windshield repair ... anyone try this themselves??

mazda3rob

:
Mazda 3 5-door
I had a rock hit my window today (car is less than 2 weeks old). It only has a small star crack in it, maybe 2" long. I saw a windshield repair kit at Kragen and wondered if this is something I can do myself. Anyone done this??

mazda3rob said:
I had a rock hit my window today (car is less than 2 weeks old). It only has a small star crack in it, maybe 2" long. I saw a windshield repair kit at Kragen and wondered if this is something I can do myself. Anyone done this??
I have used those kits tons of times now, they kits that look like a syring are only good if there is no crack, and even then they suck in my opinion.

I like the kit from Walmart, it looks like super-glue and can repair hits, and cracks.

Here are my results so far with these kits:

First rock hit...used kit, filled hit nearly perfect, never spread.
Second rock hit:Same, used kit, filled the hit, and it never spread.
Thrid rock it...hit at edge of windshield, didn't notice until it had cracked a foot. Used a kit to fill the crack, the crack didn't spread anymore until the weather changed from cold to hot, it then cracked a few more inches.
I then re-filled the crack, and it stayed good until I traded in that car.

Fourth Rock hit: Brand new car, rock hit near edge of windsheild again, and cracked about a foot. That was about 6 months ago, and the crack had not spread again until just this week. (When the car was a parked at an amusement park all day)
So I will again have to fill in the new part of the crack, and hope it doesn't go any further.

If the hit isn't at the edge of your windshield then these work great.
If it's near the edge, it will probably crack, and you will be doing like me, and filling it in constantly until you can afford to replace it.

You go 4-wheeling or just bad luck? Thats a whole mess of rock hits for one car one windshield?

I never had a windshield crack until my accident last year.... got my ne 3 though out of it!

Bad luck, and road construction.

Three hits on my first protege, traded that in, and got my first hit only a month later.

Both the hits that cracked pissed me off the most. The hit on my first protege hit literaly 2mm from the edge of the rubber trim, which would have saved the hit.

The hit on my new protege is about 2mm below the windsheild wiper, so if the rock had hit that, no problem.

most window places will repair it for like 25$ ive had it done, and you can't even tell i ever had a chip.

Windshield repair...

Wow.. it's been too long since I've posted.. anyways, the last time I posted was when a rock from a lawn service truck bounced along the road and smashed into my windshield. I thought that it wasn't going to be anything big, but as I was looking in the spot where I thought it hit, right above state tag/inspection sticker, a crack about 8 inches long spread across.. needless to say I yelled bloody murder.

Well.. call insurance company, USAA, and ask them what costs are going to be.. well.. my deductible is $500 for glass repair!! Holy crap.. so I said forget that. I called my Mazda Dealership here in the DF/W area, and they said it would be $550. Since the windshield is still OEM, other glass manufacturers aren't making them yet, but any day now. Blah.. Still waiting for the price to go down, and now the crack is over half way across my windshield. Ahh.. the benefits to owning a new model car.. :)

call insurance, lower deductible. wait a few weeks claim it on insurance. next month raise deductible, hope they dont find out. and dont tell on me lol

I know its wrong but it happens all the time.... Locate a truck on the highway...perferable one carring some type of rock or landscaping material. Get the plate and phone number of the company. Call and tell them that a rock flew off there truck and cracked your windshild. They usally pay because its in there insurance. If not tell your insurance the same story and they will contact the trucking comp insurance. All done.... I dont condone this type of act, and thats why new jersey insurance is so high because people get away with everthing.

I have fixed two hits on my MS3 and both never got bigger, I live in Hell frozen over Wisconsin so that is good. Used the Kit from Walmart

Last edited:
Back