problem is with the synchros, but I'm assuming it might be some kind of manufacturers defect in the way they made the shorter shifter for the MP3. That and the fact that some people shift harder than others, and might not use the clutch right.

MY 93 protege has the SAME transmission as you guys. A G25M-R with slightly different gear ratios. You could actually bolt a mp3 trans to my car, or vice versa and it would work. My car has 145k and only the 5th gear synchro is starting to show signs of wear.

My suggestion to any MP3 and future MSP owner is the CHANGE THE FLUID ASAP to something decent, like redline or royal purple. You will save the transmissions' synchros from wearing out!!!!!

BondoBob

I never got an answer: Does ANYONE know how to adjust the clutch??)

To answer your question bob, there is no real adjustment on hydraulic clutches. You can adjust the pedal height with the adjustment lock-nut on the top of the pedal arm. Adjusting the height will change the engagement point of the pedal lower or high off the floor. Unfortaunatly it's not like the old style where you adjust the actuator rod on the side of the tranny then adjust the pedal height. It's all done by that one little lock nut and rod on the top of the pedal rod now.

Back