a question that perplexes me...

Pro5OnSpeed

Contributor
:
Black tinted '02 P5
WHY DOESNT EVERY CAR HAVE A ROTARY ENGINE?

i have been doing alot of reading on the rotary engine.... what a superior and genius piece of engineering? brilliant.... i salute all who took those steps and kept the RX-7 alive, into legendary status..... i so want an Rx-7 drooooooooooool! anyways, 3 power srtokes in one cycle? take that V-8!

I hear ya man, i wish i could swap my engine for the new RX-8 engine coming out with their new 1.7L rotary engine that produces some 250 or 260 horses, i might be wrong on that. go to mazdausa.com and they have some info on it, wait i'll be baclk to post some info on it, but yeah i totally agree rotatry engine are great but not everyone knows how to work on them and their expensive. :D

POWER

i beleive they call it the RENESIS engine which has been slightly modified from the 13b Rotary, with twin turbos that spool BOOST giving it about 250 i think thats what they said! ME WANT ROTARY! but for now Pro5 is just as fun!

damn i couldn't copy or past and images, but it is 250hp with 50/50 weight distribution and looks great just go to www.mazdausa.com and search for it, go to the vehicles link and then future models I believe.

Re: POWER

The RX-8 Renesis engine is normally aspirated, not turbo and it still puts out 250HP. Imagine if they did put twin turbos on it.

Pro5OnSpeed said:
i beleive they call it the RENESIS engine which has been slightly modified from the 13b Rotary, with twin turbos that spool BOOST giving it about 250 i think thats what they said! ME WANT ROTARY! but for now Pro5 is just as fun!

Pro5OnSpeed said:
WHY DOESNT EVERY CAR HAVE A ROTARY ENGINE?

i have been doing alot of reading on the rotary engine.... what a superior and genius piece of engineering? brilliant.... i salute all who took those steps and kept the RX-7 alive, into legendary status..... i so want an Rx-7 drooooooooooool! anyways, 3 power srtokes in one cycle? take that V-8!

Well, ya see the rotary got a bad rap back in the seventies as being a "gas guzzler" (lord knows the big blocks of those days had great gas milage :rolleyes: ), so the general public did not accept the idea of such a small engine using a bit more gas than your regular little celica or whatnot. They failed to realize that the hp/weight ratio in these little suckers was incredulous :)D) so Mazda was the only carmaker taking a chance in keeping the rotary alive. GM scrapped it's rotary development team in the early stages and I'm not sure what the other two of the Big Three had going.

They missed out and will not be ready when Mazda does it again with the Renesis. The beauty of the rotary turned me onto Mazda in the first place and I will have my RX-8 one day...
250 ponies from 1.3L? *cha-ching* Sold. (yes)

Rotary Corvette

i did some reading and found out that GM was going to buy the plans from Wankel i think back in the 80's. they designed a corvette to include a rotary engine, but no everyone else said you have to put an 8 in it it wont sell! which irks me because i think it was the '79 or '80vette that had a 427 with only 180hp! that sold! people dont care anymore what anything has its all about image.

Re: Rotary Corvette

The '79/'80 Vette had a 350 and about 180HP. I used to have a '78 Trans Am with a 400 Cube big block that was only rated at 180HP. Insurance and Emissions requirements killed those cars. It is amazing how much technoloigy has changed since then. Cars are making twice as much horsepower with engines half the size and meeting emissions. And they get decent gas mileage. This is one of the greatest periods in automotive history in my opinion.

Pro5OnSpeed said:
i did some reading and found out that GM was going to buy the plans from Wankel i think back in the 80's. they designed a corvette to include a rotary engine, but no everyone else said you have to put an 8 in it it wont sell! which irks me because i think it was the '79 or '80vette that had a 427 with only 180hp! that sold! people dont care anymore what anything has its all about image.

Re: Rotary Corvette

Pro5OnSpeed said:

That IS pretty sorry, but how much TQ did it have?

Anyway, rotarys are great and all, but go work on one and then your story may change. I don't know much about them, but I know they are a PITA, and high maintenance.

Dragon_Reborn said:
I hear ya man, i wish i could swap my engine for the new RX-8 engine coming out with their new 1.7L rotary engine that produces some 250 or 260 horses, i might be wrong on that. go to mazdausa.com and they have some info on it, wait i'll be baclk to post some info on it, but yeah i totally agree rotatry engine are great but not everyone knows how to work on them and their expensive. :D

actually its still an N/a 1.3 liter rotary engine

Kooldino said:

That IS pretty sorry, but how much TQ did it have?

Anyway, rotarys are great and all, but go work on one and then your story may change. I don't know much about them, but I know they are a PITA, and high maintenance.
high maintenance? maybe...PITA....depends on what you mean ;)
it's all about the love, man...:)

Back