Anyone installed Pioneer 6x8 Rev speakers yet???

Don Lockwood

:
Red Mazda3 GS
Hey Mazda3 friends!

Has Anyone installed Pioneer 6x8 TS-D680R Rev speakers yet???

I want to replace the stock speakers in my front doors with a set of Pioneer... have always been happy with Pioneers in my cars. I listened to the 6 Rev speakers in a store, but would like to know how the 6x8 sound in the Mazda... i could not find any installed set, so i am asking my Mazda3 friends their opinion.

If you don't have this set of speakers, i would like to know what you have installed. But i really want to keep it simple by installing direct replacement, don't want to make adapters. Speakers need to be efficient so i don't need to install an amplifier. I will be installing a small Kenwood amplified sub box in the truck to beef up the bass.

Thanks!

I got those there nice... i got the 6x9 in the back 2 but like u said need bass

I installed them!

Hey guys!

I did it, i purchased the Pioneer speakers and installed them. Oh! what a difference a good speaker makes! :)

I have a Mazda3 GS (same as 3i) without the stock tweeters and those paper cones are a poor excuse for a speaker, they are boomy and the midrange and highs are all mixed up.... and no imaging.

Now with the Pioneers... WOW!!! Voices are loud and clear, drum kicks very well and i can hear every details in highs.... and imaging is great, even with the tweeters at the bottom of the doors... that HeadUnit is not bad at all. But it needs more kick and those speakers definitely deserve to be amplified.

By the way, the TS-D680R have a built-in 2 way crossover. Good quality speakers with very easy install.... a great upgrade made simple.

RECOMMENDED! :)

Next... a 4 channel amp for a more dynamic sound... OOMPH! in plain english.

anthony2558 said:
any modifications of the mounting brackets, or other special instructions needed for installation?

Hey Anthony2558!

Those speakers are an exact match. Just 4 screws to remove the original unit and screw the new one in. VOIL! I cut the original speaker harness in the door to plug in the new speakers, but left a few inches of wire on the harness... just in case i need to reuse them at some time.

I even reused the plastic rain protectors from the original speakers, those are glued but fairly easy to remove. I used a small flat screwdriver to separate the protectors from the speakers.

The door panels are easy to remove, but i did break a plastic clip.... good thing i ordered a few from my friendly Mazda dealer before removing the panels ;-)

I also installed some Dynamat Extreme just behind the speakers, on the outer door skin. Not sure if that helped, but sure does sound great and bass is pretty well controled.... can't wait to find out how those speakers will work with "real world" 35-40 watts RMS per channel. That should be plenty for my type of listening.

I just put them in my car yesterday I love them they sound perfect. I have 2 set's with audiobahn silk dome tweeters,jl audio 10w7 sub,2 fusion amps. It's one of the best sounding system's i have done yet.

shadowcat said:
I just put them in my car yesterday I love them they sound perfect. I have 2 set's with audiobahn silk dome tweeters,jl audio 10w7 sub,2 fusion amps. It's one of the best sounding system's i have done yet.

how much did your system cost? parts alone

I cant decide between the "Pioneer 6x8 TS-D680R" And "Infinity Reference 6800cs"
does anyone have any feedback between the 2? and which would be the best choice? Including sound quality and installation.
If they are very close in sound quality, I may get the Pioneer because the price seems to have come down on them alot and I guess it would be saving me some money :) I am seeing the Pioneer speaker now going for $94 and the infinity for $200 at cardomain.com
Thanks

p.s.
Thiis is my first post on this boards. I just bought my Mazda3 a week ago and LOVE it! Glad I found this board. Lots of nice information being shared here.

Last edited:
I'm confused

I'm confused about our speakers guys. I hear we can use 6x8 which is a non-circular speaker, correct? Yet on my car the speaker grills are perfect circles, not oval shaped at all. Are there multiple different sizes that will fit? (Mazda 3 Hatch, 2004)

Krunko said:
I'm confused about our speakers guys. I hear we can use 6x8 which is a non-circular speaker, correct? Yet on my car the speaker grills are perfect circles, not oval shaped at all. Are there multiple different sizes that will fit? (Mazda 3 Hatch, 2004)
Just cause the grills are round, doesn't mean the speakers are.

Get yourself a flashight and look through the grills, you will see that they are definatly not round.

5x7's or 6x8, both use similar mounting holes.

You can build mounting plates to hold any round speaker smaller than 6.5 inch diameter.

Last edited:
kid!icarus said:
If you haven't already gotten the speakers I got the Pioneer ones from www.etronics.com w/shipping was only $95 for the PAIR! Way cheap for a vast improvement in sound!

That's where i got my pair :)
Even shipping to Montreal, CANADA is walk in the park as ETRONICS is part of BORDERFREE.... www.borderfree.com... so canadians can order easily from USA and the amount charge on the credit card is in canadian $$$ and includes taxes and duties.... could not be easier. Etronics has a great selections.

Also check EBAY... i got my Pioneer TS-A6857 speakers for $10.99 + shipping, use them in the back doors for fill.... and there are loads and loads of Infinity 6802... very cheap! got a pair for $9.99us ("buy it now" item) just before finding th Pioneers... Kept the Pioneers as i have used Pioneer speakers for about 20 years and always had my money worth.... sold the Infinitys for $75cdn :)

By the way, those TS-D680 sound fantastic, even connected directly to the stock radio, i listen to a lot of jazz and the highs are fantastic and lows are quite punchy.

Last edited:
Don Lockwood said:
That's where i got my pair :)
Even shipping to Montreal, CANADA is walk in the park as ETRONICS is part of BORDERFREE.... www.borderfree.com... so canadians can order easily from USA and the amount charge on the credit card is in canadian $$$ and includes taxes and duties.... could not be easier. Etronics has a great selections.

Also check EBAY... i got my Pioneer TS-A6857 speakers for $10.99 + shipping, use them in the back doors for fill.... and there are loads and loads of Infinity 6802... very cheap! got a pair for $9.99us ("buy it now" item) just before finding th Pioneers... Kept the Pioneers as i have used Pioneer speakers for about 20 years and always had my money worth.... sold the Infinitys for $75cdn :)

By the way, those TS-D680 sound fantastic, even connected directly to the stock radio, i listen to a lot of jazz and the highs are fantastic and lows are quite punchy.

That's good to know.. the boarderfree info.
Have you purchased from them before? How many times? No surprises?

djltoronto said:
That's good to know.. the boarderfree info.
Have you purchased from them before? How many times? No surprises?

Delivery took about 10 days, but no surprises. What you pay for is what you get... and you khow exactly how much $$$ will be charged on your credit card in canadian dollars.

I ordered only once, but i may buy again.... speakers are cheap, but other items like Amps may not be worth it.... the speakers were $75 cheaper overall than if i purchased them in Montreal, but an Amplifier from Pioneer came out about the same price. So shop before ordering, but Etronics is definitely a good place to shop for speakers.

Just make sure you use Canadian Checkout after filling up your shopping cart and all taxes, duties, shipping and money exchange will be computed so you know exactly what you are paying... not a penny more. Delivery is handled by Canada Post, so if you are not at home at time of delivery, just pick up your package the next day at your local Canada Post Office

Happy shopping! ;-)

Don Lockwood said:
Hey Mazda3 friends!

But i really want to keep it simple by installing direct replacement, don't want to make adapters. Speakers need to be efficient so i don't need to install an amplifier.

I also installed some Dynamat Extreme just behind the speakers, on the outer door skin. Not sure if that helped, but sure does sound great and bass is pretty well controled.... can't wait to find out how those speakers will work with "real world" 35-40 watts RMS per channel. That should be plenty for my type of listening.
09-11-2004 10:38 PM

Thanks!

THEY GOT YOU
Hook line and sinker!
I said the same thing when I started, I just wanted to replace the factory speakers (may be 300.00).
OH MY GOD, then I wanted more bass, then the bass was drowning out the highs, then not enough bass again. All in all 2000.00 later I have one HELL of a system! I can give full body messages! But there is a side effect, HEARING LOSS!

I am gona have to try that dyno mat behind the door speaker, at the 32 level every thing rattles! EVEN THE HOOD! (cool)

Rear Speakers?

So the rear speakers are 6X8's as well? I typed in the TS-A6857 into eBay and nothing came up. A bunch of TS-A**** with other numbers came up and were pretty cheap like you said. But no 6857. Is that the correct number? I am very interestred in replacing the the rears as well. Thanks for the help!

Also how hard was it to remove the door panels? Any tips!?

Thanks!

I have these in the front doors of my 2003 Protege5 and am very satisfied with the sound. The installation is fairly straightforward and I recommend using as much Dynamat as possible. The rest of my system includes the factory head unit, Pioneer TS-D680R front doors, JL Audio TS600-CXi rear doors, JL E4300 4 channel for main speakers, JL 250/1 & JL CVS110G-W3V2 subwoofer system. Simple system but decent sound quality!

kid!icarus said:
So the rear speakers are 6X8's as well? I typed in the TS-A6857 into eBay and nothing came up. A bunch of TS-A**** with other numbers came up and were pretty cheap like you said. But no 6857. Is that the correct number? I am very interestred in replacing the the rears as well. Thanks for the help!

Also how hard was it to remove the door panels? Any tips!?

Thanks!

The TS-A6857 is an older model, was in my 2002 Pioneer catalog, now discontinued. Found them brand new on ebay.... may not be avail anymore. Pretty decent sound, Butyl Rubber Surround, 2 way 6x8. Speakers are 6x8 all around. Here is what they look like.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4071_37799,00.html

For removing the door panels, you are just a screw and a bunch of nylon clips away... very easy to remove. But you may want to go to your local Mazda dealer and buy a few extra nylon clips, just in case... i did break one on the first panel i removed. Check that link, pictures and explainations... very easy.

http://forums.mazdaworld.org/index.php?showtopic=3601&st=20&#entry50128

Does anyone have any advice on taking apart the door panels to replace these speakers? Or does anyone have any pictures or know of someone else in the forum who does? I am just trying to ease the process as much as possible. When I last posted to this forum I was asking about how to get at the stereo deck and someone had awesome step-by-step pictures on how to do it. Just curious, Thanks!

Back