Autoweek review on SPEED

Black Majik MSP

Contributor
:
2003.5 Titanium Gray MSP #1699
I just caught the end of the Autoweek review of the MSM & I heard them say something surprising. Apparently one of the reviewers complained about some kind of bouncing problem that made the car enjoyable for about "2% of her total driving time." Maybe it's just because she was a chick, but I didn't hear the whole review, so I don't know what the problem was. Did anyone see this or know wtf they were talking about? :confused:

just know that mazda must have forgetten to pay here or didnt pay her enough... thats how all that s*** works.

We've got a 99 Miata that shares almost the identical suspension with the MSM with the exception of the MSM's larger diameter sway bars. One thing for usre it's a bumpy ride say the least. Of course this just one of those trade offs, with great handling often times comes an uncomfortable ride over rough roads. For me, it's completely worth it, my wife, well she tolerates it, but doesn't b**** too much since she wanted the car.

Oh and for anyone who wants to throw the BS flag on what I said go check out the June SCC before you do. They did a full story on the MSM and I was surprised to read that they dug into the parts bin when they were designing the car. I guess the 99 was the best handling Miata produced (until the MSM), but because of it's poor ride quality they retuned the suspension for the following production years.

you caught it all basiclly. she wasn't happy with it, but never said why other than the bouncing.

I haven't driven the MSM yet. Its target for ride and handling was the 99 Sport suspension. This seems to be the best of the stock Miata's with the possible exception of the early 'R' package. The Sport package gives a better ride than the "R' package.

The 99 Sport suspension is what's on my 10AE but I don't find it to be that rough. It is about the same as my MSP but with different trade offs. The Miata is better on bumps in the turns while the MSP is better on bumps in a straight line. They also have different likes and dislikes in a straight line because of the difference in the wheelbases. In short, if the ride of the MSP or MP3 is OK with you then the MSM's will porbably be as well.

Hey Dolphin, do you have a picture of all of your cars together? It would be cool to see them all since they are all blue. Kind of like how Dodge shows all of their cars together & they are all painted red.

The Mazdaspeed cars were designed for car enthusiasts...people who will sacrifice a little ride comfort for superior handling. If she can't understand that, she shouldn't be reviewing the car.

Black Magic MSP,
No actually I don't have a picture of that. It does sound like a neat picture but I do have one green car. The MX-6 LS is the oddball. The hard part is getting them all clean and in the sameplace at the sametime.

Back