Mini disc player - anyone buy the Mazda one?

not sure of cost but I think you can find that on mazdausa.com
as for install, it's pretty much plug and play.

if you read and understood the how-to on how to remove and diddle with you stereo head unit then your more than half way there.

I've given up on messing with my stereo though, I just discovered MP3CAR.com
these dudes are hardcore and i like that!

I planning to build on of those and say "C ya" to the factory mess!

The minidisc player is $412 on www.mazdastuff.com - one of the lowest price parts delaers I have seen. You could also check wwww.trussvillemazda.com - they have good prices as well.

jtallon
The Duck of Death

"Duck, I says!"

Awesome movie.

Retail price on the player is $430 (GJ6E-79-APX) but you will also need the trim panel which is another $75 (B32L-79-BCX).

You should be able to convince your parts people to sell it to you wholesale, which would end up round $404 + tax for both parts.

Considering the incredible lack of popularity of mini-discs in NA, is it really worth it?

I'm one of the 12 or so folks in NA to actually get a MD for the 3. Got the dealer to throw it in for free. But, I installed it.
Install is a snap.
The instructions come with the deck.

any updates on this? I know its not very popular here in the states but I think its interesting that you can fit about 8 CDs on one of these things without having to worry about getting it scratched...

RobMP5 said:
any updates on this? I know its not very popular here in the states but I think its interesting that you can fit about 8 CDs on one of these things without having to worry about getting it scratched...
Sony caught you hook line & sinker.

Check the quality on the playback at those settings. MD was great when I was in high school, but there've been some advancements.

I'd check out iRiver, it's like an iPod, only it costs less, isn't a pop status symbol, the battery lasts longer, plays more formats, and comes with more useful (to most people) stuff.

If you're willing to cram 8 CD's worth of music on a MD, then you'll be fine with an FM Modulator hooked up to an mp3 player. Actually, you could buy the Neuros - which already has the FM modulator built in.

Micah said:
Sony caught you hook line & sinker.

Check the quality on the playback at those settings. MD was great when I was in high school, but there've been some advancements.

I'd check out iRiver, it's like an iPod, only it costs less, isn't a pop status symbol, the battery lasts longer, plays more formats, and comes with more useful (to most people) stuff.

If you're willing to cram 8 CD's worth of music on a MD, then you'll be fine with an FM Modulator hooked up to an mp3 player. Actually, you could buy the Neuros - which already has the FM modulator built in.
Thanks a lot for the info! I will look into those options

Micha is right about the quality getting the 8 CDs. However you can get about 150 min. of music on a MD at 128kb MP3 quality. There is also the Hi-MD which you can get about 5 hours or more on a disc at the above quality.

My point with MD is the bang for the buck. Recorder for ~$100 and discs are $1.25-2.00 each. Verses $300-500 for a HD MP3. with a cheap MP3 player you have to hook up the computer to change playlists or buy memory cards $50 to equal a single MD.
If you are an audiophile and have a LARGE CD/MP3 collection, then a HD MP3 player like the iPOD or iRiver will be better for you. I don't have a large collection and I'm already invested in the MD.
Good luck.

Back