break in period?

enry

Administrator
What's the average break in period for a new car? And what limits should you observe within that time? I haven't been able to get a straight answer from my dealer, that and, I dont't think they really care that much about my car.

i try driving under 3500 rpm all the time ( with occasional 5000-5500 rpm to make the pistons go faster... ) until my first oil chagne ( at 2500 km ) ...

There are many ways that I've read on how to break in a car.

You can drive it without going over a certain RPM range for a certain amount of miles while trying not to keep the car in a constant speed for too long.

or

Drive it like how you intend on driving it. If you want to drive it hard, drive it hard for the break-in period.

These are just some of the ways that I've read on the net.

I personally drove my car like it had already been broken in.

Tony
2000 Eclipse GT
No trills and no frills package

for the first 1,000M i just varied the RPMs alot. drove a little hard every now and then, but mainly took it easy. just dont do any long time cont. speeds.

------------------
"They say I'm crazy but I'm just having fun"
stock for now

I recently broke the 1000km mark. I think when I hit 1500 I'm going to mobil 1 synthetic. Word is it runs better.
What about the brakes? Is it worth it to get those perforated rotors?

I actually read part of the mazda manual today while i was washing the car.. i was looking for a ******* each bypass so the doors wouldn't buzz cuz i wana listen to my Z828 and still have my doors open.... i finally just tape-pressed the little black thing on the door..
smile.gif

Anyway it said the car didn't really need a break in period, just to drive it carefully and not at constant speeds for the fist 1000 km

i thought there was thread even older than this one that someone found before the new version of vB was installed?

not to rain on the parade here :)

your drivers manual has a rough break-in period somewhere in there. i remember runnin through that somewhere in the book 1 day. and 4 synthetic oil, i think u should wait til u got more mileage on the car more like 10,000 Mi. then again, it's a matter of choice so that is up 2 u. good luck.

Back